Instrument Lights

Got a question? This is the place to ask
schlaaj

Instrument Lights

Post by schlaaj »

I need to change out the three instrument lights at the top (backside) of my instrument panel. One bulb is in the center top and the other two are at the extreme ends of the panel between each side and the left/right turn signal bulbs. I can get my hand on the center unit and install a new LED (#57) bulb with a little effort. The two outer bulbs I can barely touch them but there is no room to use my fingers and switch them out. I thought about pulling the instrument cluster forward out of the dash, but top two screws and especially the lower two nuts are hard to access using a wrench under the dash. (I would have to remove the front seat, I am 78 years old, and drop the steering wheel to boot) With the transmission pushbutton mechanism on the left side and the heater/air pushbutton mechanism on the right side, is it possible to pull the pushbutton dash plates and disconnect both pushbutton assemblies from dash, and push them back into the dash and reach my finger around from the sides and access the two outer bulbs thru these two dash openings ? Trying to make this as easy as possible. Comments, suggestions as to the best way ????

By the way, if you ever need to replace a #57 Bulb holder for this application, Dorman makes a 5/8" single contact snap-in socket #85805. Parts stores don't seem to stock them but they can order them.
Dick Koch

Re: Instrument Lights

Post by Dick Koch »

Art - l changed all my dash bulbs from #57 to LED's including the three you are talking about with no trouble at all. I suggest a small blade of some kind to pry the socket out of the hole. Just let me say do not wait until you are 86 to change your power steering box. Been fighting it for 3 days with my son and a 80 year old car guy friend, it a sonofagunjob. Work at it 20 minutes then have to take a 2 hour power nap.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Dick Koch wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:26 pm Just let me say do not wait until you are 86 to change your power steering box. Been fighting it for 3 days with my son and a 80 year old car guy friend, it a sonofagunjob. Work at it 20 minutes then have to take a 2 hour power nap.
Ooh! Post “How To” pix, Dick! :wink:
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
schlaaj

Post by schlaaj »

Dick Koch, it was good to hear from you and good to know your are not pushing up daisy's. I have learned a lot from you over the years and when your gone I don't know what Dan's web site will do. You have a few more years on me but I am not far behind you. The older I get the more I procrastinate before tackling a job. The last time I replaced the center bulb as I recall (memory is failing), after pulling socket free from dash, the bulb wire wasn't long enough to extend down below the dash for an easy change. It's tough enough getting one hand up there, but then I needed a second hand to hold the receptacle while removing the bulb. Now picture a 78 year old guy laying up-side down on the car seat (steering wheel in the way) and trying to stick my head up under dash enough to see what I am doing. I will "get-er done", after my procrastinating period passes and let you know how it went.
vanguy16

Post by vanguy16 »

I too being a young 48 years old had trouble changing all three especially that high up center one with the tiny bit of wire. I lay on my back with my head squeezed in behind the gas pedal to get access up behind the console. NOT an easy way to do anything behind the cluster.

I changed out the bulbs with LEDs. You don't retain the dimming feature with LEDs of course, but hopefully last longer so I don't have to deal with that again for some time!
IMG_20220717_000541.jpg
IMG_20220717_000548.jpg
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Knowing working under the dash is only a job for a contortionist l figured having to remove the steering column jacket and steering shaft would be as difficult when l replaced the power steering box so since the front seat is only held in with four nuts l elicited the help of my son and removed the entire swivel seat assembly, problem solved, sure made it a lot easier.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.