Power brake trouble

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Silverbullet07

Power brake trouble

Post by Silverbullet07 »

My father has a 59 sports fury convertible with the golden commando engine. It came with power brakes which seems more like manual brakes. He states you seem to have to really press on the brakes like they have no power assist. My uncle sent off the power buster to be rebuilt and they got it back but it did not help. They have tried different vacume ports but did not seem to make a difference.

Does any one have any other thoughts we should try?

Thanks.
Mark Merritt

Re: Power brake trouble

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hello; have you bled the master cylinder,brake cylinders? Maybe something is junked up.you should hear the booster making A little noise when pressing on the brakes,are the shoes adjusted ok,just kissing the drum when not applying the brake? Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hello again: Does the engine idle ok?(possible vacum leak) The vacum cannister does not leak? Just some more thoughts Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
kenmorton

Post by kenmorton »

If it isn't a vacuum problem, I would check for a collapsed brake hose. I had a similar problem with my 59 Fury. Several mechanics told me it was the power booster. I wasn't convinced. Had all the brake lines replaced. That solved the problem.

Ken
Silverbullet07

Post by Silverbullet07 »

Thanks everyone.
I'll relay the information to him incase he can have some one check it out for him. He lives a couple hours away so will not be able to physically look at it for him till the next visit.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Here's how I would proceed:
with the engine running, have someone step on the brake pedal while you observe the brake booster...does it "accordion" in like it's supposed to?
If the booster action checks out, next I would jack up the wheels one at a time and see if they turn freely, and stop rotating when brake is applied.
I think Ken has it right...flexible hoses clogging up from the inside due to age.
Could also be the master cylinder needs to be replaced. Very few folks take the time to change brake fluid and flush lines. In time the fluid goes bad.
Last edited by rogerh on Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hey Silverbullet - Put your foot on the brake pedal then start the engine, if you feel a slight downward movement of the pedal it probably is not a vacuum leak but elsewhere in the system.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

And we ALL jumped past THE STANDING REQUEST: Please post us some pictures of your Dads SF!
Silverbullet07

Post by Silverbullet07 »

rogerh wrote:And we ALL jumped past THE STANDING REQUEST: Please post us some pictures of your Dads SF!
I hear you.. It may be a few weeks before I can get back up there but I'll get some for you. It was restored last year and it is absolutely beautiful.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Completely restored? Including brake lines? Hmm- :(
Is your dad upstate NY?
Silverbullet07

Post by Silverbullet07 »

rogerh wrote:Completely restored? Including brake lines? Hmm- :(
Is your dad upstate NY?
I can't say for sure what they replaced the lines but I would think so. I know I would. He is in WV.

My Uncle is Benny Buckner in Princeton WV. His name has been spoke of a little here on the forum. He has several acres of mopars and a restoration shop. Benny purchased this Sports Fury in this thread (viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2058) and sold it to my dad which is his brother.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Ah yes, I remember this topic and car. I realise it isn't your car and you are not near it.
In the original thread posted in 2012, it was said the car was restored TEN years ago, then sat in an enclosed trailer.
You wrote that it was restored last year, so we don't know which is correct...maybe both?
Oh well, looking forward to hearing more about this car-