"A 59 Sport Fury I had 1959-1963"

Your banter here!
Faulkner

"A 59 Sport Fury I had 1959-1963"

Post by Faulkner »

Just tonight I received this email from Willie Carr:
Willie Carr wrote:Hi Dan: We spoke via email some time ago. For your interest I'm including a picture of the one that got away. It was my first new car. And what a car it was! Of course it had the 361 with torqueflite and no power options so that it would be faster. I would love to have another.

I'm still trying to get up to see Ed Ober and his "Black Beauty". I really enjoy the Fury website.

Bill Carrow
Chesapeake City, MD
Check out the trim on the rear quarters! Must have been custom --

No?

Dan
photo_2006.jpg
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Dan,

I will take a wild guess and say that in true 50's Custom ("Kustom") fashion - what you see is a pair of Cruiser skirts. They start out in front of the wheelwell and extend back to the bumper. They really are quite different from regular skirts we are used to seeing around! The idea was to give the car a lower appearance.

I must say I like custom cars but never really cared for cruiser skirts! To each his own - that is why I have Lake pipes and 16" Centerline wheels -- go figure!

HHHHMMMM he is interested in another Plymouth and lives in MD???? Could there be a Custom/Modified two door post sedan in his future????

Curt in Ellicott City MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Yep,those are cruiser skirts all right,i know a guy that has them on a early 50s Merc...........

Bob
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey Curt and all,
What can we all do to entice the man to acquire another fine '59?
Faulkner

Update from Bill Carr

Post by Faulkner »

Bill Carr wrote:I bought my 59 with a thought to entering it in the local drag racing circuit. Within two weeks after I bought the car (and not putting it on the drag strip yet) I met the girl of my dreams who later became my bride. And that was the end of my racing dreams. We drove my beauty (wife) in my beauty (SF) on our honeymoon to Miami, Florida. About two years later I was making a U shaped sheetmetal piece that would allow the baby seat to straddle the front swivel seats. This would never meet today's standards of course; but then, in a car without seat belts who knew?
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Hello All,

I also like these cruiser skirts. I met a guy in Sweden more than 10 years ago he also had these skirts. Part or it was chromed and they looked awesome.

Stefan
Henric1.JPG
Henric2.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I have this update from Bill:
Bill Carrow wrote:Hi Dan:

Thank you for posting my additional information. My fender skirts created some questions and comments. I tried to answer directly but I guess only members can reply. The following might help if you care to post it.

First, the fender skirts were not custom. Can't remember where I bought them but they were "out of the box" and installed by me. They were held in place by two mounting plates, fore and aft, and one friction clamp in the center. In my era and geographical area they were known as "flared" fender skirts. There were two other styles known as "teardrop" and "bubble" fender skirts.

And last, and in answer to one of the members, I would love to have another 59 SF. But, at an age where a "life time warranty" is of little concern to me, time and money are. In other words I could not dedicate the time to do a "frame-off" restoration and I doubt that I could afford to buy the kind of SF I would like to have. Having said all that, I would like to hear of any 59 SFs for sale. I check eBay Motors frequently as well as attending shows in my area. With regard to my area, I have never seen a 59 SF in or out of a show.

To all, I enjoy reading your comments. You seem to be a great group of SF enthuasists.

Bill Carrow (sending as Willie Carr)