DICK'S 59 RED & WHITE SPORT FURY RESTORATION.

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: DICK'S 59 RED & WHITE SPORT FURY RESTORATION.

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

My car did come with the Bellows type of booster and I have it apart for cleaning and also had the front cover media blasted but had not found a place to have it plated yet. I have a couple places in Denver, but it is low on the list to get in done.

Same with re-chroming the bumpers and having the steering wheel recast will just have to wait.

The solid booster will be fine for me for a while but not important to switch it out right now.

i am going to get a couple cans of that Dick Koch approved appliance paint. Looks sharp to me!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Steve - As far as I know 59 Ply's came with both the bellows and canister type boosters, I assume early production had the bellows and later the canister, my green 59 came from factory with canitster and I'm installing a canister on the red one.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Yes, the bellows and the Cannister type Power Brakes are interchangeable and both have the same 4 bolt pattern needed to be attached to the PB firewall plate. Good to Go on either type.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I'm typing this twice, tried to upload attachment and lost everthing. Going to save often this time. Here's some more pictures. Had to make Trans. cooling lines because I couldn't find any ready made. Believe me, its a bitch, took three days, I could not get the fittings to break loose at the tranny so cut the lines, BIG MISTAKE, when threading into fitting I cross threaded the fitting in the tranny. NAPA had one in stock (whew). When I started the engine the suckas leaked, damn, took them loose and could not see anything wrong, put them back, tightned as best I could and walla they don't leak, go figure. Took the carbs apart, cleaned and blew out and replaced all rubber and gaskets, painted same color as valve covers and installed on engine. I figures I would try to get the engine started with the primary carb in the rear and go from there. Put gas in tank, poured some in carb. and walla it fired first time and pulled gas to the fuel pump and kept running, I timed it, adjusted the Idle screws and it continued to run, purring like a kitten, gave the front carb a little throttle and the engine reved up. I moved the car outside so I could put the Desoto on the lift to get it ready for this weekend. I took it to get a tire replaced and on the way home it konked out. Would start but when you gave it gas it stalled, evertime. Had my son bring me a rebuilt carb (2 bbl.) and repaced it in the Sonic parking lot. Try that with one of the new Jelly Beans. GOT IT HOME TOOK THE PETRONICS OUT, PUT THE POINTS BACK IN, REPLACED THE COIL WITH A NAPA COIL (IC-7) AND IT STARTED FIRST TRY AND WOULD NOT STALL WHEN I GAVE IT GAS. A MOPAR MECHANIC FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME THE PETRONIC NEEDS TO SEE 12 VOLTS, ANYTHING LESS AND OVER TIME THEY FAIL. S---CANED THE PETRONIC AND PLAN ON PUTTING POINTS BACK IN MY OTHER CARS.

I am not happy with paint job so I will be doing that over. Not enouth coats, orange peel etc. I included pictures of my garage addition and the cramped quarters of my garage. I'm so used to it, it doesn't bother me anymore and I have to take far less steps to get anywhere. I'm going to save this now before I try and uploads.
Dick
100_2199.jpg
100_2201.jpg
100_2213.jpg
100_2216.jpg
100_2217.jpg
100_2220.jpg
100_2221.jpg
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, I hear you on the trans lines...Cross theading them is easy to do on them. Came close to doing it on my lines but stopped before I had garfed up the threads to far on the fittings. And was able to clean up the threads a bit and they went on with out a glitch, I hope to never take them off!

I do like your garage set up and it may be tight but it is all focused towards the car work at hand. I will be getting a 4 post lift in a month. Can't wait to get it to use my 14 foot ceiling space.

Keep the pictures coming, we all love to see them on your progress! The paint looks good from 2000 miles away but we know you are a perfectionist and will get it done right!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

OK, two weeks of fun is over, Ron and Marjo's visit was great, what a pleasure they are. Then Turkey Run in Daytona, 3 wonderful days, saw Ernies beautiful black SF, pictures to follow. These pictures are of the windshield gasket, molded, from Gary Goers, it was in a small box for 4 years and took a shape all its own and grew about 2-1/2" longer, had to cut a piece out to shorten. Finally got it to stay in place and then installed the windshield I've had sitting for 3 yrs. The windshield started this whole thing so this is a milepost for me. This windshield I purchased directly from Pilkington, it was manufactured in 2001 in Mexico. They told me it would not have the bubble of the original but I beg to differ. It has as much bubble as my Green SF. It's a Libbey Owens Ford DW00453 (a division of the Pilkington Group). Next I installed the inner fenders so I could install the power brakes and be able to move the car around more safely, wonder of wonders everything worked OK.
Included are some pictures of Ron and the blond bombshell Marjo and some old fat guy and his beautiful brunette Yvonne. Am working on the fenders, valance and splashshield now and will paint them and the body at the same time. Then the doors, deck and hood. Gettin close guys.
Dick.
100_2304.jpg
100_2309.jpg
100_2313.jpg
100_2314.jpg
100_2315.jpg
100_2317.jpg
100_2320.jpg
100_2321.jpg
100_2322.jpg
100_2325.jpg
100_2328.jpg
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Dick, Sure glad you got those sticks out of the windshield area.....The windshield glass looks great!

Looks superb! You are doing a wonderful job on it. Put me down for the first edition of "How to restore a 59 Plymouth in your own backyard" And I want an autographed version too!

Keep on plugging along. I will start wrapping up that Diet Pepsi right now and send it to you.

John Q.
Last edited by Denver 59 Fin Convert on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Sticks, I'll have you know those are special Oak, cut to length windshield gasket holders until the glass man gets here tools. As for plugging along and a restoration guide, the secret is keep doing it over and over again until you get it right. The other secret is don't tell how many times it takes. As you can tell I don't drink Diet Pepsi because I'm on a diet but because its not so sweet.
Dick.
big m

Post by big m »

Great photos, Dick!

Your car is coming allong nicely, too!!

---John
In rust we trust!
Steve Storey

Post by Steve Storey »

WOW!! I love the way everything you do glistens. Looks great Dick!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

If you catch Dick at the right angle to the sun...He also glistens! :P

Of course I would too if I owned 3 fabulous Forward Look Cars!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

The glisten disappeared around 30 years ago. That shine you see now is called sweat.
Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Wow, it's hard to believe my last post here was Dec. 1, 2010. Been busy I guess what with Christmas, New years, Winter "ahem" car shows, Belvie Convertible, etc, etc. So, to Continue with mo pitchuhs. None of it's easy, but I got to tell you, the doors will drive you crazy. Apparently the car took a pretty good lick on the passanger side (sideswipe) starting mid door back to wheel well. Lots of Bondo. After I removed the door gasket there was a lot of rust holes underneath it. I filled and smoothed the area with Versa Chem Steel Weld Epoxy (JB Weld). It laid out beautifully and sealed the area very well. That's why it pays to go all the way to bare metal. Osphoed everything, then appled first coat primer (Eastwood Encapsulator) will block then apply Epoxy Primer, then plastic bodyfiller, block, plastic bodyfiller, 2K primer, block, plastic bodyfiller, 2K primer, Whew!! I'm exhausted. John Q. I was rooting in my stash and found the proper glass runs for the window and door gaskets that I had ordered from Andy Birnbaum way back. After all the sanding and blocking I will fit the doors and fenders by drilling reference holes then take them off and apply paint. Anyway take a look.
Dick.
100_2399.jpg
100_2400.jpg
100_2401.jpg
100_2402.jpg
VALANCE - WHAT A MESS.
100_2503.jpg
INSULATED WITH CARPET
100_2504.jpg
100_2506.jpg
100_2507.jpg
FOUND ON EBAY, HAD TO DRILL FOR SPORT DECK AND STAINLESS MOULDING.
100_2509.jpg
100_2557.jpg
100_2559.jpg
100_2560.jpg
100_2561.jpg
100_2628.jpg
100_2635.jpg
100_2641.jpg
100_2643.jpg
100_2645.jpg
100_2646.jpg
STEEL WELD
100_2647.jpg
100_2649.jpg
100_2650.jpg
PAINT REMOVER, LESS DUST TO DEAL WITH.
100_2651.jpg
100_2657.jpg
SEE THE CREASE.
100_2658.jpg
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dick,

Great pictures - you sure are a busy person with lots of irons in the fire. I wonder how you prioritize what job gets done next. On top of that you have to make time for car shows! I enjoy the pictures - keep sending them our way.

Thanks,
Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Very Nice Dick, I like the way you did the under hood insulation cut out and around the hood support bow (mine does not have this Bow) very professional!

You are good craftsman on details! :D

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)