Off to the transmission shop...

Your banter here!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey, maybe Dick Koch could pick it up...! (not likely)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yeah Dick, ALl I have to do is meet you at Fremans Auto...
That would give me a serious purpose to go there
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

But seriously now, Dick, does your stop at Fremans Auto coincide with the Keijes 2007 tour of the US western States? I could get very interested in bringing my Plymouth to a rendezvous at Freman's with the Keijes and Dick Koch and whomever else...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Dan

Just to cheer you up a little: Don’t look to much on the money – it’s already gone and you receive a good transmission for it and don’t have to worry or even think about it anymore. A friend of mine once said: “I don’t know how much it costs and I also don’t want to know how much it is, because if I would know it then also my wife would know it and she is the last one who may know that”

Stefan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Dan,
That is totally harsh news. I have a hard time believing it..the former owners treated the car well!
What company in WA state had the needed parts?
I'm not sure, Roger -- it's one that Roy identified through his connections.

I just now checked my Fatsco receipt: May of 2003. And I didn't put many miles on the car until Carlisle, because of the engine problems! That's the double-rip.
rogerh wrote: Anyway, I want to tell you I have a torqueflite sitting in my driveway, I would gladly pay someone to take it away. I cannot vouch for its condition. It came out of a car I parted out. I did have one other tranny..the guy who took it never complained about it...so I assume it worked for him. That one may have come out of a running parts car, I am thinking it was the Suburban I sold to Ken Josephson of Las Vegas.
Of course if you spend 2K, you will have a "new" and more importantly guaranteed unit. If only we knew someone driving from Seattle to Philadelphia..he could bring this one to you..
as Carole King sang..."so far away..."
Well, that should be you driving, Roger! Is it a cast iron unit? But like you say, when you consider shipping + labor -- it probably pays for me to get mine rebuilt.

So, come without the tranny. I'll leave the front light on for you! :lol:

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

sportfury1959 wrote:Dan

Just to cheer you up a little: Don’t look to much on the money – it’s already gone and you receive a good transmission for it and don’t have to worry or even think about it anymore. A friend of mine once said: “I don’t know how much it costs and I also don’t want to know how much it is, because if I would know it then also my wife would know it and she is the last one who may know that”

Stefan
Stefan, thanks for the good advice! I feel better already... :roll:
Faulkner

Re: Off to the transmission shop...

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:(*sigh*)... Now, to explain all this to Marie...
Well, I debated with myself how to handle this, until I decided that honesty was the best policy. I called her at work, and told her "I have bad news about the car." I guess at first she thought I had an accident in our regular car! So perhaps that wasn't a bad way to start off, because when I told her the $$, she said....

...drum roll please....

"It is, what it is."

:) :) :) :) :)
big m

Post by big m »

That's good, at least it sounds like you will not be sleeping in the doghouse. ---John
In rust we trust!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

I am not the expert on the old Mopar transmissions from 1959, but I can share a transmission story with you. Mine was the 2 speed version behind a flatheat 6 and would have made a great boat anchor. My car is now powered with a 1976 318 v8 with a 904 transmission.

I had the motor built "somewhat" from its stock (anemic) 150 horsepower and I had the transmission rebuilt using a transmission guy that drilled out some passages so the transmission would perform more like a shift kit was installed. I loved the hard positive shifts when mashing the pedal but the car was still a dog.

Several years ago I installed a 2100-2400 RPM stall Mopar Performace torque converter (purchased at Carlisle). Now I am in love with my new found performance. I am not sure anything like this is possible with the old cast iron units but I must say I am sorry I waited around so long to make the change!

Curt In MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi Curt,
Can you tell the List more about stall converters? What is the difference..what is being improved? I am not wise in the ways performance items.
-Roger-
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Group,

I will explain about stall converters for transmissions in simple terms since I am not a mechanic.

To Stall means to slip. Not great usually when you are talking transmissions. But when a car is underpowered and you have a normal stall converter say 800 - 1200 RPM and you mash the pedal - the car motor struggles to make enough horsepower to get things moving.

With a Stall Converter - 2100 RPM is considered "mild". You mash the pedal - the motor jumps to 2100 RPM or so and is in its power range when it is delivering max horsepower - then it gets things moving in a hurry. In my case it can turn over both rear tires (225-60-R15's) using a 323 Posi. The result is a thrill ride. To put things in perspective - Cars that drag race 1/4 mile may have a 5000 rpm stall converters that allows them to rev up at the line in gear without burning up the tires.

This is not for everyone. A mild stall allows you to opearte the car almost like a stick shift when parking - car will slip on hills rather than changing from P to D.

There are critics that will tell you that you may have slippage at highway speeds but that does not happen with the 2100 range converters. I have never experienced any slippage once the car is rolling and to have a shift kit (or drilled passages) is icing on the cake because the car "shifts" into 2nd and third gears with "Fury" or conviction.

I am willing to accept any comments or criticism as I am just the driver - not the mechanic - But I do like the thrill!

Curt in MD
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Group,

One additional item.

The 2100 stall converter actually locks-up at 2100-2400.

What that means is that the car will actually start to move at just a little higher range than normal (maybe 1000 rpm) when you are starting out slowly but the change is almost un-noticible. When driving the car at slower speeds you hardle notice a difference at all.

I understood from others (critics) that prolonged slow driving speeds (less than 1500 RPM) may cause additional heat from the slippage. I have never experienced that in my many miles with a stall converter. Yes I have sat in long Bay Bridge Back ups on the highway.

Curt in MD
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

good information..I think I am grasping the concept..this is for "mashing" the pedal..which I like to do once in a while, but my car must be way out of tune as it does not respond much..and I have that 361w/ 2 bbl...from a 1961 Chrysler...my friend down in Oregon adjusted his tranny..cant recall the specific part he modified..but his car really "moves"..of course the block was bored out as well
Faulkner

Re: Off to the transmission shop...

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:The guy had a heckuva time locating parts, Fatsco has neither part. He did track down a pump in Washington state!
Still no sign of the parts; maybe Thursday, I'm told. Faulkner should be available next week. He better! I need to get him safely ensconced back in his garage, before we head off to the Netherlands...

Hey! A solution to the space problem, Ron! Send Matthew here to live in my house while I come visit you, he can take care of Faulkner and work on the trim too! 8)

Dan
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Dan,

What are your plans for your visit in Germany? I can’t be there but still can give you some ideas, help, advice …..

Stefan