Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

OK - I scored a pair of beat-up antennas at Carlisle in 2016, and handed them to Vans who thought about reproducing them. They abandoned that idea, and returned them to me; part of the deal, though, was a discount on a gas tank. Good for me!

Like the bases (which have since been rechromed), the masts have seen better days:

IMG_6540.jpg

They've been crimped and bent, and even the extension stops don't work (although I could probably fix those).

Dick also alerted me to a pair of Chebby antennas on eBay which I snatched up before my Carlisle score, thinking I could adapt them; and it turns out, the masts are the same size as Plymouths - 5/16" in diameter:

IMG_6541.jpg

However, the Plymouth antennas extend to 63" or thereabouts; the Chebbies, only 43". They would do in a pinch. But surely, someone makes antenna masts of longer length that could be adapted. No?

Maybe - if push comes to shove - I could combine components from the MoPar antennas with the GM repros. Heresy!

You know, they say length matters... I'm forgetting where I heard that :oops: :oops:
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Back to the Hinge from Hell. This time, in order to give myself some room, I removed the windshield washer pump. I wondered why they chose to put a wiring block in there; and then when I took it apart, I realized that in addition to actuating the pump, the foot pedal actuates a switch! Because mine was never functional, I never knew - but when you push the pedal, it must activate the windshield washers momentarily. Is that correct? I don't see this in the '59 Gallery wiring diagrams for the '57/'58 service manual, or the '59 supplement. Am I just not looking in the right place?

IMG_6548.jpg

Well, locking the nuts together did the trick. At first I didn't use a lock washer, and both nuts spun off the stud! But using a lock washer got results.

IMG_6549.jpg
IMG_6550.jpg

And doncha know, the washer was real snug, but the it spun right off the stud! It must have been cocked ever so slightly when I tried to spin off in place, and that made all the difference.

Both hinges are out - time to start detailing the engine compartment. I also stopped by Classic Coachwork a couple blocks away, they are going to come by next week and take the hood for repairs. I met Scott - he's old school body work (uses lead where he can), and a fellow classic car owner - I like him a lot, even if he's into Bowties. We'll see how this turns out.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

It was Christmas in Upper Darby today! My package from Santa Koch arrived...

IMG_6572.jpg

Wow, look at that Sport Deck trim shine. And Dick cut the antenna base protrusions off so I can mount 'em by just drilling holes for the studs. I would have mangled them, but they came out perfect. And he also installed new studs with JB Weld. (I hear you Dick - snug, but not tight.) All at 1959 prices! :wink:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Glad you like, to keep that shine use McGuire or Mothers alum and mag Polish.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I spent a bit of time in the garage today - sanding, wiping down, osphoing the inner fenders and firewall; removed the hood bumpers and water pump. Tomorrow I'll mask and paint the same (Rust-Oleum gloss), and then prep the block for a repaint. Including the valve covers! Gonna paint red, like Matthew painted Ron's.

IMG_6575.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, this pic is from your convertible.
Dick Koch wrote:I made the staples out of some galvanized mechanics wire l had for many years.
Do you know where I can get me some of that - does Ace carry it? Also, I have this same square hole in my passenger side inner fender - what's it for?

100_2308.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

My ACE doesn't have the rubber sheeting but they do have square nuts encased in a cage that snaps into a square hole i.e. a cage nut. I will take a look tomorrow to see what the hole is for. Google rubber sheeting??
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

My ACE has mechanics wire but not galvanized, try auto parts store. Duh!
Dick
tomf

Post by tomf »

That square hole is to mount a clamp to hold a heater hose. tomf
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:30 pm My ACE doesn't have the rubber sheeting... Google rubber sheeting??
I think your CRS is acting up again, Dick - we had this conversation about it, Goers had 'em and I bought a pair. Just looking for the galvanized mechanic's wire.

...but it looks like mine is acting up too! :oops: I say in the post that Gary will include the staples. Now to search through my Goers stash, to see if that really happened. :?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Man, am I glad I saved all that Amazon brown paper packing from Christmas!

I spent a couple hours preparing (and perspiring), and under an hour painting. D*mn, I had to use a plastic knife to take out two runs; I'll let it harden up a couple days and come back to these spots.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results. Next, to detail the engine, and use Eastwood black plastic tape to wrap the harnesses. I don't know that I'll get to it before the Dutch Invasion for Carlisle, however - we're off to the mountains next weekend, and the following weekend my grandkids are in town (as are the Keijs!).
IMG_6586.JPG
IMG_6587.JPG
IMG_6588.JPG
IMG_6590.JPG
IMG_6591.JPG
The battery shelf was badly corroded by rust, but there's plenty of metal left, along with a good dose of seam sealer. It ain't pretty, but it ain't visible under the battery tray, either
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Nice job Dan, for masking you may want to consider painters plastic drop cloth or old bed sheets, a lot easier to handle and control.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Time to go through my Goers stash for my engine compartment overhaul. These are parts I've collected over the years...

IMG_6594.jpg
That's a heater core cover gasket in the upper left
IMG_6593.jpg
Can't forget the engine ground strap! I have another I'll strap to the gas tank. I've got a third, if anybody needs one

Oh Noes! I only bought one "41", the flap that covers the cowl drain openings - I didn't know at the time there were two. Well, I have one of the originals - perhaps I can clean it up and using some Meguiars rubber treatment, and soften it up to where it's respectable.

I found the staples that Gary sent with the wheel well inner fender flaps - they're 3/8", and I don't think they're galvanized:

IMG_6592.jpg

So I guess I'm on the hunt for some galvanized mechanics wire.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Next I went through the garage stash; every time I bagged something and labeled it, I tossed it in a drawer. Now, the reckoning... Today I went through the drawer, and pulled out everything related to the engine compartment, from radiator to firewall. Oh, and I saved some of the wheel well staples! They're 1/2", but I don't have a full set, and I don't trust bending them again. Now to find some wire.

IMG_6597.jpg
Found the flap, and cleaned it up - it will do, it's soaking in Meguiars now
IMG_6598.jpg
box 'o parts for engine compartment
IMG_6599.jpg
How did I miss these?! These will be sent out to be rechromed
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Mon May 30, 2016 10:38 pm I made the staples out of some galvanized mechanics wire l had for many years. I measured the distance between the holes, l happened to have a chisel the right width and bent the wire around it and made my own staples.
I've got a chisel that's the right width - I just can't seem to find the wire :evil: The local (Ace!) hardware store would have probably had it, but the long term owner retired and the shop closed. Lowes doesn't have it. I'm guessing 20 gauge is about right - so I'm going to order this from Amazon.

Lowes did have Grade 5 hardware for my exhaust manifolds, though - I need bolts on the passenger side, and I have factory studs (needing nuts) on the driver's side (7/16-20). I've read conflicting advice on Never Seize for manifold hardware, though: Use it, or no? You'll remember the horror show I went through getting the bolts out on the passenger side.