Flame Red Paint?????????

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Dick Koch

Flame Red Paint?????????

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Everybody - I am repainting my red & white SF and have some questions about color and type of paint. I have paint charts that specify the 59 red is flame red. I am not sure about the red on my car being flame red, the previous owner said if was from a later year chrysler car. I have some paint charts and Martin Senior numbers but am wondering if any of ya'll have matched it. I have had several suggestions as to the process and type of paints to use. I welcome any suggestions from you quys. I plan on blocking and painting the car myself.

l. Single Stage only.
2. Single stage then clear coat. (uv protection) 3. Mix single stage and clear coat 50/50 for last coat. (uv protection)
4. Base coat/Clear coat.

When I give the numbers I have to paint suppliers they say that they can not give me a matching number for base coat/clear coat because the numbers I have are for single stage.

I want to get a match with the flame red and will use whichever system as long as it's flame red.

A very confused.
Dick Koch
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am way out of my league here but I recall the painter telling me the Original paint codes wouldnt work they were lacquer paint codes, and my painter wanted to use the basecoat-clear coat method ...we took an original sample of color (like from under the contintental kit), then we compared that to the vinyl we were going to buy for the seats...and came up with a good match.
rogerh
Dick Koch

Flame Red Paint?????????

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks Roger - I have no way to match the paint, the car was originally white. I have a paint chart but the paint Chit looks faded.
Thanks,
Dick
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

well, I should check before I speak, but here goes: I thnk there is a Ditzler chart somewhere on the ForwardLook Site..hopefully I am right and it contains modern formulas..
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yes the link is there in ForwardLook.net. In Parts and Services, there is a link to Autocolorlibrary.com, which lists the PPG paint codes. Hopefully there will be information there which will aid your in a "modern" repaint.
big m

Post by big m »

Depending on how 'old car friendly' your local automotive paint supply store is, many can now cross reference the old lacquer paint codes over to modern paints. Also, many use computer color matching when a chip of your old paint is brought in. Seems to work quite well from when I have had it done. ---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi John, Yes, thats what I did. Used a chip of paint in a computer, and had some of the vinyl with me to compare (nothing worse that a clash of colors with convertible top down, as pointed out to me by Tom Fox).
Dick does not have the original red..his car was factory white, and someone added a later year Chrysler red to it.
The Flame Red was a Dupont "Duco" mix. That's as far as I go. Was Ditzler a subsidiary of Dupont, or Duco or PPG..I have NO idea..you need to go to the commercial supplier that sell to the automotive paint and repair shops. Bring your painter with you! At $80/gallon, probably more, you don't want to get it wrong!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks Roger and Big m,
I have a least 4 Auto paint stores close to my house and non of them care, thier attitute is PICK A COLOR FROM THE CHART .

Roger I went to the Autocolor site, they seem to want to help and I like that. They say they can match the 59 Flame Red with any PPG paint. I'm thinking of going with the Concept CLV Low VOC Acrylic Urethane Single Stage. This paint offers the option of being clearcoated which is what I will do. It can be used for spot, panel and overall repair and painting. It is $213.50 per gallon. WOW!!! free Shipping. Thats the same kind of pricing I'm getting around here. Question, The spec sheet says its designed to spray at 3.5 VOC, do you know what that means.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

just a guess, but being in construction, I have heard about low VOC's in things such as oil paint and contact cement. The lower the VOC the less pollution you are creating.."volatile somethingor other". The lo VOC contact cement doesnt work well, neither does water-based construction adhesive..I dont want to pollute, but I want the products I use to work as needed.
Hey, while I have your attention, Ed Eckerson is asking for advice on how a gastank filler line goes together..can you pitch in here? Its been a long time since I re-asembed my filler theres an inner pipe and the outer pipe and some gaskets...
roger
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I have been talking to Ed about that filler pipe, I will put the emails on the mailing list so all can see and give some input.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

great. I told him I'd take mine apart to figure it out..
I think Beth Harris (CT) recently re-did her tank..but I cant find her Email address.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

VOC=Volatile organic compounds..stuff that vaporizes and causes ozone depletion.