repaint!

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Ron Keij

Re: repaint!

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote:I dunno, guys. You've gone this far -- maybe it's time for frame-off resto :lol:

Dan
Not today, but who knows what happens tomorrow :lol: But I guess that is not going to happen, the frame is solid as a rock. And I want to keep some money in my pocket so I can come over to Carlisle and show everybody the pics of our "new" car.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Ron and Matthew,

I haven’t been here for a long while. As you are doing a fundamental intervention allow me to make a suggestion: When you put the side trim on again the use a M3 double side adhesive in order to avoid that metal to metal contact. Even with good clips on the side trim it's moving a little when you drive on bad roads for example. Do that with all the side and roof trim and you will get a perfect result without clattering and paint scratching. If you want I can send you some pix. Second, I know it’s a question of personal taste, but I would close the holes of the rear antennas and place them more to the outside of the vehicle. When I see your car straight from the back, the rear antennas simply look too close together. The rest: More pictures please :) . Roger is right, it’s good to see somebody’s project!
Good Luck!

Stefan
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Hi Stefan,

We did miss your postings for a while, how is the 361 project going???

Please send me the pics of the way you attched the trim on your car, I like the idea of using adhesive. The trim was attached pretty good but I certainly don't want to use the stuff that was on the car, it is almost impossible to remove. The rear antennas are going to be moved sideways, we had the same idea about it. We placed them there because we already had the holes there from the old non original antennas. If there is anyone who can give me the exact location where the antennas are supposed to be placed please let me know!

As for pictures, I'd like to make some new ones but the weather has been really bad for a couple of weeks here and I really need to get the car out of the garage :x But for sure we will make pics next week, only 8 days before she leaves for the body shop.

Ron
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hi Ron,

361 is running. Unfortunately the engine takes about 25 l/100. I’m waiting now for new carburettor jets and metering rods. I still owe the members here a little movie. I’ll do it when I’m satisfied.

Here the pictures:
I used 3M double side adhesive band for automotive trims. Glued it to the back of the side trim, then I positioned the side trim on the car and then I removed the red protection cover of the adhesive band. At least I pressed the side trim against the car and that’s it. There is no place where metal touches metal, that eliminates the parasite noise and improves fun, really!

Stefan

100_1073.JPG
100_1091.JPG
100_1078.JPG
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

sportfury1959 wrote:Hi Ron,

361 is running. Unfortunately the engine takes about 25 l/100. I’m waiting now for new carburettor jets and metering rods. I still owe the members here a little movie. I’ll do it when I’m satisfied.
For our friends in the US: 25 liter per 100 kilometer is about 10-11 miles per gallon. I think that it isn't too bad for the 361? You are lucky that the price of oil keeps going down :) In the Netherlands prices are as "low" as they were in 2005, still too high but for us paying $6.20 a gallon is a bargain!
sportfury1959 wrote:Here the pictures:
I used 3M double side adhesive band for automotive trims. Glued it to the back of the side trim, then I positioned the side trim on the car and then I removed the red protection cover of the adhesive band. At least I pressed the side trim against the car and that’s it. There is no place where metal touches metal, that eliminates the parasite noise and improves fun, really!

Stefan
Good idea! I will check where I can buy the 3M adhesive band here. Did you also use some kind of insulation for the roof (inside) and the floor?

Ron
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hi Ron,

It’s even less than 10 mpg, it’s about 8 mph. Meanwhile I have adjusted the float level and next week I get a new set of metering rods and jets. If it still won’t work, then I’ll give up – no kidding now!

I have some tar pads on the floor. For the roof I ripped the old pads out and glued a new solid foam pad in. The glue withstands >100º. The saddler who did that job used the foam pad from a VW Golf and cut it in shape. It doesn’t really help against noise, but it isolates the heat from the roof and I can fix my headliner now with a Velcro band so it doesn’t fall on my head anymore!

Stefan
100_1027.JPG
100_1030.JPG
100_1066.JPG
100_1409.JPG
100_1416.JPG
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

sportfury1959 wrote:Hi Ron,

It’s even less than 10 mpg, it’s about 8 mph.
All this converting is getting complicated but I guess you mean 8 mpg instead of 8 miles per hour :lol: Maybe at that speed you would get a better milage :D

But I did make a mistake in my calculation, today (without whiskey) it seems to be about 9.5 mpg. Not very good as I get almost 18 miles out of a gallon with my 318. What are your alternatives when it won't get better?

Thanks for the info and the pictures! I think we'll use the foam pad from another German car, matthew works at the local Opel dealer and he probably can get the foam pad for a Opel Astra cheaper.

Ron
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Ron Keij wrote:All this converting is getting complicated but I guess you mean 8 mpg instead of 8 miles per hour :lol: Maybe at that speed you would get a better milage :D
Fainally you've got me laughing :lol: . Of course you are right! - But it doesnt' matter if its miles per gallon or miles per hour - it doesn't take very long untill the tank is dry again.

Alternatives: I do it like John Wayne with his horse - Shot her :evil: .
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I sincerely hope that a carburetor re-build raises your Euros spent per meter driven, because I don't want you to have to shoot your car-
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Ron, super pictures to watch of your restoration tear down, I have bunch on my Belvedere Convert restoration if people are interested in other journeys....maybe when I am done in a month or two.
I do have a copy of the Original Plymouth/Dodge dual antennae template to be used for the location of the dual antennae's, I could scan it and email it to you, I don't know if the scanning would reduce the scale of the template. I could put some Inch/Centimeter scale on it just in case. Or I can just mail it to you, your choice.
If anyone else wants a copy let me know. :D
John
Denver 59 Fin Convert
Arvada, Colo
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hello!
I never knew such a thing existed! If only you could find a way to post that information to THIS site (after all , that is what this site is all about..) Are you there, Dan Morton?
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Roger, I received this template a few years ago,it has markings on it for the holes. On one the template is ftwo dahsed line to use. One is for the Dodge mounting and one for Plymouth, the base of reference is the curvature of the trunk line (dutchmant panel) to orient the template. It is a two sided template. You would flip it over for the right or left side.

I made copies of it (two pages) My copy was a copy itself after I was not able to buy the original on ebay, I contacted the seller and had her make me a copy of the template before she shipped the original. When I recieved it I made additonal copies of each side and the cut them out and taped them back to back to recreate the original.

Should I scan and send them to you for posting?

John
Denver 59 Fin Convert
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

John,

If possible I would also like to have this template. I also have two rear antennas in my locker for years now and didn’t install them because I didn’t want to place the holes in the wrong place.

Roger,

Yeah, maybe I should change my scale from m(iles)pg to m(eter)pg. That could cheer me up!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Denver 59 Fin Convert wrote: I made copies of it (two pages) My copy was a copy itself after I was not able to buy the original on ebay, I contacted the seller and had her make me a copy of the template before she shipped the original. When I recieved it I made additonal copies of each side and the cut them out and taped them back to back to recreate the original.
Hi John, I'd be happy to scan these and post here. But your concern about slight scaling is a legitimate one. Even the copies the eBay seller sent you could be slightly scaled; and again, when you made copies.

However, this can be corrected if there are any fiducial markings on the template. i.e., if there is a hole marked "1/4 inch", then the entire diagram can be rescaled with Photoshop to make that hole exactly "1/4 inch" -- and unless there was also distortion, all the other markings should follow.

I'd be happy to play with it if you send me a copy. Then, I can put in a pdf file and post here. When printed from the pdf, it should retain the proper scale.

I'll email you my address privately.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dan, I dug out the template and it it does show the 1/4 inch holes that will assist in any scaling issues should there be any. The date on the template is for use on 57 and 58 Dodges and Plymouths. So just like our Factory Service Manuals which mostly was a 1958 issue with a 1959 supplement. This was not reissued for the 59 model year. At least as far as I can find out....
My Father, who was a Stamping Engineer in Detroit for Chrysler from 1959 to 1993 , also confirmed that the trunk openings area near stayed the same for 59 as the previous two years. The Stamping Dies used were the same for the openings, Amazing, he is 80 years old and can remember this....But can't remember turning off the pan on the stove....
I also layed this template on some Denver area Fin cars a year ago, and the countour of the template was identical to the curvature of the uppper trunk openings. I tried it on a 57 Plymouth 2 door HT and a 58 Dodge Convert and the template lined up perfectly. I also lined tup the base line on the countour of the template on my 59 Belvedere Convert upper trunk openings and again a perfect match. So I am 100% sure that it will work on all 59 Plymouths. I even cut my holes for the Duals based on this Template on my Convert.
I have a friend here in Denver with a 58 DeSoto Convert, but have not tried to see if this would work on Desoto's too, the Template notation said that it was for "57 & 59 Plymouths and Dodges exc, Surbarban's" I will call him on Friday and see if it will line up on his DeSoto.
If all can wait till Friday, I can scan and email to all who wants it. I will also mail to all who wants it delivered that way. I can also fax, but I know that might reduce the scale by 2% or less.
Dan, your copy is in the envelope already and will be mailed to you on Friday.

John
Denver 59 Fin Convert
Arvada,Colo
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)