1959 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible

rogerh

Re: 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury Convertible

Post by rogerh »

Have your photos ready to post by putting them into your My Pictures section of your Windows. Give them a name in your file, or remember the jpeg number.
When you reply here, a box shows up at the bottom of the screen, saying Upload attachment. Click on that, and enter your jpeg numbers.
These are very crude directions, but it is the only way I know how to do it.
Since I was a teenager, I've always wanted a Bugeye. Had a few opportunities, but then I'd look at the tiny car and knew I'd be afraid to share the road with lifted trucks, Lincoln Navigators and Cadillac Escalades.
When I lived in CT, I commuted to work down country lanes in a '66 Midget. That was fun!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Can't wait for the pics! You are going to enjoy it, I'm sure about that!

If the dual 4 setup is complete, go for it. You don't have to put it on. An extra note, the coil bracket is also different.
I was looking into putting the dual 4 setup on as I've got 2 carbs. Need intake and air cleaners.
Backed out of it a little bit when I heard the correct exhaust manifold goes well over $1000.
Would still love it to put a setup like that on the car.
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

redsportsfury wrote:...I would put some photo's of the bugeye if anyone can tell me how. I know it is not a SF but it is a classic.

Jerry
OK, it ain't a bugeye, but it sure was fun. I could reach over the door and touch the ground...

Dan
NoComment.jpg
back when I had hair
"If it's new, Plymouth's got it!"
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Disco Dan was the understudy to John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fevor", a little know fact.... :wink:

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Wow, Dan, you look to be seven feet tall there!
Was wearing a stop sign on your head a local fad?
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

I will attach some photo's of the 59 but they are thumbnail and inside a trailer so not very good. I am also putting a few of my bugeye i received on Thursday from AZ. I have started to stripe it down for full restoration.

Hope you enjoy the shots. Hope they do not mess anything up.
Jerry
10.jpg
12.jpg
20.jpg
15.jpg
SAM_0125.JPG
SAM_0227.JPG
SAM_0228.JPG
SAM_0230.JPG
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Yeah, I am not able to enlarge the thumbnails you posted. I can see the brake master cylinder and power booster are not installed. I assume the parts are around somewhere, and that you will have a fun time installing them.
The rest of the car looks VERY promising!
We are here for you when the time comes for re-assembly.
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

thanks for the support Roger. i see you are from the great state of Wash. I am a Bellevue graduate class of 65. my brothers live in stanwood and lake stevens area.

i have completed about 15 cars in my life time and they were mostly a lot of boxes brought home and get started projects but i love doing it.

i was just so surprised to be able to get a car like this. i am very excited get started. i want to take an inventory right away and see if i have everything. i did see in the storage building new chrome pieces wrapped in paper and plastic. i am hoping he has it all ready to go together.

Jerry
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Not wanting to hijack your thread, just long enough to say I was born and raised in downstate NY. I came to WA in 1990 seeking my fortune. Bought a Belv HT in '93, sold it a few years later, and moved on to several other finned cars before buying a rusted-out Belv cvt from Iowa. Spent 10 years restoring that one; I currently don't have a finned car.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Jerry - Those pictures of Dan are deceiving, there, he is a mixture of Frat and Cat. Dig those shoes and watch chain, Cool. Now back to your convert, I just did a frame off restoration on a SF 2 dr. hardtop and had no problem sourcing repair panels, trim, parts etc. We will be more than glad to help you if needed. My car was blessed with a 318 CI engine and factory AC. It started out as a 2 bbl, then a 4 bbl, and I installed dual Quads. My setup has and electric choke on the primary carburetor so no need for a ex. manifold change. Besides like rodger I didn't even know there was such an animal. The car has the original factory cam and run smooth as silk but when you punch it it takes off like a scalded dog. Around town I get 9 mpg more or less and on the highway bucking the wind I got 12.7 with a tail wind it got 14.4. I thought maybe I didn't fill the gas tank enough so I added a gallon of gas and that equated to 13 mpg. Not bad when my SF with a 361 get 13.5 mpg more or less. My dual quad setup is more for show than go. If I was you (I should be so lucky) I would leave the 361 in your car with the single 4 barrell because my 361 single blows the doors off my 318 dual quad. Good luck with your car. Your bugeye reminded me of my uncles Crosley Hotshot. He was away in the Big One and my grandmother used to drive it all over Bay St. Louis, Mississippe where I was born. As far as I'm concerned nothing relieves stress more than jumping in you old car and driving straight to Kentucy Fried Chicken.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
big m

Post by big m »

Welcome to the site!

Looks like two very worthwhile projects you've gotten, I'll be anxiously awaiting progress photos!

---John
In rust we trust!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Dick, just to correct you.

Your 318 started as a 4 barrel, swapped to a 2 barrel, swapped to a 4 barrel and now you put the dual quads on :wink:
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Matthew - How come is dat?
Dick
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Sport Fury's always had a 318 4 barrel. Even on the optional 361.

Some Belvederes and all Fury's had the 318 2 barrel.
redsportsfury

Post by redsportsfury »

I made contact with several carpet manufactures today. the question I have is for this SF what color would the carpet have been? Is it cut or looped pile? What kind of trunk mat would have been used?

I got prices from 140 to 255 for two piece carpet. I assume it was two piece?

the trunk mat were vinyl and 100 to 135.

Thank you guys again for your help.
Now back to the bugeye.
Jerry