A Belated Merry Christmas

Your banter here!
Faulkner

A Belated Merry Christmas

Post by Faulkner »

Well, the bathroom is nearly done (see the before and after pix), and I managed to not cut off my ring finger. So, Saturday Mary Kay and I will be getting hitched, in the house, with my two year old granddaughter Morah as the flower girl. Just our kids, a catered dinner, and a lot of dancing and fooling around. Life is good!

Sorry for the belated post. I hope all of you had a very Merry Christmas, and are enjoying your time with family and friends. All the best!

Dan
IMG_0278.JPG
IMG_0306.JPG
xmas.png
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Re: A Belated Merry Christmas

Post by rogerh »

At first glance, it looks to me like a well-planned and executed remodel! Hope this applies to the ceremonies as well!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:At first glance, it looks to me like a well-planned and executed remodel! Hope this applies to the ceremonies as well!
Thanks, Roger! The wedding was a "remodel", but not the bathroom! There never was a bathroom there before. My good fortune, that the builders in 1920 left a soil pipe flange under the floor for some future installation.

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

piqued my curiosity..what was this room previously? Closet with window?
Was the job inspected? I wouldn't have thought a close 90 elbow on shower line was allowable...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Faulkner wrote:
rogerh wrote:At first glance, it looks to me like a well-planned and executed remodel! Hope this applies to the ceremonies as well!
Thanks, Roger! The wedding was a "remodel", but not the bathroom! There never was a bathroom there before. My good fortune, that the builders in 1920 left a soil pipe flange under the floor for some future installation.

Dan

Dan, Now how did you find this hidden soil flange? Were you going to put one in and discovered it by accident? Inquiring minds wants to Know!!! And it all looks like plastic plumbing anyhow... :?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The cast iron "branch" fitting can be seen in the far rear corner...the white PVC is coupled to it. I want to know what this room was before it became a bathroom.
As for finding the drain, he may have planned the bathroom, knowing the cast-iron was nearby, cut open the floor preparing to direct the drain downstairs for connecting, when they uncovered just what they needed..serendipidous (sp), for sure!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yes, it was a little room between two bedrooms on the third floor, above a bathroom on the second floor. The previous owners used it as a closet, and when Emily lived here for a year, she used it as her art studio.

I expected to find the stack in the wall, and that we would have to cut into it and use a saddle - but, the builders made an accommodation for some future build. Serendipitous, for sure!

My plumber brother cut a cast iron stub, packed it into the flange with oakum, melted lead and poured it into the gap with a special form. Then we made up to the stub with a neoprene coupling, and it was PVC from there on out (except for the occasional copper fitting for valve stability).

Now, to spend this much time working on Faulkner!

Dan
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Faullkner can wait till tomorrow for the New Year to begin and to have you spend time with him...after your Honeymoon that is! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/