Gurgeling Gas??

Your banter here!
Dick Koch

Gurgeling Gas??

Post by Dick Koch »

Hey Guys, what's up with every time I fill my 59 SF's with gas it overflows without warning. I purchased a gas filler adapter insert from NAPA with the small hole for the current gas nozzle but it still does it. Am I the only one or is any one else having the same problem, or has any one found a solution other than sticking your ear next to the filler listening for the change in the gurgeling sound as it reaches the top and then still letting up on the lever to late (besides feeling and looking stupid listening to your gas tank)
Help,
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

In my humble opinion, your piggybacked "breather" line is clogged. As you pour fuel into the tank, you are displacing air in the tank. That air takes the easiest route..back up the filler pipe. There is, however, a piggyback line, which runs from the tank alongside the filler pipe and terminates at the filler neck ring. If this line is clogged, you will get the burp you describe. The piggyback line has some rubber hose sections..maybe these have rotted from within and clogged, or maybe it's clogged right at the filler neck. I know that a picture would be worth a thousand words, but I am not set up to make such photos.
I will look at the Parts Book for a decent drawing which would show what I am describing.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

That’s an interesting question Dick,

You are not the only one with this problem. Rogers opinions makes sense but I’ve never seen rubber sections in the breather line. I’ll take a look next time and let you know.

Stefan
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

stefan, you are right..no rubber sections..sorry to mis-lead you all. I must be thinking of some other brand of car. (It's beeen too long since I had my car disassembled.)
There IS a "burp" tube, but it is built INTO the side of the filler tube. I have some filler tubes laying around, I can look at/photograph them one day soon.
I need to stop trying to reply to posts late at night!
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Oops! Now I know why you copied me, Roger! OK, here's your email, and your pix...
Stefan and Dick,
Here are some filler tube photos. There IS an internal "burp" line..the main tube has a portion divided off. Dick, look at your filler pipe..the "baffle" should be "up"..at the 12 o:clock position, so that when fuel goes in the tank, the air comes out above the fuel. Perhaps your filler pipe was removed, then re-installed incorrectly (rotated).
So that I am not totally crazy, isnt there a drain to the "bowl" that holds the top of the filler neck to the car (at the filler door)? Again, I have no time to check on that now..gotta dash off to work.
Have a good one, everyone.
Roger
pict0017.jpg
pict0019.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Thanks Roger - That could be it, I will take a look tomorrow and let you know. Stefan, have you ever had your tank out for cleaning? both of my cars had the tanks out so maybe the filler tubes were not replaced correctly.
Dick.
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Dick,

Do you have this situation on both of your cars?
I had the gas tank out several times but unlike you I don’t have the original one. The former owner replaced it for a gas tank of an Aspen/Volare (1977+) and welded the filler tube right onto the tank. I took a closer look yesterday and saw that the filler tube enters a little lower than the highest point of the gas tank. That means there still remains an air bubble in the top of the tank that babbles out when it’s almost full. I guess, no I’m sure it all has to do with this air bubble and/or the air breather. Besides, nobody else seems to have this problem, except us.

Stefan
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Stephan

I know the Green car had the tank out for cleaning and coating. I took a flashlight and looked down the filler tube, there is a curved metal piece tack welded to one side of the tube about 6 inches long and another one down at the bottom, they look like reinforcements because there is a 1/4" space between them and the filler tube. The green one has the two metal pieces positioned in the left bottom quadrant of the tube, about 7 o'clock.

I'm pretty sure the Red car has had the tank out or at least the filler tube because the slots for the cap are really knarled up pretty good as if someone tried twisting the filler tube to work it out of the tank. I know there is a rubber O ring where the tube fits into the tank. The inside of the tube is the same as the green car except those two reinforcements are in the upper left quadrant of the tube about 10 o'clock. I see no resemblance to the pictures that Roger sent. I could see the gas in both tanks. If you had a vent tube in yours it possible could have been blocked off when the quy welded the tube to the tank. I just love these kind of mysteries don't you.
Dick.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Stefan - Old age is a bitch, I just remembered I have a tube I took out of a 4 dr. parts car I have. Its the same as I described previousely, the exterior of the tube is plain, no air vent tubes on the outside or the inside, again nothing like the tube Roger sent pictures of. I was lucky to save the tube because the tank only had sides, no top or bottom.
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Well, everybody and anybody,
who else will take flashlight and look down their fuel tank filler pipe, and add their 2cents to this mystery? I have another filler pipe laying about, I will look at that one, and also the one installed in the car.
(Both pipes are from parts cars, thought to have been original units)
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hey Roger - Did you find your flashlight yet??
Dick.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I am sending you a picture of my car's filler pipe, and a pic of the two parts pipes. Sorry, I keep forgetting the address to post pics to the Forum, and my daughter and dog are both nagging me to go outdoors
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

rogerh wrote:Dick,
As you may be able to see, the filler pipe in my car is identical to the two "parts" ones in the next picture.
I'd open up the trunk to inspect the interior set up, but I havs so much stuff in my garage, I am unable to do that.
But it seems to me thatthere is a screw which attaches the filler pipe to the tank, which helps orient it. Maybe not.
roger
pict0021.jpg
pict0022.jpg
Last edited by Faulkner on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
sportfury1959

Post by sportfury1959 »

Dick,

I took a closer look to my filler pipe this afternoon. It’s the same like on Roger’s picture/car. Yet we have the problem and Roger not. Well, it’s got to do with the air bubble in the top of the fuel tank.

Stefan