Plymouth Historical and engine and trans info

Got a question? This is the place to ask
53619PLF

Plymouth Historical and engine and trans info

Post by 53619PLF »

Hello,

1.) I was reading on some other posts about the Chrysler Historical Society. I take it that it is possible to get an IBM punch card of the original build data of Chrysler cars ? What is the range of years that are possible to get this information ?. I didn't see a phone number, but saw an address. It said it was 50.00 to get this information. Is that still correct ?. I am not sure exactly which post I saw this on, but will search again.

2.) Will a 4 push button box for the powerflite transmission on the 59 Plymouth still operate a torqueflite transmission except for low 1. ?

3.) Between the different Chrysler divisions, are the 361 engines marked differently within the 59 model year ?. Are they the same as far as casting numbers, and any stampings put on them for the same year of engine for 1959 ?. Where are the markings on a 318 and a 361 ?.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Tim Baker
rogerh

Re: Plymouth Historical and engine and trans info

Post by rogerh »

Hi Tim,
Sorry nobody seems to have the answers for you. I will struggle thru, as I cannot say any of this with certainty-
Chrysler Historical will send you a photocopy of your punchcard. I don't have either the address or the current cost, but I believe $50 is accurate. It will not be de-coded, however.

I do not think the powerflite pushbutton control will operate a torqueflite. There has to be some differences in the cable travel between the two..and the amount of travel needs to be pretty accurate.

According to the 1959 Mopar Parts Book, the engine ID number on a 361 is on front of the block beneath the driver's side cylinder head. (I disagree with this, and later today maybe I can post a photo of the location on my 361.)The 318 has its number on top of the cylinder block, behind the waterpump.
Sorry for my lame answers..I don't spend a lot of time with old cars anymore..
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Thank you for the response Roger. Just searching Chrysler Historical Society I found a website that gave the address to send the $50.00 to for the IBM cards. Some gentleman has his card on there and it was decoded. Maybe if I get the card I can find someone that has that information to decode it for me.

I will list a post for a 5 button box with buttons on parts wanted. I am going to change over to the torqueflite from the powerflite on my car.

Thank You
Tim Baker
Last edited by 53619PLF on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

It is cold and cloudy here, so not too motivated to go out to the garage :o
I MIGHT have a 5 button TF control but the buttons would be missing. :(
John Fowlie (Big M) will have the parts you need. He owns a great salvage yard in Calif.
I also need to send off for a card on my combo-car.
Roger
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

...attempting to post a photo here..]
PICT0187.JPG
ID number location on 361
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The number sisnt show up in the photo..well, it is in the red area just above where the generator bracket and fanbelt cross.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Oh, and the above is a photo of the ID number on a 1961 Chrysler Windsor engine. This is the engine in my car. But I have a '59 block in the garage too, and it also has teh ID number in this location, so the Parts Book information is (gasp) wrong?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:The number sisnt show up in the photo..well, it is in the red area just above where the generator bracket and fanbelt cross.
Actually, if you click on the photo, Roger -- you can see much more detail. Of course, you can't make out all the numbers stamped -- but you can see exactly where they are.

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

here (hopefully) is a pic of my '59 block-
PICT0192.JPG
53619PLF

Post by 53619PLF »

Thanks for taking the time Roger to take those pictures for me. I wouldn't be very motivated to get out in the garage either in this cold. Per your recommendation, I also sent an email to John the big M to see if he has a 5 button box with buttons and faceplate for a 59 Plymouth.

Thank You
Tim Baker