Ron, Marjo and Matthew

Fins59

Re: Ron, Marjo and Matthew

Post by Fins59 »

Kinda reminds me of a time about 15 years ago at the Iola Car Show when I first saw Jesse Ruffalo's '59 Sport Fury there. He came walking up to me and I said something like "do you see the tears in my eyes"? And he remarked something, and I said "I had one like that awhile back and I traded it in for a Mustang". Luckily/happily, I found one a few years later.
This story kind of puts those same tears in my eyes, but everything is supposed to happen for a reason so it'll work out. I bet Roger's going to be looking for another one.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Congratulations to the Keig Family and condolences to Roger.
I am sure the Convertible will be well taken care off and we will still see plenty of pictures from the new owners.

Roger, you can still offer your expert opinion - the only thing you are missing is the ability to verify things by walking to your garage.
I hope the home building business picks up for you.

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Ron Keij

Post by Ron Keij »

The car is coming to it's new home soon. It arrived in LA a little over a week ago and we have been waiting for the boat to arrive, and today it finally arrived in the harbour.
Current location.jpg
If anybody is near and willing to make some pics they are welcome :) But we do have a picture of the boat:
The vessel.jpg
The estimated arrival date is November 21st, that is right I am in the middle of my US trip then. Matthew promised to take care of picking up the car and will have it cleaned, polished and waxed before we get home :mrgreen:
Cars are to be Enjoyed, not Admired...
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Matthew mentioned to me about going to the French Riviera on November 22nd for an extended covertible vacation.... :P

Tout suite!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Today was the big day! She was ready for pick up.

I was lucky as it was raining all day except for the time that we picked up the cvt and drove it home. After i parked it in the garage it started raining again
When it was dry again i took some better pics

Back to the garage, i removed some stickers from transport and checked everything.
There was some small stuff in the glove box so time to clean, got it empty and started on the trunk. All the stuff out and checked it all.
Great packing Roger!

As you can see in 1 of the pics above of the interior 1 of the buckles was missing on the drivers seat but it was in the glove box so i got that on again

And we started with the back of the seats like this

After a couple of minutes we had this
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Wow! So happy for you and your Dad (Marjo too!) I had never seen the interior of this car and it is very nicely done. Keep the pictures rolling! :P

Are you going to sleep in the car tonight?

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hey matthew,
I am so glad you got it started okay, and got home with no rain! When it is rainy, there is a slow drip from the header, right on the steering wheel.
The passenger side quarter window will go up/down- that switch is upside down (easy fix), and all window alignments will have to be fiddled with..(I hope nobody burned out the motor trying to make it go up/down).
The original factory seat buckle fell off a few months ago. I am impressed that you found a way to re-attach it! Glue?
You did a great job installing the ash receivers. All it took was making an "X" with knife in each seatback!
I hope you enjoy all the extras in the trunk.
savvy59

Post by savvy59 »

Matthew, Ron and Marjo,

I am glad that you have a new addition to your family. The car seemed to arrived unharmed.

I sent a car to Germany a few years back and there are no promises that the car would arrive unharmed. I was not allowed to ship anything in the trunk except wheel covers.

The Customs folks said leave the keys in the drivers door and walk away when we were at the marine terminal. We had a real bad feeling about the whole processs, but it turned out fine. Now some Pizza shop owner in Germany is trying to navigate small streets in a 1976 Ford Thunderbird not to mention the cost of Petrol! Cost to ship was $750.

I am glad eveything went well!

Curt
There's Nothing Finer Than My '59er!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Yesterday i tried fixing the drivers side window.
It just didn't wanted to go up and made a strange rattling noise. When you pulled the window up it started going. Down was not a problem.
So i took the door panel off and checked out what was wrong.
Found out that the motor was turning but the weird rubber thing that is on the motor wasn't turning. Tried to put a clamp on it but it was too big.
Got a ty-rep around it now and it works but need something else.

Roger, i pushed against the front of the seat and pulled the little clip that holds the buckle out of the seat. It was a fight but after a while i re-attached the clip to the buckle again
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote: Got a ty-rep around it now and it works but need something else.
A tie wrap worked for me, Matthew - been holding up for 5 years.I used washers to occupy the space, to help keep it from slipping off:

http://www.59plymouth.net/59forum/viewt ... p=607#p607

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

I understand what you did to re-attach the buckle, but what will prevent it from happening again? Those original buckles are so fragile.
Are there any spare parts in the trunk to replace the rubber "coupler" of the window motor? Maybe someone is making new replacements...I could ask Jeff Carter. Or you will have to give it a Morton Fix, or a "Matthew Keij Repair"!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

I hope the buckle will stay in place or else i need to do something else.

I didn't found parts to fix the window in the trunk, we also didn't have these. It will hold for a while i hope.
Have been busy with other things today.
Car had a complete polish and it is soooo shiny. Top needed to go up when we started polishing to protect the interior.
Top had some troubles getting up and then it happened. An arm from the top on the drivers side broke :cry:
So we need to find a replacement or fix this one, probably going to be a replacement
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Matthew, if this is the drivers main pivot arm by the wheel well, I may have an extra one. Let me know if that is what you need or not. Take a picture of it if you can.

When I picked up my car 6 years ago, the passenger rear main pivot arm was broken. So I had scored on ebay both sides (hard to find any convert frame stuff!). I kept the other one in case I every had Dutch friends who might need one! :P

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Denver 59 Fin Convert

Matthew, there are part number that were cast into each convert frame arms and sections. They are raised numbers.

John Q.
100_4127.JPG
Teh first picture is of my original main pivot arms. You can see that the bottom one had the bottom part of the pivot hole broke away. It was never found in the bottom of the car quarter window area. The other picture is of the Drivers side main pivot arm with an undamaged main pivot hole.
100_4128.JPG
Here is a close up of the cast in part number of #1708387 (from what I can decipher) the broken passenger side has a part number of 17830686.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Almost unbelieveable! :shock: I never abused the mechanism, and I never took it apart.
What bad timing! :oops:
A complete folding top set-up is exeedingly rare, but John found that individual parts are still "out there".
John, I don't know what sort of metal these are. Do you think they can be welded?