Bell Housing bolt patterns

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Faulkner

Bell Housing bolt patterns

Post by Faulkner »

Anyone know the answer to this question, put by Gary Pavlovich (of 318 performance fame)?
Gary wrote:Dan,

Thank you for the great links and your own '59 Plymouth site.

By the way, does the 1956 Ply 277 Poly have the same bellhousing bolt pattern so that it will mate with the '59 cast iron Torqueflite? And does the '59 Ply still have the alum. plate between the engine block and trans like the 277 and other early Chrysler/Poly engines?

Thank you,
Gary Pavlovich
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Bell Housing bolt patterns

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

The bolt patterns are the same and if you have the 59 to 61 bellhousing you don't use the plate.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Hmm... Gary begs to differ:
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:18 AM
To: Morton, Dan
Subject: Re: Finally -- an answer!

Dan,

Thank you for posting to the group. There is much mis-information but I thought it would be helpful to see what others had to say about the early and late Poly engines.

I have found that the bellhousing pattern is indeed different from the 56-58 engines and I suspect they are different all the way to 1961, prior to the aluminum case Torqueflite in 1962. The early 56-61Poly dowel pins and the two lower bolt holes are in a different location from the 1962-66 Poly 318 engines.

By the way, do any of your members have a 1959 Plymouth manual steering box for sale?

Thank you,
Gary
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

I have read the responses twice, and it looks like they say the same thing. other than the 59 to 60 bell housing do not use the plate, its inclusive. I will take pictures of one and post them.
RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

RICKYMOPAR wrote:The bolt patterns are the same and if you have the 59 to 61 bellhousing you don't use the plate.
Bell housing 1925826 also Dodge truck with A engine and Load Flite. Hollander number 408.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Thanks RickyMopar for pulling out the Hollander listing to show what interchanges with what.

I think you live close to me here in the Denver area... Are you the one with the 61 300G and other Mopars (Challenger, Hemi Super Stocker ETC.) I have been hearing about locally? We may have met at some point... I will send you a email to introduce myself. :)

Thanks

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/