Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

I "blasted" (wire-brushed) and painted a bunch of parts today; carburetor fuel and vacuum line, regulator, battery hold-down bolts, timing plate, water pump, starter. I installed the starter too - thinking, it would be difficult to get it in after I hang the lead exhaust pipe. But man! I can't get that piece in for the life of me. And the passenger side is no cake walk either - it's flush up against the torsion bar and bell housing, even without snugging up the bolts.

Ron bought his exhaust system from Waldron's, after my recommendation - and Ron warned me there are issues with the fit. Well, I'm finding that out :o It looks like putting in the exhaust is going to be a job for a shop. Now, if I can just find a good one... Midas is two blocks, but I don't trust them.
IMG_7200.JPG
new water pump from Rock Auto. Thanks for the tip Matthew!
IMG_7201.JPG
I like the look of the old regulator, and it was working fine - gonna keep it
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

How’s the master cilinder? :mrgreen:
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

The box is fine, Matthew! It's still on the roof of the car :D

I want to get all the painting done (and remnants of rustproofing - inside door skins, etc.) before the weather gets cooler. So I'm going to focus on the engine bay, and then turn my attention to the brakes. I've got all new parts now - shoes, cylinders, master, hoses, bearings. After I do the brakes, install the gas tank (I bought a roll of roofing material for insulation! Who needs some? 8) ) and fire it up, it will be off to exhaust specialty shop to do what I'm not able to do.
william0431

Post by william0431 »

"Paint it black and put it back" :D nothing better then fresh black paint. For the inner doors, 1/4's ect I really gotta recommend that POR 15 stuff. I have used it in that very application on a number of cars and the stuff is amazing! Also for in side the frame rails and between the inner/outer rockers Eastwood sells a kit that has a wand with a 360 degree nozzle for just such projects. I did this on my old beater 70 Plymouth Duster and 10 years on now the guy who owns it says the stuff has held up like rock! and he drives that car rain or shine on country roads. It stopped all the rust dead and nothing new has started growing.... well except in the spots I didn't paint :lol:

If you do get it, Just know its better to get the small cans than the big one, once the lid is cracked if you reseal it the lid on with out completely cleaning the can rim/lid it will basically be permanently cemented to the can... again the stuff dries like a rock! ohh and don't get it on your skin cuz you will ware it for a MONTH! trust me I know :lol: for several months of my life I had black hands and freckles :lol:
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I sent my power window switches out to Devin Duke in California to be rebuilt - he returned my bezels to me so I could get them replated while I wait on the switches, which I'll reassemble with the bezels. I dropped them off this morning at Frankford plating, and picked up my inside door handles - they came out beautifully! Then, I did some more brushing and painting...

IMG_7228.JPG
IMG_7220.JPG
The Poor Man's bead blaster made short work of the regulator housing
IMG_7224.JPG
it seems miraculous that something so cruddy could come back to look like this
IMG_7221.JPG
I'm a big "fan" of my old man's electric motor!
IMG_7227.JPG
IMG_7226.JPG
miscellaneous pieces parts

I kinda miss the old days, when there were three or four people working on their '59's at the same time. Or at least, working on them and posting here about it :cry: Oh well. Maybe things will pick up soon. Meanwhile, I'll keep plodding along, and telling my story.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Some more nibbles of the elephant today. No pix of the generator, although I painted that. The horns came out nice...

IMG_7232.JPG
IMG_7233.JPG
IMG_7236.JPG

I put the carburetor back on - I hooked one end of the throttle spring on the stationary mount, but I'm forgetting where the other end goes on the carb. Does it hook on the linkage here?

IMG_7230.JPG
Does the end of the spring go on the linkage where I've circled in red?
IMG_7237.JPG
water pump and carburetor back on. Yup, Matthew, I'm going to reinstall the old thermostat housing that, unlike the new replacement, points in the right direction! Hopefully teflon tape will keep it from weeping

Dick Koch wrote:Any auto parts store should have mechanics wire.
Yeah. Well, I guess that excludes Auto Zone. And Lowes. And even my local Ace Hardware! :twisted:

I had ordered some 20 gauge mechanics wire from Amazon, but I guessed too light - I'm waiting on 18 gauge now. I don't want to put too much back in the engine compartment, until I install the inner fender splash shields while I can easily get to them.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

There is a small hole directly south of your red circle. Thats where one end of the spring goes.. looking good Dan! Wont be long before desert is served.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

My hope is to replace all the brake parts before Thanksgiving, and get the car off to the shop for repainting. I could even drive it there - it's just a few blocks away, and I can get there without driving on major thoroughfares.

The problem is the exhaust - it's going to be too loud to drive there with no mufflers. It's going to have to go to a shop to have the lead pipes bent properly, though. But, what if I could hook up the exhaust temporarily? They sell flexible lines such as these - if I could find something like this with the right flange, or a stub with a flange that I could clamp to - maybe I could get away with it. Thoughts?
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Get the exhaust done first, clamp a muffler on the pipe wher ever and go.
Dick.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:07 pm Get the exhaust done first, clamp a muffler on the pipe wher ever and go.
You mean, before painting. Agreed! But how do I get it to the exhaust shop? This is all stainless, I want it done right, not by the high school dropouts at Midas a couple blocks from me. I'm thinking better of it, I will probably get it towed with a flat bed. And hell, maybe I'll get them to do the brakes while I'm at it. If I had the luxury of time, I'd do them myself - but time is awastin', if Faulkner is to appear at Carlisle.

But, I've got to have the engine compartment slapped back together and the engine running, for sure.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Some more pieces parts.

IMG_7240.JPG
IMG_7244.JPG
gas tank straps...
IMG_7243.JPG
...and bolts
IMG_7242.JPG
headlight buckets...
IMG_7246.JPG
...and shrouds
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Dan, It is the highlight of my day when I check on the forum and see several new post of Faulkner progress! Truly inspiring! Who is Devin Duke? I have two sets of power window switches and several of them need rebuilt? Is he the guy offering rebuild services on eBay? Interested to see how they turn out.

You are making incredible progress! cant wait to watch all these better than "new" parts go back together!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

william0431 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 pm Dan, It is the highlight of my day when I check on the forum and see several new post of Faulkner progress! Truly inspiring!
Garsh, thanks, Will! :D
william0431 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 pm Who is Devin Duke? I have two sets of power window switches and several of them need rebuilt? Is he the guy offering rebuild services on eBay? Interested to see how they turn out.
Yup, that's him - here's the link to his eBay store, he's in Magalia, California. I'll post pix when I get them back.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Flat bed is the way to go.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the confirmation, Dick - I'm convinced now you are right. Now, to back Faulkner down the narrow driveway (no room for a flatbed) with the emergency brake. Thank God there's a hydrant directly across the street to stop me.

SLO Hydrant Gusher38.jpg