1959 Belvedere Convertible

Like em all

1959 Belvedere Convertible

Post by Like em all »

Just searching the Internet trying to find, production numbers for 1959 Plymouth Belvedere Convertibles. I came across your site, the passion for 1959 Plymouths is incredible, and to see the other 1959 Sport Fury that I had owned, mentioned several times here, was kinda amazing.. Yep I am a collector and car dealer, I like em all, I seem to have a knack for finding cars that have been sitting, un-loved for many years. The black, and red 1959 Sport Fury that was on Ebay was mine, oh and yes it was the mystery one from Carlisle, that so many walked by and did not purchase. After sitting for almost 38 years, we put her back together and even went for a ride, many had the chance to purchase it at Fall Carlisle but walked on by her. She has found a home, with a gentleman that had one NEW, but had unfortunately rolled it over, and it was destroyed. It had two tone paint, swivel seats, a Sport Fury to boot..
I would really like know, how many Belvedere Convertibles were made in 1959,, is there a true figure?... Just found one that has been in a barn for 33 years, it had a powertrain, transplant, done in the mid sixties.. I have another 59,, and a 60, but thats another story. Any info on the Belvedere would be greatly appreciated, but alas, I am listing her on Ebay.
Oh and how many Belvedere convertibles do yo think still exsist today.
New Image.JPG
On the truck, out of the barn
Matthew Keij

Re: 1959 Belvedere Convertible

Post by Matthew Keij »

Welcome,

Do you have the VIN numbers of those 59's for me?
I'm collecting them in a database.

This is nice looking, not a correct rear bumper on this car.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
tomf

Post by tomf »

Most publications list production at 5,063.

Tom Fox
Like em all

Post by Like em all »

Thats the way its been since the 60's, the bumper that is, and the vin for the car is
M253100873,, has a Hi-Po 1963 Dodge, 383, 4 bbl, 320 HP, with early series, one, Hurst 4 speed, and the Posi rear from same 1963 Dodge, has dual exhaust that the labels were not even burned off yet, had it running a day ago.. started up, and drove it, ran like brand new, with some pumping, the brakes were functioning as well,, wish I could keep them all I am out of room,, this is car 185, that I currently have, Thanks for the info
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Welcome - I'm restoring a Belvedere Convertible right now that someone painted the same blue as yours. Mine was sitting in a field in California for 35 yrs. Plus so you can imagine the condition. Compared to what I starte with yours just came off the showroom floor. Curious about that rear bumper, do you know what it come from, it's not a 59 rear bumper. Let us know your name and where you live.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I am kinda partial to Belvedere Convertibles some may say.... :wink: So Welcome aboard!

The Bevly convertible had slightly less made as Tom Fox stated of 5,063 then the Sport Fury convertible which had 5990 made. Tom Fox's convertible, shown in the Showcase section, is the best Belvy convertible restored to day one condition. That would make a good reference point on how to go back to what they looked like when new.

On mine I took some liberties on it is not correct but period looking...I have some SF upgrades on mine while still staying in the Belvedere external trim look.

We look forward to seeing more pictures of your car. There is a current Belvedere Convertible restoration being done in Florida by Dick Koch. Look in the Show your Car section to follow Dick's fine work.

What state do you live in? We may have a 59 Forum member near you...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yours is an early build Belvedere in Evansville.
Probably build in October/November 1958.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yep Matthew is right! it is an early build car in 1958. Nothing gets by Matthew!!!!

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Like em all

Post by Like em all »

I have posted the 59 on Ebay,, you can see her all cleaned up and running,, wish I had time for all of my collection, I have cars that I have not seen in 20 years.
Does anyone know if the power top cylinders are the same from a 1961 Dodge convertible are the same as the Belvedere,, thanks
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Here is the link on the 59 Belvedere Convertible has for sale on E bay, at $8200 right now with 15 bids from 7 Bidders.
Very spirited early bidding...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Plymouth ... 075wt_1131

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

You did good on your question on eBay!

Bumper is indeed incorrect, the sport deck on the trunk was standard on Sport Fury's. Optional on the rest.
If you need any info or answers just let us know!
Like em all

Post by Like em all »

It appears the the bumper if from a 1964 Plymouth Fury,, found picture, several on Ebay have told me that it is correct,, I advised them it is not.. there are a lot of experts on Ebay..
JMG.Sr

Re: 1959 Belvedere Convertible (Florentine)

Post by JMG.Sr »

This car is my beloved '59 convt. "Florentine", (aka Ole Flossie).... She was named after my mother soon after the "Christine" movie came out.. I bought her sometime in '70 and used her as a drag car...She was run in SS/MA with a 305 hp (395 Golden Commando)...I then put her back on the street and did a semi restoration on her and installed the running gear from a wrecked '64 Fury....Bumper and all...This car was originally had a 318 with the 2sp auto....Her original color was baby blue, and I painted her '59 Starlite Blue.....Had a lot of fun with her and she was fast.....Flossie was in dry storage since about '83 until I sold her this past Oct....The ignition keys are the original type that I scrounged from my first car, a '59 Savoy 2 dr sedan, with a 426 wedge that I drag raced at a place called "Vargo" north of Philly and Windgap...So "ol Flossie" has the keys from the first car I bought in "64....
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

8200 for a 59 Belvedere cvt w/ incorrect drivetrain and unknown interior. The market seems to be changing!
I guess from a vintage racing afficionado's POV, this is a desireable car. I wonder if former racer and fellow Listmember Bernie B. from Massachusetts knows of this car?
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Hey Roger, thanks for the plug. But I never saw another 59 Plymouth on the drag strip since I last had mine out in 1976.

This car is off my radar, such as it was (old magazines, Drag News and National Dragster newspapers dedicated to the sport.) But to have been raced in a super stock class was quite a step up, compared to simply stock or lightly modified as mine is/was (car remains "undercover" or dormant in everyman's terms.

Been going to a few car shows and drag meets recently, oldest Plymouth at those events is usually in the late 1960's vintage.
I'm going to a few more events in the next couple months, just spectating of course, keeping my eyes open for anything with fins. There were several 1959 Plymouths, mostly Sport Furys, run on New England area drag strips in the good old days, I've been lucky to find several pictures. Would love to do it again, this time in a hardtop, but as John Q. kindly pointed out, that comes after winning Powerball.

Bernie B.