Towing question

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Oldschool34

Towing question

Post by Oldschool34 »

Hi everyone.
New guy here. My name is Ernie D. I live in Orlando Fla. Let me begin by saying AWESOME WEB SITE!

My Forward look journey began last December with the purchase of a 59 Belvedere. The addiction took hold quickly and I now have a 59 Sport Fury parked next to her.

I'm wondering what the towing capacity of these cars is? I'm hoping it's plausable to tow a 2,200 Lb. 34 Ford on a lightweight car trailer 1200 miles to Detroit and back for the Woodward Dream cruise? I have the 318 Poly. I don't know what the differential ratio is.
Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ernie
RICKYMOPAR

Re: Towing question

Post by RICKYMOPAR »

Ernie; I assure you it is better to tow with your Plymouth, than with the old Ford. Automatic transmission equiped vehicles make better tow units. I have towed many thousands of problem free miles with Power Flite and Torque Flite cast iron transmissions. Make sure your radiator and transmission oil cooler are in good shape. The only thing I would be concerned with is the difficulty in finding repair parts for the old girl, if you do have a problem. Take along a club roster and seek help if you would have a problem on the road. Electric brakes on your trailer is a must. You know the condition of your vehicle better than any one, use common sense. Good luck! Rickymopar
P.S. AAA or triple A membership is great insurance to a happier trip.