Crank case vent gases

Got a question? This is the place to ask
ginog01

Crank case vent gases

Post by ginog01 »

Hi All,

I think I know what the reponses are going to be for this, but here goes :lol: . There are two "caps" with what looks like aluminum pads inside them which sit on the valve covers to vent the crank gases. Is there something available which will eliminate some of the odor going back into the cockpit of the var. The reason for this question is that my wife can not ride in the car longer than a few minutes without getting a splitting headache from the fumes. I also end up feeling a bit 02 depleted by the end of a long trip :mrgreen: .

Any suggestions would be appreciated as to how to at least cut this back 50%. Thanks!
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
rogerh

Re: Crank case vent gases

Post by rogerh »

From the factory, the V-8 engines came with a cap for oil filling on one valve cover, and on the other there was a cap stuffed with wire or foam which was supposed to keep contaminants from getting back INTO the engine. This second cap had a draft tube connected to it which hung down below the engine, at frame level basically, and at road speed the road draft was to take the fumes away.
If your car has significant "blowby"...fumes coming from the valve covers, and you don't have the draft tube, you can get a cap with fitting to which you attach a rubber hose. The other end of hose would attach to a fitting connected to your aircleaner. (This set up was the beginning of air pollution controls). Hope this makes sense.
You may also have an exhaust leak, or oil dripping onto hot exhaust. Look around.
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Roger,

That makes sense. I am not sure where it would go into the air box, since I have the original round one. Or maybe it would come with the attachment and cut an opening in it. I have zero leaks on the exhaust, only a small drip from the oil pan, which I am fixing with the copper washer recommended by a member of this site. Thanks for the solution :idea: , I will give it a shot. Have a great weekend!
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Gino,
To avoid the Rube Goldberg look, drill a hole in the bottom of your aircleaner and install a nipple (maybe has to be an elbow nipple) which will accept a 3/4" black rubber hose. A new valve cover cap w/ nipple should be available at your local parts store. (I had one, but I sold most of my stuff to John Fowlie this past summer, so I don't know if I still have it.)
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

My car is 361 w/ Golden COmmando aircleaner (my HT had the recirculating system I spoke of).
Here is a pic of a draft tube, in place.
PICT0161.JPG
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Roger,

How far back on the frame does the rubber tube run? At idle (sitting still), if you run it to the center of the car, would it vent into the car? I guess this is a dumb question. Can this set up be done on both sides? Thanks again for your assistance.
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Roger,

How do I get the small picture of my car on the post, like yours???
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Gino,
The factory draft tube in the photo is made of steel..it is long enough to reach the area of the frame...that's it. I suppose you could go with a long rubber tube fitted to a nipple in an after-market valvecover cap. Better for the environment if you pipe it into the aircleaner. Your car has the 318? I will not ridicule you for any of your questions!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

As for piping both sides, here is what I suggest:
Apparently you have a fair amount of blow-by. If I were you, I would buy a tight cap for the left side. One with no venting. Then at the passenger side, I would pipe it into the aircleaner. The draft tube works well when there is average blow-by...it seems your car has MORE than average blow-by. 1959 Plymouths were notorious for their piston rings not seating, even from new.
For posting pics, I can't help much.
I went out and took the picture. I put the memory card into the cable-connected device that reads the card. The computer loaded it automatically. Next, I wrote my message to you. Then I scrolled down to Attachments. I saw where it said Browse. I clicked that. All the pics in my card came up, listed only by number. I knew it was the last one on the list, so I clicked on that. Then I had to click on something else , and dang it if I can remember what it was!
I will try to get you the full directions which work for me, ASAP.
Roger
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Testing one two three
PICT0159.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

It's me again, here is how I go about it:
Write message
scroll down to Upload Attachment
Click on that
Click on Browse
Click on the pic you want to send
Click OPEN
Click on Add the File
Click on Submit

-roger-
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

ginog01 wrote:Roger,

How do I get the small picture of my car on the post, like yours???
Gino, unfortunately I have to do it for you -- there's a security breach involving the directories where these pictures (called "avatars") are loaded. So, I have to do it for you.

...and I've done it! How's that?

Dan
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

The Wizard is the Wizard, is the Wizard!
And the Wizard has spoken!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Hmmm, so where can I find these photos?
ginog01

Post by ginog01 »

Roger,

On the engine size, it is a 318 w/ 30 0ver w/ 4 barrel carb, it has three on the tree and runs pretty well when floored. My late father in law use to take it to the drag races at Maple Grove, PA back in the day. It has a dodge crank which makes it very difficult to get accurate timing, which should be 10 degrees btc, points distributor, it has substantial blow by. The engine was replaced after the second accident in the 70's, the front collision damaged the engine. My father in law and I were on the hunt for a golden commando like you have, but he was to sick to continue. I have a bunch of chrome and a trunk lid and a couple of trannys. I understand the metal pipe and running the other into the air box, I will give that a try. Where can I find the caps for the valve covers?

On the photo's, I tried uploading and says the picture is to large..I will continue to try. Great to continue this string with you.
318 Fury Engine.jpg
Gino
59 Plymouth Sport Fury
Lancaster, PA