Off to the transmission shop...

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Off to the transmission shop...

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner got picked up today to go to the tranny shop. I guess I get the bad news tomorrow. "She from whom receipts must be hidden" will prolly not like the news...

Dan
IMG_2649.JPG
IMG_2650.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Nighthawk

Licence plates

Post by Nighthawk »

Just noticed Dan, theres no plates on your car! How come?

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Is Philadelphia that troubled that you have to hide your plates?
I feel optimistc that the problems are not big ones..after all , you need to build that garage..
Faulkner

Re: Licence plates

Post by Faulkner »

Nighthawk wrote:Just noticed Dan, theres no plates on your car! How come?
Well, that's another story!

I recently moved from NJ to PA. In PA, to get a car registered as an antique, you need to fill out MV-11, provide a picture of each side of the car, a VIN rubbing, etc., etc., sacrifice your first born child, and swear a fanatical devotion to the pope. Then, maybe, you'll get antique plates.

I went to "registration place #1" -- they told me, they couldn't process the paperwork, I had to go to their location miles away.

I went to the state's website -- they referred me to another local place that could manage it. I went there, they told me I had to first get the car registered as a regular car (requiring a full blown inspection, including emissions), then I could apply for antique tags. I knew that was bulldorkies, so I went to yet another place -- AAA -- in the center of town.

There I presented my pictures, rubbings, first born son, etc. -- after three attempts to fill out the paperwork, they informed me I needed a check or money order to pay the state. I didn't have my checkbook with me; I looked across the way, and saw a bank! I asked for the amount of the payment, ran across and got a money order cut. Came back, and as the clerk was finishing the paperwork, she did a double take on the photos.

"The state won't accept these."

"Why?"

"They have Jersey tags on the car."

"Of course! The car is registered in Jersey! I want to transfer them to PA."

"They will reject them. Won't don't you take pictures without the tags on them?"

"Because the transmission is shot, I can't get it back in the garage if I push it out to take pix after the tags are removed."

"Not my problem."

And there you have it -- I had to get the transmission fixed, to get the car registered. Go figure.

Dan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Did you have to do all this in English or Spanish? Our government at work.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Wow,unbelievable,but then again whos surprised??

Bob
big m

Post by big m »

Truly bizarre, Dan, but then again, it's a government entity. ---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi John - Did you get a chance to ship that molding to me.
Thanks,
Dick Koch
Ron Keij

Re: Off to the transmission shop...

Post by Ron Keij »

Faulkner wrote:Faulkner got picked up today to go to the tranny shop. I guess I get the bad news tomorrow. "She from whom receipts must be hidden" will prolly not like the news...

Dan
Hi Dan, how bad is the news? Should I keep another trip to Carlisle in my schedule for next year?

But first let's agree on the fact that we don't have to take another picture like this one!

Ron
IMG_2601.JPG
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ron Keij wrote:Hi Dan, how bad is the news? Should I keep another trip to Carlisle in my schedule for next year?
No news yet, Ron -- although I'm told they're breaking down the transmission right now. I expect a diagnosis tomorrow.

But it's "Carlisle or Bust" next year! Not too early to start talking about it... Perhaps we can convince Tom Fox and Roger to drive out from the left coast! :wink:

Dan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

definitely, if I win the lottery!
big m

Post by big m »

Dick Koch wrote:Hi John - Did you get a chance to ship that molding to me.
Thanks,
Dick Koch
Hi Dick, you should be receiving your Sport Fury molding at any time, as it was sent out on the 7th. Please let me know when it arrives. ---John
In rust we trust!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I'm not worried, I'm sure it will get here OK. My wife and I are going on the trip of a lifetime. Leaving Sat. morn, 6,800 miles, 33 days. From Palm Beach gardens, Fl. over the smokies, thru Chicago, to Mr. Rushmore then to western Montana (sister in law). Yellow Stone, Grand Teton Mtns., Salt lake city, Grand Canyon, Alburqurque (spelling) hot air balloon festival, Sante Fe, NM. (daughter). Houston, New Orleans (Family) then back to Florida. WPHEW! I'm exhausted. Wish I was taking the 59 SF but wife won't have it.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote:No news yet, Ron -- although I'm told they're breaking down the transmission right now. I expect a diagnosis tomorrow.
Dan
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Faulkner's transmission tore itself to shreds. The torque converter and front pump I had replaced about 3 years ago? It bought the farm; it's a miracle we made it home from Carlisle, guys.

The guy had a heckuva time locating parts, Fatsco has neither part. He did track down a pump in Washington state! He's totalling the cost; he's tell me it's coming very close to $2K...

The good news is, the rear body of the trans is still in good shape, although the rubber seals are like plastic, he says. (That explains why it took ten seconds to move in first or reverse from a cold start.) He's going to replace all the seals.

(*sigh*)... Now, to explain all this to Marie...

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Dan,
That is totally harsh news. I have a hard time believing it..the former owners treated the car well!
What company in WA state had the needed parts?
Anyway, I want to tell you I have a torqueflite sitting in my driveway, I would gladly pay someone to take it away. I cannot vouch for its condition. It came out of a car I parted out. I did have one other tranny..the guy who took it never complained about it...so I assume it worked for him. That one may have come out of a running parts car, I am thinking it was the Suburban I sold to Ken Josephson of Las Vegas.
Of course if you spend 2K, you will have a "new" and more importantly guaranteed unit. If only we knew someone driving from Seattle to Philadelphia..he could bring this one to you..
as Carole King sang..."so far away..."