Off to the transmission shop...

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Faulkner's fixed -- kinda

Post by Faulkner »

Well, the transmission shifts like a dream! And, the car runs well... Except, at a light. I had to keep my foot on the gas and the brake at the same time to keep it from stalling on the trip back to the garage; I hated having to do that.

I know I have a problem with the carburator acceleration pump -- Roger pointed that out to me this summer -- but the idle is so low, that if I didn't keep the engine revved, it would stall when the light turned green and I stepped on the gas. So I'm wondering if this is a carburator problem, or if something else is implicated -- e.g., isn't the transmission kickdown linkage tied into the transmission, and could removing it to drop the transmission and putting it back on have affected the carburator? Is it possible that all I need to do is adjust the linkage?

At any rate, Faulkner's safely back in the garage. Lots of fixing up to do, but that will have to wait until I get back from Europe.

4 days 'til we leave! :o :o :o :o
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

My very limited understanding of the kickdown function is this:
Your car is rolling aling in Drive... you stomp on the gas, and the tranny (via linkage) changes the gear from Drive to Low. This is ONLY when you stomp on the gas pedal, and while the car is moving... you'd use this for accelerating, or to pass, most often.
Now when the car is stopped at a light, although the tranny is still in Drive, there isnt enough pressure with the tranny fluid to move the car. If your car is stalling at this point, shift to Neutral to see if that helps. Now if the car still won't idle, it is NOT related to the tranny...you have a fuel or ignition (timing) problem.
I had my four barel carb rebuilt for $120. The rebuild kit cost me $28...I just didnt want to buy the carb cleaner and deal with all the small parts!
It would be nice to put this problem onto the tranny repair man but I dont think he will agree...
BTW, have a great trip!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

dan reported that the estimate was in the 2K range..is that the final cost of a Torqueflite rebuild?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:dan reported that the estimate was in the 2K range..is that the final cost of a Torqueflite rebuild?
$2003.12, total. Right on the button.

BTW, you should have seen the old seals, Roger. They were as brittle as bones. It's a wonder the transmission shifted at all! It was expensive, but I'm glad it's done.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Hi Dan,

I thought you were flying yesterday or is it today???

I am glad the transmission is complete now and shifting like a dream. I remember growing up driving cars at a car wash and I always found the Mopar products had the best transmissions for quick positive shifts.

I figured out one 10 hour day at that car wash that I personally drove nearly 1,000 cars. It was the best car education I ever received.

Now all you need is that carb rebuilt or at least looked at in detail.

Have a great vacation. Keep us posted.

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!