Kid looking for a long lost SportsFury

Your banter here!
ripsnorter

Kid looking for a long lost SportsFury

Post by ripsnorter »

Hello folks, nice to be here.

A short little story:

I'd never even heard of or cared about Plymouth Fury's (or is Furies proper in this case?) until I was about 16 and went to a small car show in Portland, Oregon. As I was wandering around the show with my father I passed a '40s Indian, (I've always loved those bikes) turned my head and saw this beautiful yellow car in front of me. I didn't even like the color yellow on cars, but I loved this.

It was a yellow '59 Plymouth SportsFury. Actually it could have been just a Fury coupe for all I know, but it was gorgeous. Swivel bucket seats, push button transmission, clear steering wheel, tilt away steering column, 413 with cross-ram induction, and most amazing of all, it had a brushed stainless steel roof! I'd never heard of such a thing and to this day have never found out if it was stock, or if Plymouth ever made such a thing. The rest of the car was so beautifully restored though that I can't imagine the roof not being stock as well.

The car was for sale, but at 16 I of course didn't have the money to buy it. I did write down the name and phone number on the card though and took it home with me.

That was 14 years ago. I just turned 30 a month ago, and amazingly enough I ran across that piece of paper the other day. It has a phone number on it, but the number has been disconnected.

The name on the card was: Tom Fox, Aloha Oregon. (plus a phone number that I can put up or PM) I did a quick google search and nothing until I came across a google hit for Tom Fox's roadtrip in 08. http://59sportfury.net/59forum/viewtopi ... =11&t=1120

Is there a chance it's the same guy? The car in his pictures is not the same car though, unless he's changed the color and roof.

I'd love some help tracking down that car, or at least some help finding out if that roof was factory! It's been a question my father and I have asked everyone for the past 14 years! :)
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Kid looking for a long lost SportsFury

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Tom Fox is a member of the 59 Forum, Presently resides in Welches, Oregon. He should see your posting. Take a look at the Showcase for pictures of his SF and Belvedere.

The Stainless Steel roof sounds more like an Imperial then a Sport Fury, I don't believe Tom's Fury ever had a Stainless Steel Roof on it or if it would fit the SF.But stranger things have happened....

John Q
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
tomf

Post by tomf »

HI Trevor,

Several things refer to me, but not everything. I did live in Aloha OR for thirty years and the phone number you have was mine. My Sport Fury hardtop does have a 413 crossram, but it is Palamino beige, no tilt away steering column and no brushed stainless steel roof. I have never had the car for sale. You can see my Sport Fury on this website under 'showcase'. The car in Roadtrip 08 is my Belvedere convertible.

I have never seen the car you describe. There is a yellow 57 Plymouth with a 440 crossram in Oregon, and the ram tubes are polished, but not the roof. I believe the roof is white.

Tom Fox
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Thanks for the reply Tom. It's funny to find you after this long.

I'm trying to find the "showcase" but can't. I see the "show your cars" section, but no threads by you in it.

In any case, the only thing I can think of that is that perhaps I saw that Stainless Sports Fury, then later on in life came across yours and wrote down your phone number and info to ask you about it.

I had always thought yours was the the information for that car, but apparently not :(

On a side note, because of that car, my father ended up buying a '59 Sports Fury a few years ago. He had kind of earmarked it for me at one time, but we've never sat down and figured out what to do about it.

It's in pieces, but the body was taken off the frame, the frame refinished, all the metalwork done to the body, all the chrome re-done, (although the bumpers ended up rusting in the moist air from a bad chrome job that he's been fighting with them about) all the interior was done and set in warm storage, and I think he even has a 413 for it. Not sure if the 413 was rebuilt, but the thing mainly just needs put back together and painted.

I'd really like to find that stainless car though, or at least find out if there was ever an option for a brushed stainless roof.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Trevor,

The Forum is just one part of the website. Go here to see the Showcase:

http://www.59sportfury.net/

Check out Ephemera too, especially the movie section. The rest of the website, um, needs work... (*sigh*).

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I can assure you that stainless roofs were never offered, either stock or as an option, on any 1959 Plymouth. If you saw a SF with 413 and cross rams, and tilt wheel, it was DEFINTELY a custom job! None of those items were available off the assembly line. (Tilt-wheel wasn't invented in 1959). Tom's 413 Cross Ram Plymouth is NOT a factory issue! Oregon is the home of many very talented custom car builders. Maybe you can make your car into a show car too!
I've been to every Spring Portland Swap for the past 15 years or so, and didn't see the car you saw, but it's a big place, with LOTS of cars to admire.
ripsnorter

Post by ripsnorter »

Thanks everyone for the help and replies.

I guess that car is lost to the ether for now, but it sure looked cool with that stainless roof. At least now I know it was definately a custom job. A very clean one though. I remember he had a price tag on it of $13,000, and I was wracking my brain trying to figure out what I could do to buy that car. At 16 though there weren't a lot of options.

I found the showcase, (thanks!) and some very pretty cars in there. Right now the Sports Fury of ours is on the backburner, we've got a few too many projects already.

Mine: '63 Ford F250, '66 F100, '41 Chevy Coupe (plus 8 other projects I'm just going to get rid of) and a '47 Plymouth Tudor Sedan street rod.

My father's next door: '62 Impala SS, '62 Impala Conv, numerous '60s Pontiacs, Chevys, convertibles, Bonnevilles, Impalas etc etc. Half a dozen '58 Impalas, including 2 convertibles (those are his real babies) '67 big block El Camino, various Lincoln Mark IIIs, '57 Ranchero, various other El Caminos the list goes on.

He has far more projects than he'll ever finish in his life. I'm trying hard not to turn into a project collector like he has!
tomf

Post by tomf »

I have never seen the car you describe. There is a yellow 57 Plymouth with a 440 crossram in Oregon, and the ram tubes are polished, but not the roof. I believe the roof is white.

I saw this car in July at a Mopar show in Salem.
P1010138.JPG