Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

vic barone wrote:May have to come up with my own invention to seal the floor given I waited 2 years to receive my latest parcel
Vic, I haven't gotten around to placing my add-on order yet, but my experience with Gary has been pretty quick turnaround. Perhaps he's averse to sending overseas? I dunno - but, I'd be happy to order one for you as well. You can square up with me when I ship it to you. Let me know...

In other news, I didn't take any pics today, but I spent a few hours under Faulkner, about as much as I could take in this heat. The only reason I keep at it, is because it is so rewarding to feel that smooth sheet metal after scraping and brushing. But Gawd, the crap that comes raining down! You really have to want to do this...

I'll be back at it tomorrow, and will take some pix.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Think of it this way. Every hour you spend doing it yourself you are not putting $40.00 to $60.00 in someone else's pocket. Self satisfaction alone makes it worth doing.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

As a wise man once said, you just have to put your time in, a little here, a little there, and eventually you will get done. I dragged my sorry butt under the car again today, and while I still have some finishing up to do above the rear axles, I attacked the underside of the floorboards. The tunnel in this shot, it what pretty much everything looked like under there before I started:

IMG_2091.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
The floorboards are in great shape, after brushing - these will come up nicely.
IMG_2094.JPG
IMG_2095.JPG
IMG_2097.JPG
All around the tail stock of the transmission, and the emergency brake drum...
Dick Koch wrote:Self satisfaction alone makes it worth doing.
Yeah. Now, we just have to convince this guy.

IMG_2099.JPG
vic barone

Post by vic barone »

Thanks for the offer

I will see what i can do at this end first.

And oh the memories of scrapping off old that tar

I ended up doing twice as i did it on my hard top floor initially and then once i bought the CVT, had to do it all over again!!
big m

Post by big m »

Dan, looks like you spent a week in the woods in that pic!

I hate scraping old undercoating off, if it's brittle not so bad, though. Just finished cleaning the undercoat from the floors of the '59 Desoto convert I'm working on, there were pop-riveted repair sections slathered with gooey roofing tar to conceal them. Nasty!

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Too hot in the garage these dog days of summer, so I played around in the basement with the exhaust shipment that just came from Waldron's. Oh, that it would be this easy to install on Faulkner...

IMG_2134.JPG

I need two more clamps (I got two, from Ed Eckerson), and four hangers - two for the rear of the muffler, and two for the rear end of the tailpipe.

The clamps are easy to come by, the hangers not so. Any one have a supplier they can recommend? Perhaps I'll go back to Waldron's for these, if they have them.

I only ordered the lead pipe for the passenger side manifold, because Ed had tossed in the driver's side. But it's 1 7/8" OD, and would need a sleeve to fit the 2" ID pipe to the muffler... Not sure it's the right shape or length, perhaps I'll order the driver's side from Waldron's too.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Just some ideas about hangers. Dick's Convertible Project page 23. Dick's 59 Red & White Sport Fury Restoration page 15.
Dick.,
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote:Just some ideas about hangers. Dick's Convertible Project page 23. Dick's 59 Red & White Sport Fury Restoration page 15.
Dick.,
Ah, and here we are! First, from the convertible - towards the end of the tailpipe:

100_0249.JPG

This looks a lot like how they mounted the exhaust in Faulker, just rear of the muffler - except, no rubber shock mount :evil: Where did you get those?

I like these from the Red and White Sport Fury, that you said you got from NAPA:

100_0260.JPG
100_0261.JPG

I think I would use these at the end of the tailpipe, as well as at the rear of the muffler. Part number, please!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Pull up http://www.napaonline.com, search Exhaust Hangers (88 of um). look at EXH36316 and EXH35103.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

EXH35103 - it's what I'm tawkin' about!

Thanks, Dick.
hanger.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Because I have a trailer receiver the tail pipes had to be routed on the outside of the recever so l had to use a local muffler shop, they supplied the hangers. I think NAPA might have them, look thru all the hangers.
Dick
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

A little report on Koch's Auto Body Repair Shop. Dan sent me a mess but I'm gettin there. The valance and splash pan took a beating at some time and rather than take them off the car whoever worked on it did not try to remove any dents they just bondoed the dents right in place. Well, all the bondo is gone and dents are out as good as they are going to get, all it will take is a skim coat of bondo to make look nice. This is what I call Valance heaven. One of them I got on ebay for $10.00 while the rest of you were sleeping. The other one I'm going to put on ebay with a reserve of $1,000.00. :lol: See the pitchuhs.
Dick.
20160725_080247.jpg
20160725_080347.jpg
20160725_112459.jpg
20160822_085538.jpg
20160822_085753_South Kay Street.jpg
20160822_113701_North Kay Street.jpg
20160822_113711_North Kay Street.jpg
20160822_121143.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Amazing, Dick Koch! Amazing...

Well, one of us has to be working on my car :o :shock: :roll: But we slept with the windows open last night for the first time in a good month, I imagine I'll be out under Faulkner this weekend.

Keep up the good work! :lol:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

My brother's getting hitched today (4th time! I'll never catch up to him now), and I'm his best man - so crawling under Faulkner will have to wait until tomorrow.

Meanwhile, in the illusion of progress, I keep buyin' stuff. Here's a sweet pair of fake antennas I bought for $45 on eBay, thanks to eagle-eyed Dr. FiftyNine. Only one screw holds them down, I'll drill it in accordance with the Plymouth template and then when Vans comes through with my repop antennas, sell these to someone.
IMG_2158.JPG
IMG_2159.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It was a bit cooler in the garage today... :roll:

IMG_2172.JPG
IMG_2168.JPG
I never did get under Faulkner. but, I redeemed the other exhaust bracket from the grips of a Midas hack job
IMG_2170.JPG
And I decided to tackle the leaking wheel cylinder. Except, it's not the wheel cylinder at all! To go along with the weeping pumpkin plug, I've got a bad seal. It gunked up the works pretty good. the drum itself is in great shape, though
IMG_2171.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG
This is the tool I need to pull it, correct? It's been a while.

I've got to place a NAPA order anyway for the exhaust clamps and hangers, I'll place an order for a seal too.