personal computer problems

Your banter here!
rogerh

personal computer problems

Post by rogerh »

Hi, My computer is very old..origianlly configured to run Windows 95, then 98, now XPHome..Ive been told I was pushing it beyond its limits..it was working okay until I downloaded an upgrade to my Firewall/antivirus. Now the Outlook Express blue screen comes up, but that is all. I cannot receive Email. I have tried re-booting, deleting the antivrus...there is enough free space to do something, but it just sits there. It froze up while I was viewing 400 photos my brother posted on Kodak Share. ANy ideas/suggestions? Is it time to get a new computer?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It's hard to say without looking, Roger -- most computer insufficiencies relate to memory, disk space or CPU speed. It seems like you're OK for disk, but I bet memory and CPU are, um, underwhelming. These can be improved, of course, but you can spend as much improving an old computer as buying a new one these days (or, a refurbished one). There's the hassle, though, of installing all of your programs and getting it configured the way your old one is.

Maybe we should send Ron to Seattle :lol:

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Ron says he is visiting here next summer..but of course I cannot wait that long for a new computer
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

suddnly this am my Outlook Espress works again.
I think the problem lies with my ANtivirus Firewall company.
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

Good you got it working again! Maybe you should try another anti virus and firewall. There are lots of good alternatives that are free like http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus- ... ag=lst-0-2 for the anti virus part and http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/3000- ... ag=lst-0-3 for the firewall. But changing to other protection programs can be risky, it is hard to remove all components of the old programs. The best way to do it is with a clean install.

Ron
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am not very clever with the computer trouble-shoot, but I am acting on the premise that I have TWO competing Antivirus programs running.
I am attempting to delete one or the other. Sorry to hear they are hard to completely delete! (Ron, I just now Monday night was able to read this post from you). Who knows what else I may be missing...
roger