freeze plugs

Got a question? This is the place to ask
matty

freeze plugs

Post by matty »

Hello all, i decided that i would replace the freeze plugs on my 318 poly.
Now i got some freeze plugs but they are for the la motor, what i want to know is who thinks they will be ok?
As i am sure some of you are aware the poly plugs have no pressed flange, i fitted them they are the correct size but i am not too confident with the la plugs i looked on ebay cant find the correct ones?
Anyway, before all this when the car was running 5 years ago it would overheat i thought maybe the rad core was bad but after taking the plugs out i see the problem.
This motor was full of rusty crap!
It was so bad that when the plugs were removed the holes for them were filled up with caked in rust!
RICKYMOPAR

Re: freeze plugs

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Your core plugs for the Late A series engines are cup plugs. if your A engine has cup type plugs your plug set should work for about 90 percent of your needs.Wash/Flush out all the rusty debris and allow time to dry before installing the new plugs. Treat the sides of your replacement plugs with a gasket maker sealer. Loc-tite Permatex or other, this is a great leak deterrent. This also is true with convex plugs. plugs are standard measurements, so if you have a hole with out a matching plug measure the opening straight across the center and run down to your local auto parts and pick one up, if they have a problem finding your plug they should be avoided at all cost for future purchases. Lisle makes a really neat core plug installation tool for working on the engine in the chassis.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Matty - I just replaced the freeze plugs in my "A" block. They were not the cupped type but were more of a saucer shape. I got the freeze plugs from my local NAPA store. Clean your engine interior then clean the freeze plug hole real good and apply permatex sealer to hole, insert plug and strike the middle with a large punch, I used a 3/8" ratched entension, until you have a dent in the middle, this expands the plug in the hole for a tight fit. I have no leaks as a result of this procedure. Rickymopar may be right but I'm not aware that there was an early or late "A" block engine. If you go to my thread DICK'S 59 RED AND WHITE SPORT FURY RESTORATION in the forum section "SHOW YOUR RIDE" there are pictures. Page 6. I don't know if you have removed the old plugs yet but that will tell you the type you need.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
matty

Post by matty »

Yes, mine are the saucer type ones but i have fitted la motor ones and they stick out a little bit so not real happy i will have a look at the site you mentioned.
matty

Post by matty »

HANG ON WHATS A NAPA STORE?
I am english i dont undertand that?
Would someone be able to get me the correct plugs and send them to the uk plz?
Can paypal the cash over to the US?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Matty, I will pick them up for you. Do you need a complete set for the Block? Mopar Ricky did not know you are from England since your Profile did not list it and Mopar Ricky is new to the forum for about a year and a half.

Any thing else you need as long as I will be sending a package over to you?
PM me your address once your wish list is complete.

John Q,
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
matty

Post by matty »

Not sure if pm worked so here it is again,
Could you get me a shop manual covering everything as the cars in a million bits!
The freeze plugs, and 2 motor mounts please.
Heres the shipping address,
Mr Matthew Stocks,
48 York Road,
Driffield,
East Yorkshire, Unite Kingdom,
Yo25 5ax,
Thankyou very much :D
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Matty, got your PM and what you posted here too. I will look to see if our local auto parts stores carry the 318 Poly motor mounts. If not, I will have to find them on ebay for you. On my Big Block in my 59 they are round barrell shaped rubber isolaters, would this be the same for your Small block A poly engine?

do you need the motor mount metal brackets that hold the isolater to the engine?

On the manuals, Do you have the 1957-58 Yellow Factory Service Manual? And do you have the 1959 red Supplement that is needed with the Yellow manual?

Also, nice to have is the complete Dealer ship Parts book that list all the part numbers for our cars...Do you have this one?

The above manuals are always on sale on ebay so they are not hard to come by.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Matty; Sorry I did not know that you were on the other side of the Atlantic pond. NAPA is NO AUTO PARTS AVAILABLE. Anyway Mowog engines used the convex core plug. the term freeze plug is a problem it number 1 the term is not correct. if the core plug popped out during freezing you will also have a cracked block. being I have repaired many. Core plug is the correct terminology. The core holes held the casting sand molds in position during the casting process. The holes were finish machined so the steel core plugs could be installed to seal off the cooling passages that were once sand to keep the void open to later be filled with coolant. We learned this process from your side of the pond.
matty

Post by matty »

Ok, if you can get the mounts cheaper that would bo ok i know they are 80 dollars on ebay and as for the manuals i have neither one!
I dont need the motor brackets and yes the mounts are cylinder shaped.
If you cant find them cheaper dont worry i will get em of ebay :)
But thanks for the interest tho.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Matty - NAPA is an automotive parts supply company, probable one of the oldest parts companies in the States. We have several newcomer to the parts supply business. Advance Auto Parts, Pepboys Auto Parts, O'Rielly Auto Parts, Car Quest Auto Parts etc. etc. etc. My first choice is Alway NAPA because if they don't have it in stock they usually have it for you the next day. You can find them online at www.napaonline.com.
Good luck with bringing your car back to life.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
matty

Post by matty »

I found some plugs now!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Do you still want me to gather up manuals and motor mount isolaters from the Internet off of.Ebay?
John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

matty

Post by matty »

Well not really because its not going to be any cheaper!
I cant see why the mounts are so expencive for these motors.
If i need anything that i cant get i may need some help but for now i am ok but thaks for being there for me.
Parts for these are a bit scarce arnt they?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Matty, no problem. I was just thinking that we could get all the items bought and have one singular shipment to to you in the UK, possibly saving on the overall cost of the freight across the pond.

Yes, parts are hard to find but even harder for you in the UK and the European Continent faithful. There is still lots of these parts in small salvage yards, local/regional swap meets that never hit Ebay or Craigs list.

So if you have a overall wish list you can post of what you would like or would like to improve on, then we know what to look for you.

We are all willing to assist each other in our needs for the 59. That's what makes this Forum neet to be a part of.
:)

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)