little by little

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: little by little

Post by Dick Koch »

OK, tomorrow I will get some prices for you guys.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
vic barone

Post by vic barone »

Thanks Again Dick

I think a full set would ensure that I dont mess things up. This would be greatly appreciated

Matthew

You were lucky to find another frame - mine came in pieces and I have had to have the header bow fully rebuilt.

I too have been thinking about what colour to do the frame. I always understood it to be white, but given the inner side of the canvas roof liner is black, black would also suit.

At this stage I think I will go ivory white as that was the original colour on my frame when i got the car.

For those who might be feeling the winter chill over in the US we are going to have a week of over 106 deg Fahrenheit !!! Total fire bans - Not going in the shed until late evening!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Vic - I painted my top frame white also. I don't know if you can get it "down under" but I used Rust-o-leum rattle can appliance white Epoxy.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

I painted my convertible top frame white also, I think it was a off white, kinda of a milky vanilla color originally...

Vic, Here is a link to a re-pop convertible Top frame shoulder bolt on E bay. This may not be one you are looking for but here it is anyhow.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-1959-Mopar ... 29&vxp=mtr

I have in the basement a jar with some convertible top frame bolts that I had picked up during my restoration that I did not use. I will try to locate them and take a picture of what I have and if you need any of them let me know and I will send them. Give me a day or two to see what box I put them in.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK, Vic and John - Just got back from the machinist shop. Two older Norwegean old school brothers. There are 10 shoulder bolts per side (20 per set). This does not include the long and short clevis pins that you can get locally.
Thier normal rate is $60.00 per hour which I think is a pretty good rate. They will charge by the hour but not to exceed $650.00 per set of twenty or $32.50 ea. Plus shipping of course. Let me know ASAP so I can get them started. I've included pictures of what you will get.
Dick.
100_2574.JPG
100_2575.JPG
big m

Post by big m »

That sounds fair, Dick. Go ahead and count me in for a complete set.

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK John - Will do.
Dick.
vic barone

Post by vic barone »

Dick

Please count me in also. Are you able to assist in having them shipped to Australia?

Also in terms of payment, would I pay them directly or via you? I have generally used Paypal with Roger and John before so if this helps I can do the same

Thanks again for your assistance

Cheers

Vic
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK Vic. - Once I have them in hand I will get a shipping charge for you, then you can pay me, I have a paypal account but have never used it to receive money so I will have to find out how to do it. Maybe John F. or John Q. can enlighten me. I know the machinest will be happy because he has to change the setup for each different bolt, now he can make 4 at a time before changing the setup. Send me your mailing address and email address. My email is koch1068@bellsouth.net.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, I will call you to explain, After receiving the funds you can either leave them in the account to buy other things or get it transferred to your checking account. Real easy to do.

Guys...Don't forget to back out the small set screw on the top frames arms so as not to strip the threading when you re-install...It is probably already backed out but just in case...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Please back out the set screws at each shoulder bolt. Those are not oil holes as this dummy thought and that's why I stripped the threads off the bolts and had to have new ones made.
Dick.
big m

Post by big m »

A big thanks to Dick for doing this for the other members here. The more sets the machinist makes at a time, should bring costs down somewhat.

---John
In rust we trust!
vic barone

Post by vic barone »

Agree John

It sad to think there are not more like Dick and the guys on this forum
You guys are a blessing in disguise
To think when I first started restoring my car I used to post a letter and then wait for weeks for a reply! Thank god for technology

With regards to the set screws mentioned in the earlier thread, I assume that these get tightened once the top is fully aligned?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yes, you could tighten them down with the set screw to keep them from backing out during an road vibration. I did not on mine and they seem to hold fine. I did check them after the first year of use and none needing snugging down so I left the set screws not tighten down on the bolts.

The factory did it for longevity of long term use use but with our cars seeing a lot of road use and vibration. I don't think that would be an issue with the reduced driving time our converts see today but it is up to you to set the set screw or not.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

vic barone

Post by vic barone »

Thanks John Q

Agree the amount of road use will be limited - but i will do my best to drive it as often as I can.

thanks for the tips

Vic