Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

Bending those little tabs is no mean feat. That rules out option # 2- I can't get a rail out, to replace it.

I tried taking the bend out "in situ":

IMG_7002.jpg
The old man's vise and a pair of wood splints
IMG_7005.jpg
Well, it's straight from five feet - got a little ding in the lip, though

I tried to emory out the ding (which of course, brightened up that spot with the anodize removed), but I don't think there's much more I can do with this.

What are the chances a I can find a used one without dings? At any rate, I left a message with Jim Hamsher, and sent a note to John Fowlie. Let's see what turns up.

And oh yeah, Dick - while going through the box with the grilles in it, I found these two pieces - I never did send them to you:

IMG_7007.jpg

One is flattened a bit, and needs some TLC. May I send your way?
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
william0431

Post by william0431 »

Hi Dan, there is this one on eBay for 99 bucks plus shipping :/ not sure if it's cheeper to fix and re-anodize or just get this NOS grille. Might be worth asking if he will make a deal on it.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1959-Belvede ... =R40&rt=nc
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

No problembo, send um. Dan, be careful, some grills are plain some are serrated.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yup! Thanks, Will - I saw this last night, and put that question to the seller. This piece looks to be smooth, but Faulkner's are grooved. Otherwise, I would have snatched it in a heartbeat.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

I sent you several emails of choices on ebay, dis you get them?
Dick
big m

Post by big m »

Dan,

I have piles of used grills, so if you are unable to get a good one from E-bay, let me know, and I'll see if I have a super nice one.

---John
In rust we trust!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, I got all of those emails, thanks! And I bought the NOS base molding from the link you sent me. The NOS grilles are phenomenally expensive, though - since I'm getting parts reanodized, a decent used one will do. There is one on eBay that might be worth the price, but I was holding off to hear from Jim Hamsher or John Fowlie.
big m wrote:I have piles of used grills, so if you are unable to get a good one from E-bay, let me know, and I'll see if I have a super nice one.
That's music to my ears, John! I'd much rather deal with someone I know and trust. Pick me out a super nice one (passenger side) and we will take it from there. Thanks!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Just a suggestion, to have one re-anodized they have to take it apart, and de-anodize it and
its prohibitably expensive. First i would try my tooghbrush trick with mag cleaner. Get a good one from John. Then try it.
Dick
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick, I'll try it - but, I think Ron said he sent his out (along with a bunch of other aluminum parts). They dipped them somehow to strip the anodizing, then reanodized - without taking them apart. I dunno, maybe it's a Dutch thing? :roll: Matthew, can you comment?

I can say that I spot tested some Flitz polish on the gas flap aluminum, and the results were pretty good. I forget where I saw them recommended for aluminum, and I bought some. I will give it a try on the driver's side grille from Faulkner. Hey, I've got lotsa toothbrushes!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Score! John has a passenger grille piece with no dings or scratches, just needs cleaning and polishing - and a great price. Once again, Big M proves it is the go-to place for MoPar enthusiasts.

Dick, the trim pieces I waylaid is boxed up, and will be winging its way to Palm Beach Gardens in the morning.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I did a little engine compartment detailing today...

IMG_7020.JPG
The poor man's bead blaster makes short cleanup of bolts
It looks like at least two of the bolts - the ones between the top of the water pump, and the bottom - penetrate the water jacket.
IMG_7024.JPG
Wire-brushed, vacuumed, mineral spirits, wipe and spray. Forgot to take a pic after I painted the pulley black
IMG_7025.JPG
Rockers look great! Like it had just been rebuilt
37837069_118002062460547_1032746747706736640_n.jpg
Oh, Yeah - It's Got a Poly!!
IMG_7026.JPG
Once red ('58 block), then silver, to be red again. All scraped and wiped down with mineral spirits
IMG_7027.JPG
Like Matthew did 'em
IMG_7028.JPG
IMG_7073.JPG
IMG_7074.JPG
I'm thinking this red has a little too much orange in it for me... I might revisit the color

Any advice about PermaTex'ing the water pump bolts?

I'll be leaving the covers off until I am ready to start up the engine - I'll put a little oil on the rocker parts before any serious cranking.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I picked up the VHT engine paint for the valve covers when Ron, Matthew and I visited the Eastwood store in Pottstown.

IMG_7084.jpg
The reason the paint looks a little orange to me, is because...
IMG_7085.jpg
Oh Noes! It's Bowtie Orange!
IMG_7086.jpg
I just happened to have a couple of cans of this -- I think I'll give it a try
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Srlsly. I know the water pump gasket keeps water from leaking out from the pump chamber. But, the left and right bolts at mid-height don't go through this chamber, and apparently go through the water jacket (or else antifreeze wouldn't chase the bolts when I remove them). What's to keep fluid from seeping along the length of the bolt shaft, and out under the bolt head?

PermaTex, or no? (*Tap*, *tap*...) Hey, is this mike on?
william0431

Post by william0431 »

I have used this before on a few engines to seal the water pump bolts and header bolts that go in to the water jacket. its Loctite Head Bolt and Water Jacket Sealant 1158514

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /overview/
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks Will! Do you just put it on the threads, or also on the bolt shaft?