Martha's Home!

Your banter here!
Faulkner

Martha's Home!

Post by Faulkner »

Martha's Home! It's been three months since I laid eyes on her on the San Fran Craigslist. It's been a long slog, but so worth the wait!

The engine purrs like a kitten...

The car is registered, has plates and insurance - but, is not yet inspected (taillights, wipers, horn, etc.). But I was able to drive her home on Friday. Wow, she runs great! The brakes are solid, the clutch is sure, it shifts in all gears fine. Headlights work, as does the heater!! Even the dash lights work. And sitting all day in the driveway, not a drop of oil or grease.

I spent the day yesterday inspecting the old girl, pulling down the old headliner (I have a new one) and vacuuming out. She cleaned up nice! Here are some after pix with commentary.

IMG_9003.JPG
IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9006.JPG
IMG_9008.JPG
IMG_9016.JPG
This piece of trim from the rear tailgate may be coming your way, Dick - along with a piece from the front. Most of the stainless is in excellent shape, just needs polishing!
IMG_9012.JPG
Note the "63" on the tag - I wonder if the owner before Mike Williams transferred it to him, or if this was Mike's old tag? It would be interesting to run it - if I could!
IMG_9018.JPG
Is this mirror worth saving? I don't know if it's original - the glass is cracked, but easily replaced
IMG_9024.JPG
Not surprising - the floorboards have been replaced. They look to be fitted well, but I suspect they've been laid over the old instead of cutting out. I'll have to address this along the way
IMG_9026.JPG
I love this look!
IMG_9027.JPG
Dog dish hub caps - I have a set of full covers, they need some touch-up paint
IMG_9029.JPG
The windshield grommet is perfect, as are the grommets for all fixed windows! I have new weatherstripping for vents, doors and tailgate, and whiskers for windows - including the sliding windows
IMG_9028.JPG
Yeah - a wart on the hood
IMG_9033.JPG
This tells the tale! Martha has flipped the odometer; but can't be more than once, the engine was so clean when they checked the valve inspection plates and pan. They cleaned up and blew out the ports, all the same
IMG_9036.JPG
The "toe board" around the pedals is solid, but not the inspection cover for the master cylinder - fortunately, the entire clip ring is intact. I'll be JB Welding a new cover to this after I rustproof everything
IMG_9020.JPG
A J.C. Whitney front mat, perhaps?
IMG_9037.JPG
Look at that interior!!
IMG_9044.JPG
IMG_9038.JPG
My temporary gas can. The back just needs some wire-brushing, rustproofing and painting
IMG_9040.JPG
IMG_9039.JPG
This looks bad - but mostly, it's rusty rubber weatherstripping. The top of the channel in which it sits is eaten away in spots, but the bottom of the channel looks good. There's enough meat here to preserve and hold the weatherstrip into place after rustproofing
IMG_9041.JPG
Now, here's trouble. Fortunately, the hinge areas are intact, but this area needs help
IMG_9047.JPG
So does the passenger side rocker - it looks like they ran over something one time. The driver's side is in good shape...
IMG_9048.JPG
...but the passenger side needs to be replaced
IMG_9051.JPG
Get this! The old mat!
IMG_9053.JPG
DPCD. The part number matches...
IMG_9056.JPG
...the part in the book!
IMG_9049.JPG
Martha, My Dear
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Faulkner

Re: Martha's Home!

Post by Faulkner »

The winter doldrums... (*sigh*.)

IMG_9084.jpg
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

They will fit! Fins did not come on Suburbans from the factory, but we will consider it a dealer option :P

IMG_0275.jpg

I put the question to Gordon Davis, one of Exner's designers:
Dan wrote:Hi Gordon! I wonder what you can tell me about Virgil's influences on the '54 Plymouth. I heard that he had something to do with fabric color coordinations, but I'm particularly interested to know if he had anything to do with the chrome fins that were optional. Thanks!
Gordon's reply:
Gordon wrote:Great question, but I didn't join Chrysler until 1955. But what I came to know about Exner, I'm sure he had the final say over fabric color and instrument panel design as well. As for chrome fins, absolutely. No question. Just biding his time until his Forward Concepts became a reality.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Dan that will look real sharp !! The added touch. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Faulkner

Martha's Gone

Post by Faulkner »

And... She's gone. I decided I needed something with more get up and go, didn't drive like a truck, and didn't need a lot more work (I'm back working full time, so I have less time these days).

Off she went to Maryland - she sold today.

Goodbye Martha!
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

I hear ya. Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!