Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Dick Koch »

Revolution!
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:52 pmRevolution!
Speaking of revolution - I have embraced the revolutionary idea, that it is time to stop taking things apart, and actually start putting them back together! And with the Keij's help this afternoon, I did just that.

IMG_6734.JPG
IMG_6735.JPG
IMG_6736.JPG

Three of Ed Ober's shims on each firewall hinge bolt should give the cowl clearance I need. Too soon to snug any bolts down, that will await the re-installation of the radiator core. But Faulkner has definitely turned a corner!
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Gotta admit, the underside of the hood looks pretty good. Yes, you seem to have moved from laying on your back and taking a dirt shower every day to the fun part. Reaping the results of all your labor while standing up. Hello, Matthew!
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew and Ron got up at the crack of dawn this morning (or, was it dusk last night?! :shock: ) and drove to Carlisle, where by now they've bought up all the '59 Plymouth parts. Hope they saved some for me - I arrive tomorrow morning.

Today I finished up the inner fenders, and started prepping the engine for repaint - removing most everything I could. I started wire brushing, but it's just too d*mn hot in the garage, the concrete floor is too hard, and the light is in my eyes. Plus I ran out of Yuengling Timers*.

IMG_6738.jpg
Note to self: Block the vacuum intakes
IMG_6739.jpg
I brushed up the thermostat housing, but it has seen better days...
Capture.JPG
...I bought a Dorman's replacement from Amazon, 13 bucks, includes shipping.

Faulkner has always run a little warm, which I guess is why I put a 160 degree thermostat in it; but from what I read on AllPar, it may make the engine run less efficiently. I think I'll put a 180 degree in replacement and see if it makes a difference. Got any advice for me on this score, Dick?

After I brush, degrease and paint the engine silver, I'll pop the covers and paint them red. I've got two nice " -OIL- " caps too that I'll paint black (yup, no breather tube, this is a '58 Christine 318).

*Yuengling - the official Timer of the '59 Plymouth Forum
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Bought the antennas on eBay Monday night. Showed up at my door three days later! Gawd, I love the internets.
IMG_6741.jpg
Yup! Plenty long!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

If you have a 4 blade fan maybe a fan with more blades would help, ask Matthew about that! Could be there is a build up of rust and gunk in the block cooling passages. There are drain plugs on each side of the block. Give that a try,
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I've only put a few thousand miles on Faulkner since the rebuilt block went in, Dick - 2005, I think. The drained antifreeze is bright green, not a hint of rust - I doubt that's the reason.

I've got four blades on my fan. I will have a chat with Matthew!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner's grill had taken a hit on the passenger's side; it could probably be fixed, but several years ago now I picked up a grill that was good on the passenger's side, but had a ding on the driver's side.

That is, if you hold it upside down :o No, like Faulkner's, the ding is on the passenger's side. Still, I'm thinking it could be fixed by Kock Diversified Services.

Unfortunately, the grill I picked up did not have the base aluminum trim attached - and Faulkner's took a hit here too, I'm afraid. This will take more effort...

IMG_6977.jpg
IMG_6973.jpg
IMG_6975.jpg

Also, the mounting brackets are missing - I've removed them from Faulkner's grill, but they'll have to be riveted in.

What do you think, Dick? Should I send to balmy Palm Beach Gardens? I'd send the best of both sides - grill and base trim.

Oh, and the center base piece too! 8)
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Whoa, what a mess! Anodized aluminum is very difficult. First it's very hard to remove dings and dents and when you do you remove some of the anodize so then you have to remove all of it. In the case of your Sport deck l removed all the anodized so l was polishing bare aluminum. I recently saw Grills and base and center pieces on ebay, they looked to be in good condition. The other option is John Fowlie. Grills are hard to clean and Polish because of all the right angles. I got pretty good results on Bertha Irene's grill using a regular tooth brush and Mothers Alum and Mag Polish, which by the way you should use on your Sport Deck. DO NOT SEND THE GRILLS TO ME, PLEASE!
DICK.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hold the Bus Dick Koch Diversified Services! I found a place in Reading, PA (a little over an hour away from me, about 30 minutes the way Matthew drives :D ) that does re-anodizing. I can take the whole kit and caboodle to them - including the side aluminum - but I need someone to do the aluminum work. If I send you the passenger's side grill and base garnish molding, can you try to work your magic?

...and maybe, take a nick out of one of the aluminum headlight bezels?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Sorry Dan, l hate to say no but l have never been sucessful with anodized aluminum.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

OK, Plan 9 from Outer Space:

IMG_6988.jpg

On the back side of each horizontal rail, a little tab is bent over to lock it into each vertical rail. I now have three options:
  • Remove the rail from the eBay piece I bought by unbending the tab, and try to flatten the single bend with wood splints. I'd also have to emory a spot at the bend, but I think I could hide it;
  • Three of the horizontal rails in every grill are the same length. I could take the single undamaged one from Faulkner's grill, and replace it; or
  • I could see if John has an unblemished grill.
Fershur, I'm going to need a replacement base molding - I can't take on straightening that myself.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - Check with John Fowlie. Matthew gave me the name, which l cant remember, of an outfit he gets parts from, l would also check with Jim Hampsher. Meanwhile l will keep looking.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

You’re thinking of The Fin Farm - Jeff Nichols and Jessica Sandstrom. I’ll give a try - certainly, for the base molding. But I can do no harm to try and remove a rail.

Maybe tomorrow. Exhausting day, babysitting my son’s 1 year old while he and his wife are at a wedding. Good thing about grandkids: you get to give them back.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the eBay tip, Dick - I bought the base trim moulding.

Grandkid is off to visit his Nana! After I clean up the place, I'm gonna try my grill trick.