Do you know where your VIN plate is?

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Do you know where your VIN plate is?

Post by Faulkner »

Folks,

It appears that there was wide latitude in how '59 Plymouths were manufactured at different production plants. There's the usual collection of differences: Grooves, or not, in the grille; circles, or lines, in the brake pedal; orientation of fabric; etc. And there were also differences in where identifying stampings were placed.

For example, it appears that the Evanston plant had a penchant for putting the plate above the brake booster; Maywood cars had there's placed above the heater core. At least, it seems they followed that general rule. Or, did they?

Let's take a survey of '59 Plymouth owners. What are the first 4 alphanumerics in your VIN plate (identifying the plant -- e.g., M295), and where is the plate located? Are you aware of any other plates and stampings on the body or frame? Where are they located, and do you know what information they convey?

Please post your remarks to either the forum or the mailing list, and we will tabulate the results. Thanks, and remember: The '59 Plymouth is today's best buy, and tomorrow's best trade!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Mine is M159100559.which i take from this the following.........
M159 means a Canadian built 6 cylinder,in Windsor Ontario,far as i know my car is Canadian built anyway......
100559 would be the consecutive sequence number,starting at 100000,which would mean that my car is the 559th 59 Plymouth scheduled to be built in that plant,which i take would make it quite an early one,probably built in August or September of 1958.
The other plate is on the cowl above the heater,shows the trim and paint codes.

Bob
tomf

VIN location

Post by tomf »

My Sport Fury M294 Los Angeles built, is on the left door jam just below the open door stop.

My Belvedere Evansville built, is on the cowl above the brake booster.

Tom
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Mine begins with M286 (Evansville I guess – anybody confirms this?). The VIN plate was located over the brake booster. Now it is between the inner front fender and the firewall. :evil: - and Hell, I can't reach it.
vin_-_plate.jpg
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Stefan,

Your car is very rare according to the 59 manual supplement, I think it says M296. There is no record of a M286 in the book!

M296 is for a Sport Fury build in Detroit.

M stands for 1959
2 stands for a V8
9 stands for a Sport Fury
3 is from Detroit
4 is from Los Angeles
5 is from Newark
6 is from Detroit

Mine is an M293.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

You are right Ron – it seems to be a 9. I just couldn't read it anymore. As I said, when I removed it again it slipped thru my fingers right between the fender and the body and I can’t reach it.

Stefan
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi all,

When going through my pictures I found some of another Evansville Sport Fury. Vin is also located above the booster.

Ron
dscf0135_0135.jpg
dscf0054.jpg
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Nighthawk wrote:Mine is M159100559.which i take from this the following.........
M159 means a Canadian built 6 cylinder,in Windsor Ontario,far as i know my car is Canadian built anyway......
100559 would be the consecutive sequence number,starting at 100000,which would mean that my car is the 559th 59 Plymouth scheduled to be built in that plant,which i take would make it quite an early one,probably built in August or September of 1958.
The other plate is on the cowl above the heater,shows the trim and paint codes.

Bob
Also,my VIN plate is on the left door hinge pillar.

Bob
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

My Sport Fury is M293101838. The 3 indicating a Evansville built car. Vin plate is also above brake booster. Date of birth of my car was 11/16/58. Now might be a good question to ask: Seeing there was a Los Angeles plant in '59, why would Ma Mopar ship my Evansville built car half way across the country to a Los Banos, California dealer? If my memory serves me correctly (car is covered and tucked away for winter so I can't check) one of my 4- door 59 Furys has 2 plates on cowl; one is vin # and the other is body code, paint code, etc. I always wondered why the Sport Fury didn't have 2 plates on cowl - or did some have 2 plates? Also I have to mention again; I have a permanent campground space at Iola Car Show each year and that space no. is M29 (which indicates Sport Fury). I just happened to pick that space out of approx 1400 spaces years before I knew what a Sport Fury vin no. entailed....spooky????
batmobile

Post by batmobile »

that is pretty spooky. mine is located in the exact place as the red one above. my car was probably purchased in OK. # is as follows: M133111513
There will be no bringing her back here, I'm selling this sh**hole and buying me a condo.
Dick Koch

VIN PLATES

Post by Dick Koch »

My red and white Sport Fury has a plate above the master cylinder (no power brakes) on the top ledge of the firewall that reads M293 102128. There are two holes on the driver side door jamb but no plate.

My green Sport fury has a plate above the two hoses that go into the firewall on the top ledge of the firwall on the passenger side that reads SCHED-0403, NO-3167, MODEL-MP2P, BT-292,TR-342, SP-BLANK. The plate on the driver side door jamb reads M294 101827.

I would apprediate someone letting me know what these numbers mean.
Thanks,
Dick.
4dHT

Vin plate

Post by 4dHT »

My 59 Fury 4dr HT has a plate right next to the power brake booster, right corner of firewall.
4 lines of info:
line 1: 501 ---- ---- PNY.
line 2: ---- ---- 292 XXX.
line 3: DATE SERIAL BDY TRM.
line 4: 0604 M265109392 264 321.

M=1959 2=V-8 6=Fury
5=Newark (Delaware?)
My car's vin is not in the DMV computer for Connecticut.
After I get body work done, I have to get the vin checked before
I can register and get the plates for her.
I do not have the original seat covers in my car.
I believe the interior was medium blue. I am not sure if white
was the exterior color. Having no build sheet or copy of the IBM punch
card in my car, I still have to get the info. from Chrysler.
Beth Harris.
Roger: Suspect door panels are original. Medium blue with silver and a
small white section. I have a paint chip sheet somewhere, too!
Last edited by 4dHT on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I remember Connecticut DMV being "difficult".
Your original upholstery would have matched or complemented the door panels..are your door panels original?
Exterior color is indicated on your Data Plate, but I do not know how to decode it. I have a Paint Chip card with Code #s, but I don't know where it is at the moment!
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Here's three more name plates for the record.

My Sport Fury convertible was built at Evansville April 21, 1959 and has VIN M293 105124 plate on the firewall above the master cylinder. No body plate present. My parts car, an LA built hardtop has the VIN plate on the drivers door jam, brite finish, M294 100043. There is a body plate on the passenger side of firewall, and what I interpret as a schedule (build?) date of 9-18-58, one of the very first days built there. LA pedals have the horizontal pattern, while Evansville has the dots. I've seen Evansville upholstery with both horizontal and vertical designs, mine is original with horizontal stripes.

My friend Richie Almquist told me his Sport Fury was built to order, before public introduction, and that number was M296 100370 (or maybe 360 for the last three digits), built in Detroit and delivered to him October 10, '58 just a day or two after public introduction.

Evansville built most of the convertibles no matter where they were shipped. From this board I've seen two converts claimed to be built at Newark, Delaware -- the 5 plant code. a bit surprising. Perhaps the heavier frames and other convertible components were sourced closer to those plants. I have seen one Sport Fury convertible from Evansville with a serial number starting in the "6000's" - like M293 106XXX so that may have been a June or even July 1959 build date.

BB
matty

Post by matty »

Mine reads, M254107278.
Not sure what any of it means but there we go!