1959 Plymouth Sport Fury hardtop

Hey, I've got this part. Interested in buying it?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury hardtop

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Roger, I have no problem with the underside of the trunk and inner trunk area's it was suppose to be grey. It is the proper 2nd color for those areas My convertible was grey in the same visible trunk area's too. The parts I am talking about is the underneath part of the car,main cabin floor and under trunk floor was this odd color. Mine was then undercoated. The grey is an applied non priority color meant for those areas just to seal bare metal.

The floor cut out of the 59 SF (that now lives in my car) had this same color also underneath the undercoating. Not grey or the white body color of the donor car.

The color I am seeing and have seen is for area's that would have been bare metal and was applied to those area's that are not seen only to seal bare metal. Chipping away my undercoat area under my car when I was welding revealed this same color of miced paint that we are talking about.

What plant was the donor HT of your vert came from? Maybe it was plant specific. Don't know. I will dig up the Forward Look thread and post it on the tech side so we don't carry on in Tim's thread of his SF.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

There's no doubt your convertible is an unmolested original, as was mine (except for one repaint). My project's donor hardtop was probably original too, but I kinda forget now. I dont have the car anymore so I can't check its data plate.
I support your observation that the 'primer coat' had that odd lavender hue.
Are you going to paint two different colors under your car, then undercoat it?
tomf

Post by tomf »

John,

Roger's donor hardtop was a LA built car, M294101172.

The underside of the cars I have and had have been gray. Most were a different color of gray than the inside of trunk and under hood. I have painted my cars the same gray underside, under hood and inside the trunk.

Tom
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

So if I were to paint it a gray similar to what the underside of the trunk lid, that would be right. I don't have to be exact, but I do make attempts to have it as correct as possible. I will take another look under my car. This car was from Hollywood, CA originally, and there is no undercoating what so ever, and it has never been repaired either from what I can tell. What I have seen is that any paint is mostly worn away, and has just a very fine surface rust. I will crawl around under there to see if I can see more. No one answered me on my correct jack, but one I have is hollow like a lot of different cars, and the other is like a solid piece shaped like a T. This car stops straight, unlike a lot of other peoples cars, at least thats what I remember some other people saying that changed their cars to disc brakes. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Tim Baker
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

I just looked under my 59 convertible, and found that actually, there is quite a bit of gray paint underneath on the bottom of the quarters, trunk and floor pans. It also looks like some very light white overspray as well. The frame does have some black paint on it, some peeling off and the rear leaf springs are alI fine surface rust. I am guessing the leaf springs are supposed to be black. This car has never really been messed with or restored. I even saw a stamp up on the inside of the quarter in the trunk area for Bethlehem Steel.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

When I had my car, I asked Tom Fox what he thought the correct jack should be. His reply was it should be the "hollow" jack, with a base which is symmetrical...that is, the socket is right in the middle of the pyramid.
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Thanks for the information.

Tim
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

I was just wanting to get some other input from people on here as far as my 59 Sport Fury hardtop. The car does look nice, but reality of how things were repaired bodywise, the floors, trunk, rockers, fenders, quarters, and maybe the wheel wells would have to be redone to make it right because of the poor job that was done. The rear springs need replaced, brakes checked, heater core probably leaks because the lines are not hooked up to them at the firewall. The engine could need anything from a cam, valves, or a complete rebuild, which is probably what should be done if someone was to do it right. All of the trim is there, and most of it is pretty nice, but any that have minor dings are repairable. The interior is nice, and the bumper chrome and tail light housing are nice too. What do you think this is worth in present condition ? I don't feel like repairing anything myself because its money I won't get out of it anyway. Seems to me to be too nice to part out, even though it needs lots of work. I appreciate any input, and am just wanting to give an accurate representation of the condition. I have had several interested parties, and am just wanting to be realistic for selling it.

Thank You
Tim Baker