Faulkner gets a Redo

Works in progress. Or, whose progress has been completed!
Faulkner

Re: Faulkner gets a Redo

Post by Faulkner »

The heater cover is back on, and the generator mounted. The P/S pump mounting bracket is freshly painted and still drying, so that will have to wait. Time now, though, to start thinking about packing and getting ready for our trip. It will be two weeks before I'm back in the garage.

IMG_7356.JPG
IMG_7385.JPG
IMG_7386.JPG
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Yeah, but... While making small talk with company, I snuck out to the garage to check on the brackets. Dry! So I bolted the P/S pump back on.

No, I'm not gonna get Faulkner started before my departure. But I'm closing in on it.

ps.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I spent some time getting reintroduced to Faulkner this afternoon, but accomplished very little.

It seems (because I can't remember) that the generator wiring harness to the regulator was routed across the radiator core, from it's length - but, I'm thinking of making a new longer one that's routed across the firewall, and along side the right valve cover. Isn't that what those tabs are for, spot-welded to the cover? (I don't know if '59's had them, but my 318 is from a '58.) And is that other bracket for a heater hose?

1.jpg
Are the tabs for the generator harness? And, is that curved bracket for a heater hose?
3.jpg
Having a helluva time mounting the sender in the tank. Rubber gasket, sender, retainer - that's the order, correct?
2.jpg
There doesn't seem to be enough room to twist the retainer

The sending unit float arm is up against the stop with the float at the bottom of the tank - it seems to be bent perfectly. But, I can't twist the retainer in place. Any ideas? I think Matthew may have mentioned there's a special tool for this...
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaakk. Yes there is a tool for that. It's a very tight fit so doesn't leak. If your gasket is rubber apply silicone spray to make slikky. I use a screwdriver on the upright tap to tap it tight.
The generator wiring lays on the front top of the engine under the radiator hose to the regulator.
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Okay, The bracket you thought was for heater hose is, and also uses a sheet metal strap to secure the hose to it. And for the sending unit...I like using ,375" key-stock and finish using the dull end of a .250" punch utilizing all the tightening tabs if I can't find my sending unit tool...Usually out on loan and seems to have a hard time finding it's way home.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the replies, guys. I see from the engine pic in this post, Dick has the (alternator) wire bundle lying on the top of the water pump housing - I'm guessing that's going to get no hotter than the coolant :roll: Is that where you mean, Dick? What are those tabs for on the side of my valve cover?

Well, I got to thinking about my old sending unit, and couldn't remember there being a gasket under it (although there must have been). So I went out to the garage to have a look at it, and lo and behold, there was a brand new retainer and gasket I had put in the same spot, that I had bought from Vans - the manufacturer of the new gas tank. The retainer and grommet I had been trying to fit, came with the new sending unit! The van's grommet is more like a rubber band, and neatly fits in a groove around the opening for the sending unit.

1.jpg
2.jpg

All the same, I'll slick it up with silicone spray before I give another rat-a-tat-tat.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

You can get split wire loom to run the wires thru to the regulator, it's black and corrugated and looks real good runs from 3/8 to 1" i.d. We have it at ACE.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Neither of my 318 valve covers have any of those tabs???
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

That's a thought.

(*Ahem*)... What are the bendable tab pairs for, that are on the side of my valve cover?

pic.JPG
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Ah, just now seeing your reply, Dick.

I'm thinking that I have them because my 318 is out of a '58. And that perhaps, they routed the generator wires through them? Or the fuel line?

Dunno. I guess I'll have to jump over to 58plymouth.net and have a look :lol:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Maybe overlong sparkplug wires?
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I wouldn't think so - not with this doo-dad on the same cover, to accommodate four wires.

Capture.PNG

And the driver's side has the same doo-dad, but no bendable tabs.

I'm inclined to think the 1958 318's had bendable tabs for routing the generator wires. I'm forgetting what engine Ed Eckerson has in his '58 - I think I'll put the question to him.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Sorry, didn't see the doo dad.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

This just in from Ed!
Ed Eckerson wrote:HI DAN!!!
Those covers certainly not 57 58 or even 59.

I'll bet they are "2 hole" covers too

but my guess is that your assumption is correct for the later years--1960-1966.

other than that--having a ball playing with all the toys
anything new in the world of SPORTFURYS????????????

ED
Hmm... Didn't Mother MoPar go to the LA block for the 318 by '65? And the covers weren't scalloped, and the heads weren't poly-spherical anymore?

In any event - I've got a hodge-podge block!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I tried to install the sending unit today - but the plate of the unit kept shifting as I applied pressure and tried tapping the stops. Rather than damage the tank, I broke down and ordered the tool:

LRRT.JPG

This will permit me to apply uniform pressure as I turn it, and hopefully install it without ripping up the grommet or the tank :shock:

Having a custom valve cover, I made the decision to make a new generator harness, and reroute it along the firewall. Not '59-ish? So, sue me! I didn't like the look of those tabs flapping in the breeze.

IMG_7978.JPG
IMG_7981.JPG

I (think! :roll: ) I got all the wiring right - I labeled each terminal before I removed a wire - and it's all back together now. Heat shrink tubing really dresses up the appearance of terminals! But when all was said and done, I was short a wire - the one on the solenoid.

IMG_7985.JPG
IMG_7983.JPG
wiring.JPG

The wiring diagram shows three terminals, and suggests that the unit itself is grounded through the body of the solenoid. Is that so, and is that why I'm missing a wire? Could it hurt to put a wire on this terminal, and ground it to the inner fender? I'd be interested in seeing pix of this area on other '59s.

It occurs to me: Perhaps I'll remove the wires to the solenoid, apply power to the ignition terminal, and check continuity through the solenoid with a meter - without the proposed ground wire. that should tell me whether the ground wire is necessary, or not.