Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Dick Koch

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Dick Koch »

Any auto parts store should have mechanics wire.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I got a call from Classic Coachworks - they picked up the hood last Friday to do some spot welding, straightening and filling in the cracks (now reinforced by the welds). The price? Pizza!! I'm sending 8 pies there on Friday when I pick up the hood. This maybe the place to take Faulkner for the taillight fixup, this, that, and the other thing... Will post pix if I have a chance before I leave for the mountains this weekend.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:45 pm Just the one [hood bolt] stripped, Dick - the one I pried out of there, I was able to back out the snapped bolt. Funny, the nut threads look fine! Perhaps the bolt was of softer metal - I'll see if I can snug a short bolt in it.
So, the hood mounts to the hinges with four inboard studs, and four outboard bolts. One of the inboard studs had been replaced with a bolt - I'll make a stud from a bolt and put a burr in it for a stop. Why am I anal about this, when my interior will not be original?! Go figure.

All four studs and all four bolts screw into nuts whose edges are peened into the hood frame. For one of the four outboard bolts, the hole is stripped. I might be able to tap it to the next size thread, or I could just drill it out and replace with a bolt. Prolly would never know.

What do you think, Dick?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:19 pm I got a call from Classic Coachworks - they picked up the hood last Friday to do some spot welding, straightening and filling in the cracks (now reinforced by the welds). The price? Pizza!! I'm sending 8 pies there on Friday when I pick up the hood. This maybe the place to take Faulkner for the taillight fixup, this, that, and the other thing... Will post pix if I have a chance before I leave for the mountains this weekend.
Well, I would have had the chance, if Dick hadn't backed Bertha Irene over that Comcast cable and knocked out the Northeast internets. :o But we seem to have recovered, so I'll post the pix now.
IMG_6614.JPG
Classic Coachworks, Upper Darby, PA
IMG_6613.JPG
A shot of the shop - that's Scott eating my pizza in the upper left corner! Not a bad deal, for me. Faulkner's hood is standing up to the right
IMG_6611.JPG
I should have taken a close up of the topside repairs to the cracks, from the broken spot welds. Top notch!
IMG_6612.JPG
The bend to the corner is *gone*!
IMG_6617.JPG
"Reunited... and it feels so good"
IMG_6615.JPG
perfect spot welds, no flex in the lip bracket now
IMG_6616.JPG
Where Scott tapped out the bend in the hood
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan; The hood looks great!! Did you ever get A paint job nailed down? Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Not yet, Mark - but I'm thinking about taking Faulkner to Classic Coach, where I could actually drive it without bumpers and lights. It's a couple blocks from my house, on side streets. I expect I will pay more, but I will get more... We will see.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hinge time!

IMG_6688.JPG
Some before pix
IMG_6696.JPG
IMG_6692.JPG
A poor man's bead blaster - a brass wheel on my old man's grinder
IMG_6690.JPG
A work in progress
IMG_6691.JPG
...closer...
IMG_6694.JPG
The finished deal!
IMG_6695.JPG
IMG_6699.JPG
IMG_6701.JPG
I'll let this dry, close the hinge to expose unpainted areas, then flip and repeat
IMG_6700.JPG

No looseness at all in the pivots - very solid hinges. Just, too close to the firewall! My body man speculated that when driving by the Braille method, the collision the Sterling girls had (the front clip was replaced) pushed the hinges ever so slightly into the firewall. If so, it's imperceptible, but the hood is too close to the cowl. Some of Ed Ober's shims to the rescue when I put the hood back on!
big m

Post by big m »

Looks like they did a great job repairing the hood.

I remember mine had some cracks as well as many broken bolts that I had to extract, it probably was a common thing on these.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Faulkner wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm Dick also alerted me to a pair of Chebby antennas on eBay which I snatched up before my Carlisle score, thinking I could adapt them; and it turns out, the masts are the same size as Plymouths - 5/16" in diameter... However, the Plymouth antennas extend to 63" or thereabouts; the Chebbies, only 43". They would do in a pinch. But surely, someone makes antenna masts of longer length that could be adapted. No?
In the interest of helping me spend my retirement nest egg, Dick found them on eBay! And because I do everything Dick tells me to do, I bought them:

Capture.JPG
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dan - and anybody else interested my eBay search criteria for ebay I've used for years is "plymouth (59, 59, '59]" Same for 57 and 58.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I like to take advantage of 'Mericuns propensity to misspell. That's why I toss in "Plymoth":

(1959,59,'59) (plymouth,plymoth,plym,ply)

A Dave Stragand trick! I've found a thing or two this way. But what surprised me, Dick, was that when I added the item number:

(1959,59,'59) (plymouth,plymoth,plym,ply)(372080655649)

I saw that it had been posted back in September! I'm still surprised that you found it - unless you fell asleep with your finger on the "next page" button.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

All l did was add the word "antennas" to my search criteria after it came up, genius l guess.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

While the Keijs are here, I'm hoping to get the hood back on the hinges, even if not properly aligned - I can fiddle with that. So yesterday I painted the underside of the hood, with less than pleasing results; I should have sanded it after I had wire-brushed it (including the remnants of the previous hood pad). And Matthew graciously pointed out that I had painted it in the wrong color - it should be gray or argent. And because I do everything Matthew tells me to do, I took today as an opportunity for a redo while they are in New York.

IMG_6726.jpg
After sanding, before painting
IMG_6728.jpg
After painting
IMG_6730.jpg
New Goers hood pad placed for perimeter check

It just so happens I had argent paint - I won't be needing it, since I plan on painting the wheels bronze :mrgreen: Before I laid the pad down, I used a Yuengling Timer* (I thought of you, Mark!) to make sure the paint was dry.

*Yuengling - the Official Timer of the '59 Plymouth Forum
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Dont want to burst your bubble but the under side of the hood and trunk lid is grey. Wheels, front splash pan and valance is ARGENT!
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Gray, Argent - Ricky Nelson said it best (Garden Party): "You can't please everyone, so you gots to please yourself."

Bronze wheels on a bronze car!