You Oughta Be in Pictures ('59 Plymouths in the movies)

Your banter here!
Faulkner

You Oughta Be in Pictures ('59 Plymouths in the movies)

Post by Faulkner »

Folks,

Something Matt Menges said about seeing a taxi in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" prompts me to say -- can folks suggest movies in which '59 Plymouths are clearly identifyable? (I don't know if Matt was saying it was a '59, or just a car with big fins.) It might be cool for me to rent the movies and digitize the segment... Not that I lack for things to do!!! But it might be fun to put them in "Ephemera".

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I know there is a movie with a red one. It was in the intro when a couple guys in a car drove on a parking lot and there it was parked. I don't know whats the title of the movie. It is too long ago. We just bought our SF when i saw that. That's why i know it was a 59 P
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Tom Fox confirms about "It's a Mad,...World":

> Hi Dan, There are two taxis in the movie, both 59 Plymouths Tom

Hey! This is post #99! Who's the lucky person to post #100?

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Faulkner wrote: Hey! This is post #99! Who's the lucky person to post #100?
It was me!! This forum is the best! Maybe 1 is better but that is just for me. This forum is in my top 2! Don't know which one is on 1.
If i find something from a movie i'll let you know ASAP!
rogerh

Mad Mad Mad World

Post by rogerh »

The Movie "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" is a cornucopia of late fifties Mopars and a hilarious movie to boot! Dont miss the opening chase scene!...a 59 Dodge convertible goes over the cliff to its doom (at least that's the way I remember it)
I definitely remember the pair of 4 door Belvedere taxis zooming all over then-still rural California. Be prepared though...they treat them like bumper cars!
moparsteve

59 taxis

Post by moparsteve »

roger is right about a whole mess of mopars in this movie, including
the 62 dodge conv (i'm comin' to help you, mama!!!)
the late 40's ply. conv phil silvers drove in the lake!
one thing about 59 sedans- you can pack em full! musta been 15 people in each cab!
rogerh

madmadmadworld

Post by rogerh »

"Im comin', Mama" ...still brings a smile to my face
moparsteve

sorry!! it's not a 59 dodge conv!!!

Post by moparsteve »

remember? it was jimmy durante! (goodnight, mrs.calabash, wherever you are!) to this day, wew'll never know who she was-he took it with him to his grave.

no, jimmy went off the cliff in a 57' ford conv. look closely for the taillights. then he said, it's buried under the big w!!! (a hundred grand,
i think it was ). and the chase was on!
thjey got locked in the hardware store, took off in the cabs, and in the
end spencer tracy took off with the cash in his 62' dodge.

steve
Faulkner

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Post by Faulkner »

I rented the tape last night. Or, tapes I should say... Sheesh! Is this sucker long!! Well, I guess I'll watch it, pick out some good segments with '59's and capture them to video. Does anyone have a favorite scene they want to see?

Coming soon, to a webcast near you!!
:P
Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Hi Dan, when i put our new front speaker in i watched tv. There was an old movie on tv. I saw an 57 Plymouth and a 59 Pontiac. I thought that maybe there was a 59 Plymouth in it. Just before i wanted to go i spotted a 59 Suburban on the tv!!! The movie is called: The Disorderly Orderly. It's a movie from 1964. Tons of classics in it!!
hemiman

unknown movie

Post by hemiman »

I remember seeing a crime movie with Robert Duval as a cop, and Robert DeNero as his priest brother, In several scenes Duval is driving a black 59 Sport Fury, more than just a passing shot, some great footage, with an interior shot if I recall.
hemiman

True Confessions

Post by hemiman »

My son showed me how to use this new fangled computer to find things, thus the name of the above mentioned movie is True Confessions, and it was out in 1981. I also learned to spell Duvall, and DeNiro. Besides the car the movie is pretty good in itself.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks! I gotta rent it....

Dan
JSSuper

Post by JSSuper »

Matthew Keij wrote:I know there is a movie with a red one. It was in the intro when a couple guys in a car drove on a parking lot and there it was parked. I don't know whats the title of the movie. It is too long ago. We just bought our SF when i saw that. That's why i know it was a 59 P
The movie you are thinking of is Dazed and Confuzed. Opening scene is Pickford and his G/F cruising around the parking lot in his 1970 GTO Judge RAIII. You get a nice view of a black '67 Camaro turning into the isle, there is also a 68+ stingray, but there are two Plymouths in plain view. A bright red 1959 Plymouth Belvedere 4-dr sedan you see from the back and a white 1958 Fury 2dr hdtp you see from the Front. They are both parked side by side too. How often does that happen anymore!?

There are lots of cool old muscle in this movie. Including a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5 390, the Judge mentioned above, a 70's primer grey Plymouth Duster. a '1974 SD-455 Trans Am (looks like my other car!) You also see a few vettes and a black 1970 Plymouth Superbird. I'd almost recommend watching the movie on mute just for the cars. Exept for when Wooderson (Matthew McConaughey) is yacking about his 454 Chevelle to some buddies... thats a pretty cool part.

Anyhow its like a 70's version of Amercan Graffiti. so its pretty cool. That reminds me, there are a couple more movies with 1959 Plymouths in them. One was American Graffiti. Toad is driving the 58 Chivy and while getting set for a race with a kid in a Ford he backs into a '59 White Savoy (4dr I think). Also at the end of Operation Petticoat there are a couple of black ones. Cary Grant's black 4dr Belvedere and his wife drives a black sport wagon I think.... its been a while since I've seen it, but his wife is the clutsy girl with the, well you'll have to see the movie, but she accidentally bumps the back of his car into the bus in front, they get hooked together and the bus takes off toward the front gate with his car in-tow... its pretty funny.
So there is my 3 contributions:
Dazed and Confuzed
American Graffiti
Operation Petticoat

I know of one more movie, but I can't think of it right now...I think it was one of the Doris Day movies.... I'll get back to you on that one.
Cody C.
The prowd owner of a 1959 Iceberg White Sport Fury 318 TqFlt.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Thanks for clearing up that movie. Dan, looks like you're busy for a couple of days ;)