Rockin' Medallion

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Rockin' Medallion

Post by Faulkner »

My driver's side SF Tiffany medallion rocks a bit on the quarter panel. I know that they're different for the left and the right; and, it's the correct medallion for that side. But the fit isn't that good...

I'm wondering what I can do, short of body work. Should I try and caulk the openings with clear PCV? Perhaps, fit some neoprene as a gasket...

I can send pix, if anyone wants a closer look. I'm just concerned that, if I tighten up the clips on the pins, vibration will cause them to loosen up again because of the space.

HALP!

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Sorry, what is a Tiffany emblem? Pics would help...if it is the circular fin emblem, I have some ideas..
roger
roger.d.howard@comcast.net
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yes, the Tiffany medallions are the circular medallions on the fins. I've taken a closer look -- I see that indeed I have a left and I right. But, I believe the left medallion is on the right side, and vice versa! I'll remove them and report back...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

:lol:
Tht reminds me of something I was doing...I was worried because the hot radiator water didnt seem to be getting thru the heater core..I had the fan on "High" and the control lever all the way down...
Then I looked again at the little knob on the heater control...UP for heat!
Duhh!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

1 of ours is loose too. How can you make sure those things doesn't fall off??? I don't wanna loose one while we are driving. We have 2 extra but i don't want them to fall off
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Well, The World's Slowest Auto Mechanic got around to removing these today. They must be on the correct sides; the pins only line up with the holes one way. So, there goes that theory... Also, on the one side, there's some body filler in the fin in the trunk. A little "injury" at one time may account for the poor fit. I guess I'll have to tighten them up as best I can, and hope for the best.

I've got to repaint the black, and one of the gold pieces has a ding in it that I'd like to take out, if I can. But to remove them, it looks like I have to drill out the rivets from the back. Any ideas about what to do here? Can I epoxy them back in place, and I paint and make repairs?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

For removing I just used a small long screw and a hammer. Put a the medallion on a towel and place the screw on the pin of the gold emblem. They should be out soon. I did it with 2 extra medallions we have.
Roger mailed me after that, that drilling is the best option. Just pick out what's best for you.
You can glue them back in. For the paint I recommand spraying the black. We painted 1 of them and it looked like sh!t. Removed the paint and now they are still waiting for some new paint. Wish I could helped you!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi dan,
Two thoughts: the medallion is incorrect for that side of the car, but someone drilled holes and mounted it anyway. Look for "original" holes.
Thought Two..The fender has been damaged and repaired, but not quite right.
I would grind or drill the peened-over ends off, then make your repairs. Blask spray paint worked fine for me. Then use epoxy to re-attach center piece.
tomf

Post by tomf »

Hi Dan, Something I have done to restore the black in the medallions and the F in Fury and even the black in the hubcaps is use a black vinyl that a sign maker uses. If you have the gold emblem off the medallion, you can stick the vinyl on the emblem and trim the circle with a razor knife. On my hubcaps I carefully measured one of the squares and had a sign maker cut out over two hundred squares ( it takes 192 for four hubcaps). Just lift each vinyl square off the sheet with the tip of a razor knife and lay it into the square on the hubcap. Always make more than you need, because if you get one crooked you can try again. This is time consuming but really does a neat job.
Tom
fury_medalliom.jpg
fury_hubcap.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Hi dan,
Two thoughts: the medallion is incorrect for that side of the car, but someone drilled holes and mounted it anyway. Look for "original" holes.
Thought Two..The fender has been damaged and repaired, but not quite right.
It could be either Roger, I'm not sure. I do know that they were both stamped with part nos, and one was odd, one was even. But they weren't sequential! I don't know what that means...

One thing I do know, there's a thick side and a thinner side. I would have expected the thick side to go towards the rear, since the fin wraps in a bit, but that's not how they are on my car...
rogerh wrote: I would grind or drill the peened-over ends off, then make your repairs. Blask spray paint worked fine for me. Then use epoxy to re-attach center piece.
OK, thanks for the tip.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

tomf wrote:Hi Dan, Something I have done to restore the black in the medallions and the F in Fury and even the black in the hubcaps is use a black vinyl that a sign maker uses. If you have the gold emblem off the medallion, you can stick the vinyl on the emblem and trim the circle with a razor knife. On my hubcaps I carefully measured one of the squares and had a sign maker cut out over two hundred squares ( it takes 192 for four hubcaps). Just lift each vinyl square off the sheet with the tip of a razor knife and lay it into the square on the hubcap. Always make more than you need, because if you get one crooked you can try again. This is time consuming but really does a neat job.
Tom
What a cool idea, Tom! I'd spend at least as much time masking for paint, as I would dropping these on -- but then, I'd be done! And no flash from the paint, or tape underruns... I like it!

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I'm stumped on the medallion problem. Sure seems like the medallion #s were just one number apart, but I don't recall for sure.
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Dan - On mine - the thicker part of medallions are also toward the FRONT, and fit perfectly.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Fins59 wrote:Dan - On mine - the thicker part of medallions are also toward the FRONT, and fit perfectly.
Thanks! That confirms, then, that the holes are original -- and, that I've had some "fin settling" over the years :cry: Oh well, I'll make do...

Dan
big m

Post by big m »

Hi Dan, you had noted that there was were signs of previous body work in the area of the medallions, possibly the contouring was not done perfectly or after some years the filler has shrank. This is a common problem with plastic filler if put on too thick. To remedy the rocking problem without re-doing the body work, simply use a good quality clear silicone for automotive gasket sealing, and put a glob in the center of the medallion and reinstall. if any squeezes out at this time, just wipe the excess off [it will not damage your paint] let these set up after tightening, and you will have no looseness or have to worry about losing the medallions.if you ever need to take them off again, you will still be able to save them unlike using epoxy which has a stronger bond, and you can clean it off with a razor knife. Hope this helps, John
In rust we trust!