Dick Koch's convertible

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
rogerh

Re: Dick's convertible project

Post by rogerh »

Split bench seats are what you want, then. Split so you can get into the back seat.
See pics of Tom's Belv cvt if you're not sure.
Split benches will be more affordable and should be easier to find. They were standard in 2DR sedans, 2DR wagons, 2 DR HT Savoys, maybe 2HT Belvederes too, altho many Belv buyers chose the swivel option.
Seventeen years ago, my Belv cvt arrived at my house on a flatbed, wearing split bench seats. I threw them out. (sorry!)
Ron and matthew seem to have their computers set for 59 parts Search, so put them to work finding you a set near you!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Roger, don't forget the Fury's! Swivel seats were only standard on Sport Fury's.

The seat that we have cane out of the Fury. Shipping it will probably be expensive.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Thanks for the correction, Matthew!
That Alabama Plymouth on Craigslist started at $3500, now down to 1500.
Dick will find split bench, eventually. Not a high priority just yet. :)
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Here I am! A busy work week for me now I am flying to Minneapolis on Sunday till Tuesday night, so a short weekend for me. Bad for 59 work since I am foing to do the disc brake conversion this weekend (saturday) after I get upper control arm bushings pressed in the I can re-assemble!

Dick, the car is in very similar shape to mine as far as the floors go. The convert rear seats are in the same state as mine are. That is, stripped of padding and vinyl with a patina of surface rust. Nothing that POR-15 won't seal up.

On the Seat...Tom Fox's car does fine with split bench so yours should too. I did pick up a swivel seat arrangement right after I picked up the car for the sum of $350. I thought I was getting ripped off, but now it looks like a deal. I am looking for an upholstery shop to do the period and correct pattern on them. If you guys have a shop to recommend, I have don't problem shipping them my seats.

Margie.... Well what can I say, Nice lady! Her maiden name is O'Quinn and her father is named John O'Quinn! Thought I had a way in with her but "smooth talking Dick Koch" was even smoother! :lol:

Always good having someone else look for converts for ya! Maybe she will find another one for me!

Dick, I still don't see that other interior quarter convert interior panel. Hopefully it is in the trunk or someone will have to fab one up for you. Other then that... I see nothing there you can't do! PS I have another Grill screen for you and I will put in the mail for you as the beginning or my (others will too!)contributions to make this convert whole again. I do have two extra 59 convert top switch handles if you are missing yours. You only get one (can't be piggish!) That is, if you need one.

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks for the offers John - I have a lot of assessing to do. Margie had kind words for you and told me about her fathers name. If I was you I would give Just Dashes a call, I know they have/make the correct factory cloth and I'm pretty sure they do upholstery and door panels. Margie is a Zumba instructor so would be hard to keep up with, besides I can afford to restore the Convertible but can you imagine the cost of Just maintenance on Margie or any woman for that matter. Uh, Oh, I'm in trouble, but sometimes I just can't help myself.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick you are such a Man's Man! :lol: No woman can resist your Sean Connery voice you do to get your way!
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I know I wrote a long post yesterday concerning a search for the former owner...I cannot find that post, so I will write it again and carefully "send" it.

Dick wrote that the former owner has disappeared. My response was Don't give up so soon! If the former owner sold the car to Margie, Margie will have that name on a Bill of Sale. If I misunderstood, and the car was sold to Margie's boss-who was to restore it for Margie-, well, that complicates things a little. I'll assume the widow is not in a chatty mood. If the missing lady was living in a small town, Margie could go to city hall and ask who used to live in the house. At the local post office she could inquire as to who used to live there. If the lady disappeared less than a year ago, she is probably still having her mail forwarded to current address, so a person could write to her for information. If the house is for sale by a real estate agency, they can give you the owner or renter's name. If the car title was not changed, Dick will have her name on the title. With a name, I can search the Internet and find her.
If Margie bought the car, how is it that Mike's widow sold the car? I can understand Margie not having the resources to maintain the car once it was restored...am I to understand that she couldn't afford to restore it in the first place, and had the widow sell it for her?
I am just trying to get the facts straight in my head. :)
Last edited by rogerh on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

In some emails to me, Margie said she was Mike's long time assistant at his business and I she was wrapping up some of Mike's business for his family. I think she was trying to help liquidate some of his holdings for Mike's family. At least that is what she presented to me in her emails.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

What it boils down to is this:
Who did our Mr. Koch buy the car from? Whose name is on the Bill of Sale?
I am still interested in tracking down the missing lady.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Hmmm... maybe the sale is bad and there is still hope....Naw, the vehicle is on the way to the Sunshine State and Dick will figure out who is on the title and if it was endorsed correctly by the person on the title or someone who can represent the estate of the deceased.

But if we need to store the car in Colo while it gets sorted out for the next 10 years...fine by me! :P

Wishful in Colorado...

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - I'm not even goint to try and uravel your post. Just say what I know. Apparently the car could be seen from the road and they tried many times to buy it. The lady would not sell, then one day margie stopped and offered to buy it and she said OK. Margie speculates that the lady was moving (reasons unknow) and thats the reason she sold. She would not help them move it so Mike her boss went to the ladies house and he paid cash for the car with no title, I don't know what Margie and Mikes relationship was but she said he was going to restore it for her. I don't know if it was free or she was going to pay him. I don't know about California but in Florida when I die everything, even the junk belongs to my wife and she can do anything she wants with it. I'm sure Margie was assisting the wife in settling her affairs. I don't know what the time line is for any of these events, it could be month or even years. I will be receiving in the mail a Bill of Sale so I can get a Florid title. I also don't know if there are even any vin tags on the car so just in case please start looking to see if you have any vin tags, preferable for a convertible. You to John. Please? In any event, I'm glad the car is on its way. All I'm going to do is restore it and enjoy it. Who knows maybe one day I will drive to where you are and you can drive it there or come on down to Florida.

I went to a MOPAR CAR SHOW / SWAP MEET today in Melbourne, Fl. about 118 miles from here. Ther were at lease 250 cars and lots of parts vendors. I just happend to find a complete set of seats out of a 67 Barracuda in excellent condition (No Rust), front bench with an armrest and the back seats for only $150.00. they are about 3" narrower than the swivel seats in Greenie but I can make them work. The guy goes fishing here reguarly so he will bring them to me. I had my Desoto so I'm grateful for that. Meanwhile I will be looking for the correct seats and if I find them I can easily get my money back on these, maybe even more. See pitchuhs.
Dick.
100_2449.jpg
100_2448.jpg
100_2447.jpg
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dick,
Allow me to apologise for deluging you with questions. I will control myself from here on. :oops:
Your seat purchase looks fantastic.
I did have have a Belv VIN plate off my car, not sure where it would be now. :(
Matthew, did I ship it in the trunk?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - No need to apoligize, I didn't take offense in any way, and don't ever stop asking questions, because I'm not going to stop, there were just too many I had no answer for. I bet you wake up in the dead of night and remember where that Vin tag is.
Dick.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, I bought my Convertible with a Bill of Sale too! I still have to do all the Colorado DMV stuff for a title, but before I can do it I have to have it clear a State Police inspection and to have it running and all the lights have to work and the horn. So no issues with me on the Bill of Sale, I am in the same boat. I did do a VIN search in Montana where the car came from and no record was found, They purge records after 5 years of not being registered.

Now I don't know if you know it but the tag on a 59 Convertible is on the cowl area right above the power brake area. Let me dig up a picture of Tom's car to show you the area. It is not on the A plillar hinge area like HT and Sedans and there is no body/build tag either on the passenger side upper cowl.

There is nothing on the VIN that indicates a Convertible. Only the model year 1959 (M) plant code (3) and engine (V8,"2" or 6 cylider,"1") .The only way to discover what type of VIN it is for body style wise, is to do the IBM build car stuff with Chrysler Historical. That would show HT convert, Sedan or Wagon and if it was 2 door or 4 door. Plus paint, options etc.

I will scan thru the pictures you have posted and the ones Margie sent me to see if it shows a VIN on the upper cowl area. Even if you are missing one, A state issued VIN would be issued if you can not locate a VIN number for it.

I think all converts for Plymouth were made in Evansville,Indiana Correct me if I am wrong Roger. I know that Tom F's and my convert start with M253 xxxxxx and a SF version would be M293 (all being V8's) never saw a 6 cylinder convert of our year...Did they make converts with 6 cylinders?

John Q.
048.JPG
Tom's Belvy' VIN location above the cowl
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

I keep posting pictures of Tom Fox''s car since it is a reference restoration for me. I have 60 some odd pictures of Tom's car when he came to Colorado a few years back, The date on the pictures is incorrect it was in the last 3 to 4 years.

Dick, I will put these 60 pics on a Flash drive for you for you to use as a reference too.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)