Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Question, is a yuengling the same as a flat blade?
Dick
Ah, I see the source of confusion.

No, a yuengling is a timer, used to precisely determine the length of time for an activity, say, the application of ospho and wiping it off. As Mark points out, sometimes more timers are required for jobs of longer duration.

yuengling.jpg

However, too many timers can result in imprecision - particularly, when reaching for the timer, and wondering which one to pick - the one on the left, or the one on the right:

two.jpg

For example, under such circumstances it might be possible to confuse striking one's thumb instead of the flat blade hammer.

Does that elucidate?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

The last time l used one/several/cases of those timers was in 1978. We called them Regal, Fallstaff, Jax and Dixie 45. When l moved to Miami in 1961 one of them, Regal followed me. Jax and Fallstaff went out of business and Dixie 45 is the only one left. I like to think l was the cause but who knows.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Yuengling timers!!!!

You guys crack me up!!!!!

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

big m wrote:Yuengling timers!!!!

You guys crack me up!!!!!
John, precision instruments, for precision workmanship! And don't forget: Anything worth doing, is worth doing twice.

OK, whose idea was this? Did Dr. Fifty-Nine put me up to this? I want to know.

IMG_1678.JPG

This is the dirtiest, grimiest job in the world. But oddly, so satisfying too! I don't have a lot of great pix to show, but I've removed all of the surface rust from under the trunk, back to the pumpkin, and osphoed. Now to seam-seal some spots, and encapsulate.

IMG_1674.JPG

Speaking of the pumpkin: It's still weeping 90 weight from the plug. I imagine when the viscosity lessens due to motion and heat, it weeps a lot more. I had ordered an adapter on Amazon, two day delivery - cancelled it when I was informed it would be the end of July. Ran around to Lowes, NAPA, AutoZone - nobody had a 5/16" adapter. I resorted to trimming a washer, to try and wedge in with my 1/4" adapter:

IMG_1668.JPG
IMG_1666.JPG

That sucka twisted around in the hole, no luck. Back to Amazon, purportedly the adapter (from a different company) will arrive Friday. But for the heck of it, started cleaning up the pumpkin. Will hand brush the area around the brake line, of course.

IMG_1676.JPG

Brake drums clean up real nice with wire brushing and ospho! Dr. Fifty-Nine, encapsulator for these, or Eastwood hi-temp paint?

IMG_1670.JPG

Back to work tomorrow (*sigh*) for two days - then, off until after Carlisle!

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I would use Ospho only on the drums.

Your picture is not dirty, mine is dirty after a few hours of polishing stainless steel trim for you know who.
20160223_135815 (1).jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

OK! When I said:
Faulkner wrote:All the time, effort, sweat and ibuprofen you put into this could not have been worth it for you.
...I left out the face paint. So, sue me! :P
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The 5/16" adapter arrived yesterday, today I snugged up the drain plug in the pumpkin - it was a perfect fit. Doncha know I cranked it at least 3/4 of a turn? I don't know who last serviced it, but they hardly made an effort to tighten it - have to make sure to top off the differential before I go anywhere.

IMG_1681.JPG

I cleaned up inside the rear wheel wells. The passenger side was solid, but oh no! The driver's side has some rust-through.

IMG_1683.JPG

I brushed it up, stuck a spray tube of Eastwood internal frame coating in there, and sprayed the hell out of it. I then osphoed the exposed area, and seam-sealed it:

IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG

I'll come back to paint these.

And paint I did today! I used Eastwood encapsulator on everything I had power brushed, up to the pumpkin, after I had seam-sealed areas around the trunk patch panels. I have to go back for the second coat, but I was really pleased with the result. This work is hard as hell, but I am beginning to see the payoff.

IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1692.JPG
IMG_1693.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - That looks great, don't buy any more seam sealer, I'm sending you some via matthew. All you need to get past the hard work is a vision of driving to Carlisle, Matt at your side in your new 59 SF and listening to all the accolades from all your gear head friends, There's nothing better.
Dick

Wait, forget that "Matt at your side"!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Today was a training session for cleaning the front suspension (at this rate, it's going to be a while before I get there) - cleaning up the rear suspension and differential. Caked with grease. Here's some before shots (although the rear shot of the pumpkin shows some wire brushing):

IMG_1694.JPG
IMG_1695.JPG
IMG_1696.JPG

...and after scraping, brushing, mineral spirits and ospho. Hey! There's a part number in the casting!

IMG_1700.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG

Oh yeah - not a hint of weeping from the plug on the pumpkin. Snugging it down was all it took.

And now, for something completely different: I'll be doing some work in and around the trunk soon. I'm going to wire brush the channel for the weather stripping, ospho and encapsulate it - along with the trunk - but between the channel and the body, there's some cracked putty. Is this original? Instead of breaking it all out - most of it is very tight - it might be worth caulking. What should I do here?

IMG_1697.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Looking good so far. That looks to be some kind of factory installed sealer, my concern would be water seepage especially from the back side if possible. I would dig out as much as possible, sand to bare metal, ospho it, and apply JB Weld befoe priming so it has a good grip on the metal then prime.for a good seal. Make sure the channel has at least 2 coats of encapsulator, believe me, you dont want to have to replace that channel. I had to replace a corner section on Charleen. Thank goodness John Fowlie provided a replacement section.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew left this morning at 8a, en route to Florida by way of Shelby, NC where he plans to pick up some parts. I am going to miss him...

While he was here, we managed to get one side of the manifold exhaust off - and not the side I thought! It turns out, the driver's side was still studded. I was so afraid to put the breaker bar to them for fear of snapping them and having to drill out, they looked so bad:

IMG_1443.JPG

But we went slow to minimize any heat expansion of the studs due to friction, and don't you know those crown nuts broke loose and turned off. Wire brushing and soaking in WD-40 really paid off.

IMG_2029.JPG

It was the passenger side - where the bolts are - that proved to be the problem. I just couldn't get a socket on the rear side, the manifold exhaust pipe is in the way; and we couldn't get purchase on the bolt head on the front side. Another reason to remove the fenders, in addition to rustproofing them, access to clean the front end, and detailing the engine compartment.

Dick, the valence and splash pan are on their way to you via Keij Express. Sorry I didn't find the time to come up with a box big enough for them, you'll have to resort to your enginuity.

Dan
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote:Dan - That looks great, don't buy any more seam sealer, I'm sending you some via matthew.
Received - Portawalls too. Many thanks, Dick!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Not to worry, got a box all ready to go.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

There's a stiff hot wind out of Palm Beach County that's been terrorizing Fildelfya. We tried to put a wall up at the state line, but there was no stopping it.

Not much going on in the Faulkner garage this weekend - not that it was any cooler, but I spent some time putting up a movable fence with a gate, since we're talking about getting a puppy. Coming up on six years since the Bailster's been gone, and I'm still really missing him.

IMG_2062.JPG

When Matthew was here, he helped me take the front seat out of Faulkner. Today I got the remaining door panels off before I succumbed to the heat - but pulled the carpet up to take a couple quick pix. Not surprising, based on what I see underneath, but except for some surface rust here and there the floorboards are in excellent shape.

IMG_2060.JPG
IMG_2059.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - You may want to reconsider and install a page fence metal gate. When l was a wee small boy we had a gate just like that. My dog ate it.
Dick.