Torque Converter

Got a question? This is the place to ask
53619PLF

Torque Converter

Post by 53619PLF »

I am getting closer to changing my powerflite over to a torqueflite in my 59 Sport Fury. I have two torqueflite transmissions. The one I will use was originally behind a 361, and is a 59 transmission. The other is a different year, but is a close year, and was behind a 318. The kick down linkage is a bit different. I am not totally sure if I have the right torque converter in the transmission that it originally came out of. Will this be an issue ? Will there be a difference in the torque converters between a 318 and the 361 ? Is there a way to tell the difference ? Does the torque converter need serviced or rebuilt ? Have never done much with automatics. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Mark Merritt

Re: Torque Converter

Post by Mark Merritt »

53619PLF; I don't see what the difference would be,it should bolt up the same{torque converter].As far as rebuilding the converter it is A good idea to do it if you had the tranny rebuilt,it is cut in half,cleaned out,possibly A spacer shim replaced,and welded back together.I had my tranny and converter rebuilt and my shop said they would not warrant the tranny rebuild if I didn,t get the converter rebuilt[makes sense}possible dirt/debris entering the fresh tranny.It was sent to some where in the south,Tennessee I think,the tranny was done here at their shop.Good luck, Mark M
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Survivor - I suggest you take a look at your parts book and compare part #'s paying attention to model numbers. When I had my trannys rebuilt I also had the Torque Converters rebuilt.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

I have a 59 parts book, and will look to see what is listed for torque converters. Will there be any numbers or identification to tell which one is which ? I do not remember seeing any, but it has been quite awhile since I looked at them. The 59 transmission I will be using came out of a Desoto, can not remember which model, but is the one with the same wheelbase as the 59 Plymouth. Is that the Fireflite ? I checked that years ago. I have had these transmissions about 6 or 7 years now. I also got the drive shaft from that car, as I am betting it is shorter than the one used with the powerflite, but do not really know.
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

I don't know if this will help you but the 318 converter is a smaller diameter. Forgot the exact figures but the 361 unit is about 12-1/2" dia. and the 318 closer to 11-3/4" or so. Both transmissions fit either converter. Shouldn't be any problems with the starter fit. When you have the converter in front of you, might be a good time to put on a new ring gear. Great wintertime project, too - warm the new ring gear on a wood stove, and put the ready and waiting converter outside in the snow for a while, then drop the new gear on easily.

Bernie
big m

Post by big m »

Rule of thumb with the converters-
Wedge engines use the same converter regardless of make, '58-'61. Your Desoto converter will interchange with the Plymouth 361 converter.

To check to see if your converter is good, the splines on the Taurus that the input shaft fits into should only turn one direction. If that is the case, there is a 99% chance there is no trouble with the converter. Some transmission shops will have a flushing machine that your converter can be carefully flushed out without the added cost for rebuilding one.

---John
In rust we trust!