318 Oil Filter

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

318 Oil Filter

Post by Faulkner »

I'm thinking of changing Faulkner's oil on Friday -- is AutoZone likely to have it, or am I going to have to go to NAPA? Anyone have a NAPA part number?

adTHANKSvance,
Dan
Fins59

318 Oil Filter

Post by Fins59 »

Dan - I posted a reply a couple times but apparently had password problems (forgot it?). I think its straightened out now. Anyway, Autozone in my area does not have a oil filter for my 59. NAPA does - part no. NAPA Gold 1076. Changing that filter is a hassle (for me anyway) so a couple years ago I installed the FRAM K21 kit, about $12 from Checker/Advance Auto Parts. After a short time (week or two) it started leaking around the base of the adapter. I retightened, tried a rtv sealant, nothing worked, so I put the old cannister type back on. HAS ANYBODY tried the K21 or other type of adapter with sucess? John Z
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

John -- thanks for the reply.

It wasn't until your post, and a check of the parts manual -- that I realized the '59 318 still used a canister type. The filter on the car when I got it was the sealed replacement unit (what to call it?), and that's what replaced it the first time. I no longer have the canister.

I was able to get the filter from NAPA over the weekend -- I've had so many leaks of various fluids, I assumed that the oil leak in my pan was a continuing problem (I did have the rear main replaced, and the pan replaced; I was going to retorque the pan bolts), but now you've got me thinking. Maybe this is a new leak, from the filter! I won't have time to investigate until the weekend... (*sigh*).

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out and get back.

Dan