Rusty, the '59 SF convertible

Your banter here!
big m

Rusty, the '59 SF convertible

Post by big m »

Well, I finally got the convertible dropped off that I bought last summer. Believe it or not, it is in slightly better shape than I expected. This will be used in conjunction with a good solid hardtop body that I have already. ---John
'59 SF convertible 004.jpg
'59 SF convertible 003.jpg
'59 SF convertible 002.jpg
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Uh, um, thanks, yeah, I guess, for those, um , photos...did you use a Funhouse Mirror to photograph the car? Seriously, I cannot make out anything...was that your intent? I am Truly interested in your project.
big m

Post by big m »

Actually, Roger, the poor photos were not done purposely. We were having wind gusts of over 40 MPH that evening, so there was a lot of dust and some mist blowing through the barn. And yes, the right front of the car was crashed, bending the grill in that strange way. The rear end and front hubs are locked solid, so in order to get the car under cover, I set it onto a '57 Chrysler chassis I had laying around. I would have brought it in with the forklift, but I just poured the cement, and didn't want to trust a 40,000 LB lift on the fairly fresh floor. One bonus was that my buddy I got the car from must have stripped out several Furys from '56-'59, as there is a slew of moldings within the car. I will keep you posted of any progress, or as time permits. ---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

big m wrote:... I would have brought it in with the forklift, but I just poured the cement...
Hey John! What are you doing this weekend? :P

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

You are a resourceful man, John.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

John,

I can actually see that this car has potential. You mentioned that it did not look all that bad - what does that really mean? For example are all the top bows and header present - without rot?

How are the floors and trunk area?

It sure appears the front right took a good whack!
Will you be using another frame from your supply barn???

Sorry for all the questions - I am just being nosey.

It must feel great to have a convertible in your fleet!

Congratulations,
Curt in Maryland
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
big m

Post by big m »

Thanks, Curt. Being that this will be used as a donor to a 2-door hardtop body, the most important thing was that the rear deck area [in front of the trunklid] was solid. The floors and trunk were totally gone, but it was no concern since they are good in the hardtop. The top side rails were still good, but the cross bows are shot as is the header bow. I have about enough of it left for a pattern to fabricate a new one, and I have other convertible bows that can be modified to match the missing ones. When the time comes, I will probably need some measurements of original bows in order to get the correct width. One question I have is I noticed the VIN plate is affixed to the firewall cowl. Was this just done on cars from an eastern assembly plant? On all the cars I have here, the tag is within the driver's door jamb. ---John
In rust we trust!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

John,

Although I just have a 2-door post Savoy, my VIN plate is on the firewall. There are actually two holes drilled in the door jamb but they appear to have never been used.

Sounds like you have about a year's worth of work to graft these two cars together into one beautiful convertible.

Curt in MD
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
big m

Post by big m »

Yes, Curt, it will definitely be an undertaking. My biggest difficulty is finding the time, as my business consumes most of the extra time I have. In order to get my '57 Fury back on the road, I had to work nights on it, usually from 7 P.M. to midnight. Heck though, once they're done, it's fun time! ---John
In rust we trust!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Terrible to admit this: I don't recall the VIN # of my cvt when it lived as a Belvedere ( I have the tag somewhere) but I do remember there was no doorjamb tag, only a firewall tag. We wondered (at the time) whether this was a CVT-only thing.
Now that Curt says his Savoy (not a cvt) has tag on firewall only, this clouds the issue..
roger
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Location of the VIN plate seems to be more of an assembly plant issue than by car model. We've discussed that before in the forum, with Evansville producing most (I used to think it wass all) of the convertibles, but then surprise, one or two Sport Fury convertibles showed up here with Newark Delaware VIN's, adding to the mystery. Wonder if the Newark-built convertibles were ever authenticated by Chyrsler Historical.

Roger, as you said (and have first hand knowledge of) VIN plates can be changed - that's also true of the white SF in Arizona that Ed Eckerson noted a few weeks ago. I am certain that Evansville put the VIN on the firewall and Los Angeles put the VIN on the door jamb; can anyone clarify where the other plants placed that plate? Thanks.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hi John,
I just gleaned from another website that your friend found "Rusty" in a NYState salvage yard. Interesting! Prety cool that you have car buddies, nation-wide!
big m

Post by big m »

My friend that actually found the car travels nationwide, scavenging old wrecking yards for Ford parts that he sells. He was nice enough to strip out a '56 Fury and a couple of other '59's and include those moldings as well. He also bought two Merc convertibles in similar condition at the same place, a '49 and a '51. He definitely comes across some unusual stuff. ---John
In rust we trust!