59 Sport Fury brakes

Got a question? This is the place to ask
53619PLF

59 Sport Fury brakes

Post by 53619PLF »

I am asking a question here due to something I read in a wanted post about brakes on a 59 Plymouth. I have a 59 Sport Fury convertible with 48,xxx actual miles. It has always stopped straight, with no pulling to one side or the other ever. The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes there is a howling sound when you apply the brakes, but never seems to effect the stopping. Not sure what that sound is. Do not know if something is rubbing or not ? I have never had the drums off yet to look at the brakes. I have seen talk about the single versus 3 platform brakes. Does this refer to the areas the brake shoe rides on, or what exactly is the difference ?
Matthew Keij

Re: 59 Sport Fury brakes

Post by Matthew Keij »

The howling sound could be a shoe that needs to be sanded a little bit.
It's a good idea to get the drums off and give the brakes a clean.

What the exact difference is between the brakes, no idea!
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi 53619PLF - You probably told me your name before but I forgot. The howling is explained in Service Reference Book no. 105 page 18. The new 3 platform brakes are explained in Service Reference Book no. 138. I have in the back of my mind that Ron Keij posted some of the Service Reference Book on this site but I can't find them. SRB 138 description says, at first glance you'll see a lot of similarity between the parts of the new 3-platform brake and the single plane brakes. The parts are not interchangeable and must be treated accordingly. For example, the dust shield, shoes, support assemblies, return springs, and wheel cylinders are different. I didn't look it up but your Parts and Service Manuals my define it better.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Ýou can find the Service Reference book for the 3-platform brakes in the Gallery http://www.59plymouth.net/59gallery/thu ... p?album=37
Parts and service manuals are under print http://www.59plymouth.net/59gallery/index.php?cat=38

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...