Dick Koch's convertible

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Steve Storey

Re: Dick's convertible project

Post by Steve Storey »

Wow-what a great find!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Dick Koch's convertible

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Dick, I am happy for you on snagging this one! It does look in great shape with the top and all the trim to boot, Hopefully it has the interior Window quarter panels. I do see one of them (drivers side) but maybe it is in the trunk or out of view on the floor of the car.

I do like the color of it...Will you keep it the same? Or to early to ask?

I do hearby claim the first Dibs on this car should Dick sell this car 20 years from now!!! :P Looks like when I do come down for a visit we can ride in a convert like we talked about last year!!!

Whatever I can do to offer any convert assistance I will! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Opps I responded to the other identical thread posting instead of this one.

What long walk? I was working all day to day and just got home! The car looks super! looks like most of the hard to find convertible parts are there Trim wize, Hopefully the passenger side interior quarter window steel panel is in the trunk.

Yes, lets keep it the rarer production Belvedere trim instead of the Gaudy SF trim that we see everyday! :lol:

Let me know what the VIN is to see if it is later or earlier then my M253 114148

Look forward to assisting you in anyway I can!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

"..passenger side interior quarter window steel panel"....?
Maybe I am replying too soon, but I don't understand what you are talking about. Are you talking about the access cover (white, visible in one photo) which covers the quarter window mechanism, and glass while lowered :?
I do not see a drivers side quarter window...let's hope that's somewhere in the car.
It appears all the dash wiring has been removed...good excuse to order a brand new (and safe) one!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger, this is the interior piece of stamped metal that is wrapped in fabric and has the intergral arm rest platform built into it. This interior panel gives space to the convertible top array to raise and lower without hitting the seat or the passengers.

This is the part that has the interior Courtesy lights installed in them if it is a SF Convertible. (though mine will have them too!) Not the widow regulator flat access panel that is flush with the interior structure of the quarter window interior structure.

You can see the top of the drivers side piece in the one side view picture of Dick's new ride but it is not shown in place on the far passenger side picture of Dick's Belvy Convert.

I will show a picture of a one (not from my car) But from Tom Fox's Convertible.

John Q.
037.JPG
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Oh-h-h! Got it!
You have excellent vision, John! I had briefly thought that you were speaking about the lift cylinder housings/rear arm rests, and looking at that picture, I assumed that the top edge of the housing was something else. So yes, one is in place, and where is the other?
Let's hope the other one is there, as those are uber-rare. He may have to have one fabricated...
Dick is gonna have his hands full with all of us backseat drivers! Should he restore the car with a correct 1959 engine block, correct 4 bbl, etc etc? Or does he do as I did, and make changes as needed, as long as they are easily reversible to a future perfectionist..
So, who's counting...how many convertibles do we know of?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I questioned the statement that the front valence was the same on all models of 59 Plymouths. I don't think so! Even tho I can only find one part # in the parts book I believe there are two different valences. I looked at the showcase and noticed that two door and four door hardtops all had the same valence and Fury, Belvedere and Savoy Sedans, 2 dr and 4 dr. looked to be different. I took side by side pictures of the one off my Sport Fury and one off my 4 dr. Belvedere Sedan parts car. Quite a difference. I wonder if the splash pan is also different the one I had was so rusted it got thrown out.
Dick.
100_2436.jpg
100_2437.jpg
100_2438.jpg
100_2439.jpg
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

My Belvedere convert has the type that is in the gray primer style in the picture Dick is showing. And it was the one that was on my car when I picked up the car up in Montana. My Valance still had a bunch of undercoating still coating a lot of underneath surface area's that included the fasteners and the upper Gravel guard panel/ And they were all covered with the original undercoating. So I would have to say, that on my Car, I had the more commonly known Valance when it left the factory in Evansville.

Never saw the one on the right before. But I don't have that may years in the 59 plymouth years to say there was something different to the lower valance styles on different trim levels or plant production. I could see where the low cost Savoy's may have cut back on costs and offered a lower cost valance,especially on Taxi or Fleet uses. But that is just guestimating on it.

My parts book also only list one part number for this lower valance part. I will have to study some old 59 pictures to pick out something different on the Savoy or other Belvy's valance variations. :?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The only valances I've ever seen ressemble the primered one in the pix.
I have never owned or stripped a Savoy business sedan, or whatever the lowest version was.
Help us out here, Dick. Which Showcase cars seem to have the smaller valance?
(I looked at Fury and they all look like they wear the big valance)
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Dick congratulations!!!

You made a good deal on this car, looks pretty solid and complete. And with the shelves in your garage full of parts you do have almost everything to complete this car. And in case you need something we are there to help out.

I am a bit jealous now as you have more 59's than we own, so it is time for me to start looking for that Suburban :lol:

But no kidding, what did you do to be allowed to buy another car? When we were visiting in November your wife was very clear: another car in and are go out

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

If you want to make sure the car gets in Florida make sure the truck driver takes it through Arizona and New Mexico! If he will go east on I70 he will not get any further than Denver :lol:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks Ron, I'm really excited, supposed to ship monday, yea, he might make it past the bone yards in arizona unless he has a buddy looking for 59 Ply parts. You are right about Denver, I can picture John Q. staked out next to the highway waiting to ambush the truck. Check www.cars-on-line.com there is a very nice suburban there at a (I think) reasonable price.
Dick.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

No more cars for us, the garage is full and there is no room for extending it :cry: But we are more than happy with our current fleet, we have the largest 59 Plymouth collection East of the Atlantic as far as we know :D
big m

Post by big m »

There was only one front valance issued by Mopar in '59, and it was the one shown in grey primer. Replacement were sold in the sixties and early seventies at Western Auto, JC Whitney, and such. Some of these were fiberglass, others stamped steel. These were more plentiful in the northern Midwest and New England, where high road salt usage caused the originals to corrode prematurely. Neither were accurate duplicates of the originals.

---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I thought that wierd valance come of my 4dr. Belvedere parts car but quess not. Pictures answer the question, the only way that valance could work is with a different splash pan.
Dick.
100_2443.jpg
100_2444.jpg
100_2445.jpg