RADIO SPEAKER - REPLACEMENT

There's a vendor for everything! Check out some of the popular ones here
Dick Koch

RADIO SPEAKER - REPLACEMENT

Post by Dick Koch »

If you need a new front radio speaker I found an exact replacement at Pep Boys. An exact fit, the mounting holes even line up.
Sonic #CS07507 Dual Cone Replacement Speaker 5" x 7", 54 watt max power. Cost $16.99.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Re: RADIO SPEAKER - REPLACEMENT

Post by rogerh »

I consider this positive progress! Back in the day. I spent untold dollars having my dash speaker professionally re-coned. And the whole business of "restoring" the vintage radio proved silly, really, as the re-built radio produced only 10 watts or something, meaning the radio was inaudible at any speed other than PARK.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote: Back in the day... the radio was inaudible at any speed other than PARK.
Back in the day, Roger, an audible radio in PARK was all that was required. And I know, you know, what I am talking about :twisted:

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

oh geez Dan, you are not that much older than me.!But if you are imagining yourself back in 1959, as a teenager buying his first car, I suppose the radio and its music was the main ingredient for what-you-are-hinting-at!
When I researched and contacted the prior owners of my convertible, the majority of replies backed up your suggestive remark.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - To Jog our memories, think of PARK as in: Lovers Lane, On the side of the road, drive in Movie, secluded spot, girlfriends driveway, et. al.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

He gets it, Dick. To quote from Roger's history of the convertible:
Roger wrote:Another owner admitted the car was used primarily for 'parking' if you know what I mean. In fact, that particular woman married her mechanic, sold the car, then bought the car back, ( for more fun?)! The car spent most of its life around Fort Dodge.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

i am blushing :oops: :oops: :oops:
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hea's sum pitchuhs of dat speeker I ben talkin bout and John Q. is dat yo ca in the las row at the drive in pitchur show???
Dick.
100_2137.JPG
100_2139.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am all for anything that promotes POSITIVE posts...so I am liking this thread...
just to explain...I was so focused on restoring the (hybrid) SF to factory specs, I went with ForwardLook Frank's offer to restore my tube radio to factory specs, with some added features, such as a dangling plug would allow other input. Frank did a fine job on the radio, but as I mentioned previously the output wattage was still as it was in 1959...around 10, as I recall. It was a waste of money, in my opinion to rebuild the radio to those specs.
Now I am confused, because I know I paid Radio Roy to restore a different radio. Radio Roy put modern components into an old radio chassis, adding the FM band and a jack to accept iPod input. I will be honest and say I don't recall which radio I ended up installing in the car,...regardless, the factory amp had very low power.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger - When I first got Charleen I sent the radio to Frank to rebuild and add a feature that would allow connecting a AM/FM/CD player that would play through the factory speaker. When I restored Charleen I took the speaker out and it was shot. I could not find a direct replacement so I had it reconed locally and it plays very well now except the radio itself needs some attention.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yes, that's my story almost to the letter. I had a portable CD player either Velcro'ed to the transmission hump or stuck in the glove box.
Either way, it was soon "old technology" as the iPods and MP3 players replaced all those CD's. I never really used it.
Then I went with Radio Roy and got an FM tuner built into the radio...the ON-OFF switch could now control the selection of AM or FM. It also had an RCA jack for plugging in iPods, etc. In a convertible, I could not figure out where to locate four speakers! I never got that system "right" either. As I say, in a convertible, the road noise drowns out all music, as well as conversation with your passengers.