1959 Chrysler Corporation Corporate Report to Shareholders

Your banter here!
mrtester

1959 Chrysler Corporation Corporate Report to Shareholders

Post by mrtester »

Found on the Imperial Club's website is Chrysler's 1959 annual corporate report to its shareholders and investors. Interesting information from a corporate point of view, including the closing of the '59 model production run, as most Chrysler historians will tell you that 1959 was a year of "lasts" for all of Chrysler Corporation. The last flathead six in a passenger car, the last of the 1957-59 body style for all Chrysler car brands except Imperial, and the last use of a single full-size car line to serve all buyers. All of the report's pages are on this link, and it covers all Chrysler brands including Plymouth, but the pages won't display properly on my computer monitor.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1960/Cor ... htm#larger
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Wow, are those pages professionally done! Thanks for the tip.

Are you using MS Internet Explorer? If you move the pointer to the lower right hand corner of the picture, an "expansion" button appears. If you click on it, the picture becomes larger than the screen, allowing you to scroll over the full size of the image. This site uses that technique as well. By default, IE scales the picture to fit on the screen, but that sometimes renders the text unreadable. Try it again!

Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Faulkner wrote:Are you using MS Internet Explorer? If you move the pointer to the lower right hand corner of the picture, an "expansion" button appears. If you click on it, the picture becomes larger than the screen, allowing you to scroll over the full size of the image. This site uses that technique as well. By default, IE scales the picture to fit on the screen, but that sometimes renders the text unreadable. Try it again!

Dan
I think that is done by Windows XP. My parents have it but i don't. I have IE but my computer has Windows ME on it and i don't that expansion button
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

Matthew Keij wrote:
Faulkner wrote:Are you using MS Internet Explorer? If you move the pointer to the lower right hand corner of the picture, an "expansion" button appears. If you click on it, the picture becomes larger than the screen, allowing you to scroll over the full size of the image. This site uses that technique as well. By default, IE scales the picture to fit on the screen, but that sometimes renders the text unreadable. Try it again!

Dan
I think that is done by Windows XP. My parents have it but i don't. I have IE but my computer has Windows ME on it and i don't that expansion button
Actually, Matthew, it's a feature of IE, not Windows. The browser that came with your ME machine is out of date (I have a laptop with ME and IE V6.01, and this feature works). Go to

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

and update your browser, and you'll have it too.

Good luck
Dan
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

It's oke ;-) I think it's anoying when your browser make the large pics small. The quality of the pics is not so good then. Only when you make them bigger they are good again.
Hey! Why are we discuss a IE thing here?? This is a 59 Plymouth forum! :D
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
mrtester

Post by mrtester »

The "lasts" of Chrysler in '59 also include the last year of coventional body-on-frame assembly for all Mopar passenger car vehicles. And sadly, Chrysler closed one of its assembly plants in 1959. The Evansville, Indiana assembly plant made 1959 Plymouth cars until the last one rolled off the assembly line in about May or June of that year. Chrysler then tranferred Evansville production to a new assembly plant in St. Louis. Good for St. Louis, bad for Evansville.

As the VIN coding is different for 1959 vs 58, I could not tell what the 4th digit code was for that 33,000 mile 59 Belvedere being auctioned on eBay.
Its VIN is M256131472, and it's located in Indianapolis. That number 6 in the VIN code could be Evansville. Or, it could be Detroit-Lynch Road Assembly, but I doubt it. Chrysler has a habit of assigning lower numbers to identify its Detroit-area assembly plants. Compare to the 4-code for Faulkner's Los Angeles-Maywood assembly plant.
Fins59

vin #'s

Post by Fins59 »

According to my '59 Plymouth Service Manual Supplement the 4th digit in that vin # (6) indicates that e-bay Belevedere was built in Detroit. Here is the breakdown in the book on production plants. #3 - Evansville #4 - Los Angeles #5 - Newark #6 - Detroit. My 59 SF was built in Evansville and according to build record was shipped to Los Bantos, CA. You would think the LA plant would supply the CA dealers. Anybody have any info on this? Mine has a early production # - 1838.