361 - Project

And, how not to! Show a fellow member how you did it, here
sportfury1959

Re: 361 - Project

Post by sportfury1959 »

Sorry Folks no pictures today – but an update:

Last Saturday I’ve tried to start the 361 the very first time. I checked the oil and water then I cranked the engine a couple times to get the oil pressure up. When finally the control light in the dashboard turned off, I placed a 5 litre canister under the gas pump and filled the double carburettors. Then I hocked the ignition wire to the coil. The 361 started right away and ran immediately very smooth. The clattering from the still empty lifters disappeared after a short while as they filled up with the fresh oil. So far I’m very satisfied. Now, I have to adjust the idle and mixture. This seems to be the bigger problem for now. During the first break inn the engine ran about 2-3 minutes at 1200 rpm’s. Then as choke throttle opened the engine suddenly died. I still couldn’t figure out why, but I’m quite sure that the rear carburettor is the cause. To continue the break inn I held the choke throttle closed by hand. Suddenly after a total of 15 minutes the engine died and did not start anymore. I took me quite some time to figure out why! The 5 litre canister was dry like a desert. (I simply didn’t expect that after only 15 minutes). I have to get some gas to continue now.

I made a little movie and Dan will place it soon here.

Stefan

Oh yeah, about the Smitty’s: Good at idling, everything over 1200 rpm’s – I think the word “brutal” is pretty close. Nice when cruising, but not recommendable for a long trip.
Ed, I should have insisted on a drive around the block with you, when I had the chance!!!
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello fellows,

Just want to keep you posted about the progress. I promised to post a little movie but had some setbacks during the last days. One was that the engine had severe heat problems. For at least that’s what I thought. The new aluminium Water pump has the smaller sending unit and this one doesn’t match with the gauge. So I have to drill the hole up and put a new thread in it.

Another question that I have is the following. As the engine came it had a single point distributor in it (IBP 4005 E) instead of the original double point (IBS 4006 S) I need a Pertronix kit for the single point distributor. Does anybody know the item #? I found # 1382, but it says it’s for double point distributors. Does this 1382 also fit on the single point distributor, or does Pertronix offer another kit for?

Thanks
Stefan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Soesnt Pertonix site have this information? I had Pertronix put on my 1961 Chrysler 361/4V w/ single point distributor...seems to work fine.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Thanks Roger,
I also think that a single point should work. I still have some doubt´s, but I think if you take a douple point distributor and put a Pertronix kit in it then you have also a single ignition. Isn´t it so? Dick should know that!

Stefan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Stefan - I used kit #1382 in my AUTOLITE dual point Dist. on my 361CI. I used kit #1381A in my Chrysler Dist. on my 318 & 383 CI engines (changed because of to much shaft play). The on line Pertronix catalog is somewhat confusing, it calls for 1382 for Autolite or Prestolite and 1381A for Chrysler dist. If it were me and I had the 1382 on hand I would try and see if the pins and holes lineup, if so you are good to go, otherwise use the 1381A kit. You might be able to find a 60 to 72 CHRYSLER distributor and compare the two. Hope this helps.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Thanks Dick,

that definitely helps. I have bought the 1381A kit for my 318 but never installed it because then appeared the oportunity with the 361. The 1381A kit does not fit on BB distributor - I´ve tried that. But I´ll buy the 1382 and see if it fits on my single point dizzy. If yes - ok, if not then I´ll have to find a double point dizzy.

Stefan