Tune Up Time

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Fins59

Tune Up Time

Post by Fins59 »

The 'ol girl has been running kinda rough the past few weeks (months, time flies) so last week I replaced points and plugs. Noticed the points didn't seem to be opening properly. When replacing plugs, one plug wire just about fell off in my hand, while it was a taks getting the others off of plug. So maybe that one plug wire made it run rough. Engine runs smooth now, though.
Also had a vibration all summer that was getting worse. At first I thought it was tires, but upon examination and rotating, vibration was still there. Checked the four trany bolts holding trany to engine. Lo and behold, one was GONE, one was finger loose and the other two were tight. So I fixed that problem and vibration is GONE, except for a slight, slight, vibration, seems like it's coming from tires. I noticed a wheel weight off one of the rims, so hopefully that's it.
I had the same trany loose bolt problem back in 2002, so maybe every or every other oil change I will check them. Going to make a note of what particular wrenches/sockets fit up there because there's a lot of stuff in the way.
Fins59

Re: Tune Up Time

Post by Fins59 »

Last year or year before, I replaced the distributor. Car Quest didn't have one listed for a '59 but did for a '60/'61. I knew this fit because my Fury has a 60/61 dist in it.
So I put the 60/61 dist in the SF and forgot I did when ordering points this time. So I ordered points for a '59 and of course they did not fit. Then I remembered it was a '60/'61 dist I had installed so returned points to Autozone. They had 60/61 points in stock and were $5 cheaper than the '59 points.
So if anybody needs to replace their dist and parts store says they don't have '59, try and get a '60/'61. They do fit. But write it down and attach note to your service manual. That's what I did....now.
A future owner (way way in the future I hope) would probably appreciate it too.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Of course, if you really want to tune up, you'll go the Petronix route. Here's some old email advice from Lou Cortese from the Forward Look Network.
Lou Cortese wrote:The Pertronix kit doesn't fit an Autolite distributor,the one with the with the oil cup on the side.I used a remanufactured unit from a NAPA store for 1960-1972 318. I know the LA thing sounds weird but they interchange. Use Pertronix 1381A to convert these distributors. Don't forget,the Autolite cap and rotor are different so you'll have to get them too when you change distributors. I used an MSD "Blaster" coil but Pertronix also sells coils and perhaps they can point you in the right direction regarding coils.
Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Fins59

Post by Fins59 »

Thanks for info Dan. Petronix is definitely on my list. This winter for sure.