Dual 4 bbl. Air Cleaners.

Looking for something? Post it here!
Dick Koch

Dual 4 bbl. Air Cleaners.

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi All - Well I'm going to do it! 2 x 4 bbl. carbs on my 318. I got a real nice manifold from Big M and a pair of Carter AFB 600 CFM carbs set up for dual operation on ebay. I am not sure if this is too much carb or not but It's mostly for show anyway although I will probable "get on it" once in a while it will mostly be running on one carb. Any and all advice is welcome. If anyone can help I need a pair of Oval Air Cleaners for this setup.
Thanks,
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Hi Dick, There is a person in Sweden that is doing authentic reproductions of the oval air cleaners used from '58-'62, I'll check to see if I can find some contact info for you. ---John
In rust we trust!
duggar

Dual 4 air cleaners

Post by duggar »

Contact Michael Burke - c300f@hotmail.com for reproduction air cleaners. Go to this website - http://www.chrysler300clubinc.com/ and look under the vendor section for pictures of them. They are nice but expensive.
duggar

Oval Air Cleaners

Post by duggar »

http://www.chrysler300club.com/rcmstuff ... rsale.html

Dick,
Here is a better link for the air cleaner pictures on the Chrysler 300 web site.
moparwagon

Dual quad air cleaners

Post by moparwagon »

The original oval air cleaners are bringing in BIG BUCKS now. Here's a picture of what I'm using and they fit my budget MUCH better (about 30 bucks). Ron
Ply dual quad motor.jpg
1959 2 Dr Suburban under construction
moparwagon

Ooops, wrong picture

Post by moparwagon »

Okay, guess I don't have a picture showing the air cleaners yet. Will post later. Ron
moparwagon

Ooops, wrong picture

Post by moparwagon »

Okay, guess I don't have a picture showing the air cleaners yet. Will post later. Ron
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Dual 4 bbl. Air Cleaners.

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

F.Y.I. The original oval air cleaner necks are too small for the newer carbs, maybe someone makes a reverse adapter. Dual carbs should be small C.F.M. rated. The original AFB carbs work just fine. I have no idea what the CFM rating was, I would guess less than 600 C.F.M. together.
Dick Koch

Re: Dual 4 bbl. Air Cleaners.

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Ricky - I plan on installing dual 625 CFM Carter AFB carbs on my 318 "A" engine. I was concerned at first because so many people told me it was to much CFM. After further investigation (I googled Carter AFB Carbs) and found the "Selection and tuning guidlines on selecting the correct carbureter size." It's a very good explenation. I have some friends in my car club Sam & Linda Gianni, Sam a well know drag racer and drag engine builder was installed in the drag racing hall of fame last year. His wife Linda is an expert Carburator Rebuilder (she won't touch anything smaller than 750 CFM). I asked them about the dual setup I planned to use and they said no problem. The engine vacuum determines how much fuel the engine will need. The rear Carburetor is the main Carb. You are mostly running on 2 bbls. the second two bbls. kick in with more pedal pressure. With progressive linkage the front carb. doesn't kick in until you slam it. The dual setup on our cars is more for show than go. Ocassionaly showing someone in a chevrolet "what for". is not a problem. They said the concern about to much carburetor and too much fuel applies mainly when you have a radical drag engine with extremly high compression and a radical cam. Oh and thanks about the Neck Size on the dual air cleaner. They certainly won't fit my set up. I'm going to check out the dual Oval Mopar air cleaner and see if it will fit. I Thing the original WAFB Carbs on the 57 and 58's were 450 or 500 CFM. Ed Eckerson could probably shed a lot more light on this subject.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.