question about rim color

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

question about rim color

Post by Faulkner »

Don Mack wrote:I have a white 1959 Plymouth Belvedere. Does anyone know for sure the original colour of the rims of this car. Mine are after market rims (black). The spare is a bias tire and has a silver-grey rim. I am in the process of acquiring original rims, and would like to keep the colour original. Thanks guys, Don
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Re: question about rim color

Post by rogerh »

I don't know FOR SURE, but my OPINION is that a vast majority of rims were argent (silver-grey), to match the under-hood color, the front valance panel, etc. This topic was brought up once before, and some wrote in to say their rims were black. I believe this was possible, as the various factories would vary from the norm depending on available supply.
duggar

Post by duggar »

The rims were originally silver. The silver makes the car look right... any other color is not correct.
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Hope this reply is not too late to help, but the answer really lies with what the original wheel covers were. If it was full wheel covers, as was standard on Sport Furys, then it would be argent (silver) on the outside face and black on the inside, undercarriage side of the wheel. But if if was just the "dog dish" hubcaps, then in most cases the wheels were the same color as the lower body, but I'm not sure if the insides were black on the painted wheels or were body color on both sides. Good luck findiing an original painted wheel and examining the inside.

I've seen '59 Dodge wheels that were two colored on the outside! Argent and body color.

There may have been some bodyside colors that were not compitable as wheel colors; not sure, maybe the white bodies had black wheels. I do recall seeing a gold colored station wagon back in the late 1960's that had gold wheels. It was unusual being a two-door, with Golden Commando engine, definitely original.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Check these out :wink:

Too big so click the link:
http://www.59sportfury.net/ephemera/images/print/71.jpg
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”