old discussion on AC brackets on B/RB motors

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Denver 59 Fin Convert

old discussion on AC brackets on B/RB motors

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Well, thought best to move the AC topic over to the Tech Support part. I believe I have been part of a previous discussion on this. I have seen 59 AC's Conpressors in the middle by the water pump and some like mine, over in the area where the Generator is usally located.
Now, my engine is a 1960 413 RB that was taken out of a 60 Chrylser New Yorker and I am just going by the brackets that were on this engine, (only had 85K on it when I rebuilt it) The AC was over where the Generator is normally at. My Compressor and brackets look factory, but it could have been a dealer add on. The car was long gone. I bought this from a friend and will have to ask him if his sisters car, (previous owner) had factory or dealer air on it.
I have had in earlier conversations from people saying that they have concurred location of the AC compressor in both locations on the B motor (361) The 413 were not authorized on normal production Plymouth. (Though rumor has it some were special orders for Police Fleet, Ambulance/Hearse conversion and some for the Air Force (4 door sedan and some station wagons) That is another topic that there is no hard info on other then a few people remember them back in the day.My question is manily for the B motor applications where AC was used as a factory option. I will use the factory engine set up but have an underdash unit till I get all the needed parts for the factory set up.
My Alternator brackets are the ones that normally house a Generator but it had an Alternator in the same spot. Proabably added or replaced later. A large metal hollow pipe like spacer filled in a lot of the space that was missing by going to an alternator. But the topic is the location of the AC compressor seems to be used in two different locations.
belve1c001.JPG
318 Poly mounting
belve1c002.JPG
318 Poly mounting
belve1c003.JPG
318 poly mounting
belve1c004.JPG
318 poly
belve1c005.JPG
318 Poly
belve1c006.JPG
318 Poly
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Re: old discussion on AC brackets on B/RB motors

Post by rogerh »

Here is a picture I took off the computer last year. The set up of compressor looks just like yours, John. This is a 59 Plymouth, but I don't recall which engine it was, or if they specified.
(Sorry, I cant figure out how to scan and then post a pic) :oops:
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

here is a picture of a picture...
PICT0162.JPG
:?
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

This appears to be a 318. I will keep looking for 361's with a/c
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Here is a picure of my 1960 413 after rebuilding and putting all the brackets back on. I had not painted the AC brackets at this time. but you can see that the AC would be kicked over ot the passenger side of the motor and the Generator/Alternator location is above the Power Steering pump location. I ahve not put on the dual belt tension idler yet either.
My 69 charger (440 ci) and 70 cuda (340 ci) have the AC (RV2) compressor located in the middle by the water pump area as most people would put it.
I can only surmise that maybe it was a dealer add on location, That would have meant more brackets to put it in the outer area and move more components around, but this may have happened. Or maybe a mid year produciton change. Though since my more is a 60 casting and 60 model year, would this had happened in 1960 instead of 59? It took a lot of sawzall work to cut off my exhaust maniforld end to allow the AC mouting way out to the passenger side.
What does everyone think? Both methods are acceptable I guess? Though I am not building a concurs correct car. I want it to be acceptable to the casual Mopar observer...But what is casual anymore...
I am finding out there is may different ways to mount an AC compressor. One of the pictures shows the Air Cleaner with a shaved facing on it. I thought for an AC compressor, but in this case it is for a long barrel generator mounted above the Power steering pump.

John Q.

John Q.
012 - Copy.JPG
My 60 413 Chrysler motor with AC all the way on the passenger side
!BN9Dr3!!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmVz3(BJsTL44k6!~~_0.jpg
!BSJgte!Bmk~$(KGrHgoH-DMEjlLluysEBKBwg4D19g~~_12.jpg
!BZl,frg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CMEjlLl)s+(BKn,IK,k0!~~_3.jpg
8d3d_1.jpg
8d3d_1.jpg
60Chrysler9.JPG
IMG_0332.jpg
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

John, Looking at your bracketry for the A/C, it is very impressive. I think this system would allow you to install a shaker and the dual four barrel system. If you can purchase a template for cutting your hood; I have the rest for a shaker system from a wrecked Hemi Challenger.Wow whatever you do,don't tell Pam yet, We'll suprise her. Happy holidays every one!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

RickyMopar, tempting to put on Shaker Hood system on the 59 Belvedere Convert...but maybe you should put it on your 61 300G first and let me know how it works! :lol:
My Bride, Pam, would wring my neck if I strayed to far from what came on that era Plymouth. She agreed to the 413 RB powerplant so we can tow someday. But a shaker hood, though desireable, would ruin the lines.
Don't you have a Shaker system on your 71 Challenger? Some of the parts would fit on my Cuda Convert, but the hood would not. Great idea to use the off-set AC system instead of the one in the middle. Then you could run AC on an E body and have a Shaker system.
You live about 15 mins away from me. So maybe I can swing buy and take a look at your 300G.

Merry Christmas to you too!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

John, OK... but I will need two single four barrel shaker units for the G.
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Rick, I think that was a special part number which escapes me right now! :lol:

I forgot that you would have long rams on the 300G. A miscue on my part.

Maybe you can mock it up on a car model so we can see what it would look like!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

RICKYMOPAR

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

John, I heard you were on the mend. So...I'll stop buy and pick up your exhaust manifolds and give them a cleaning and treatment that looks like new and never goes away. the white has to go away. :( I can do the work 'being I heard your were laid up at this time'. I will also bring over the extra early B engine bracketry that I have left over from other projects including the plug wire looms. Call me when convenient @ 303-913-4866. Rickymopar