complicated situation

Got a question? This is the place to ask
rogerh

complicated situation

Post by rogerh »

Hello Group,
I am in a difficult situation. I am looking for advice/support.
One of our List members contacted me, wanting to buy a set of hood hinges, if I had them. I did, so I contacted them, and after a long delay (all my fault, due to moving, Christmastime, and my well-publicized marital problems), I sold them a pair of hinges for $25/pair. They paid by check.
That should have been the end of it, but they are now complaining that one of the hinges doesn't function correctly. They want me to send them a replacement. What should I do? The hinges were obviously "used". They did not ask for, and I did not offer any sort of guarantee. I do have more hinges, but maybe none of them will pass their test. What should I do? In additon, they want me to write up an invoice so they can submit it to their insurance company, as I did for the first sale..
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Id say let the buyer beware Roger,you didnt offer any guarantee and its just their word against yours.but unfortunately if you want to keep your reputation i guess youd have to send them another hinge,id ask for the one back they say doesnt function properly,and send them another (shipping paid by them of course)and stress theres no warranty,written or implied!
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

I would agree. I say that $25 for a PAIR of hinges was super cheap and the buyer should have known there was a risk that they would not be perfect. After all its not like you can test them off the car easily!

It would seem fair to send him another one and ask for yours back. He should pay the shipping both ways. But he must understand this time there are no guarantees this one will function any better. He could always buy new and pay the full $$$$.

Just chalk it up as the price of doing business - even though this seemed more a gift since the price was so cheap. All this just because you were trying to help a fellow member out.
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Roger previous comments, I would make sure you get the supposedly bad one and compare it to the others you have. I know it's trite but I would not send them a replacement until you get the other back and make sure its the right side.
Dick
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Does anyone have experience in hood hinges not closing the hood? I have, and I always changed the spring. True enough, the rivet pivots can get loose, but if the spring is strong enough, shouldn't it close the hood?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I sent them another hinge, they sent additional money, the replacement hinge works..case closed.
Nighthawk

Post by Nighthawk »

Good to hear,i guess that wraps this one up eh inspector???