Good restoration sources

Got a question? This is the place to ask
Mark Merritt

Good restoration sources

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hello;Iam looking for good restoration sources for interior panels,headliners,window parts/sweeps,etc. I live in Erie Pa. and just picked up a 1959 Plymouth fury 4dr sdn.Solid body just needs time spent with it.Has 318 torqueflite.I would appreciate any info.Also did the fury come with dual horns and where were they located?It also has a vacuum hissing sound when stepping on the brake pedal [leak]? Does my car have a fuse block? Were back-up lights optional? Mine doesnt have them,or a windshield washer[option]? Thanks Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Re: Good restoration sources

Post by Denver 59 Fin Convert »

Greeting and welcome to the site. There are a few places you can get weatherstripping. One that I and many use is Gary Goers in Montana. He offers a lot of reproduction parts for many Forward Look cars.
www.garygoers.com/ He is presently on Catalog# 10, I know it is in our tech section somewhere but I will let others find that for you. They may have the headliner too!

You should have two horns in front of the radiator forward of the hood latch. That is if you don't have an AC car, AC equipped cars would have it on the passenger side on the engine side of the radiator to make room for the AC condenser.

Don't know about what was standard on Furys but my Belvedere did not come wtih back up lights, Though you could order them when the car was ordered or as an after delivery sale.

Reproduction Doors and rear interior door panels can be obtained from a company called SMS Auto Fabric in Oregon. www.smsautofabrics.com/ You can also order seat material for your local auto trim company to sew up for you.

A full set of four will go for around $900. Order early, takes around 5 months to get. So order now for next Spring!

Sounds like a vacuum leak in the hose or if you have a bellows type of Power Brake Booster, there maybe a tear or rip in that material. If you have a solid one, then check and replace the vacumn hose. Also, check your auxiliary vacuum can to make sure there is not rust thru on it.

Send some pictures when you can on the Show your Ride Thread.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

"Chrysler Corporation-Extra Care in Engineering"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56963213@N ... 457983491/
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

John Q; thanks for the info,it helps alot!!!!! Iwill try to get some pics up,I am the one that bought the plymouth from the "detroit" area red 4dr sdn.I am"55 survivor" because I also own an unrestored 55 Buick.My wife purchased the plymouth,we both love the look,it is a very beautiful car!! Erie has N O N E !!!!!! Lots tri 5 chevys chevelles,camaros,corvettes etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.We have been to many many shows and never see any late 50's mopar!!! I have a photo of my wife standing in front of her fathers 58 plymouth when it was new,she was 2 yrs old [awesome].Thanks very much for your help,you will be hearing from me again thanks Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

And more info!
Back up lights were an option on all cars! Even Sport Fury's.
Windshield washers were an option too on all cars.

Can you email me some pics and info?
I am making a 59 Plymouth database. I can decode most of the data plate (if it has one) and the VIN
July 14th 2019 “the soul crusher”
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hello; Matt,Igot a few pics,the numbers are as such SCHED0602,NO3056,MODELMP2H,BT263,PTXX,TR324,SP--, VIN# M264105576 Thanks Mark P.S. What is the correct tire size[bias]and correct white wall width,rim colors,possibly paint code # ? Thanks agian!!!!!!
IMG_0033.JPG
PIC
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

Handsome car! You should be able to get answers to all your restoration questions here. :D
Denver 59 Fin Convert

Mark, Looks like you (your wife) scored on the 59 and it is from the Detroit area is even more of a miracle due to the use of salt during the winter months. Your 55 looks good too! But a red 59 can't get much better then that!

Keep asking questions and you will get almost everyone answered! People love sharing their collective knowledge to help a fellow Forum member.

PS I see the factory/Dealer back up light kits for sale all the time on Ebay. I will keep an eye out for the next one that pops up. It is an easy option to update. It will take a little acrobatics to get the reverse back up light switch installed on your Automatic Push button assembly, but after that it is a breeze!

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

Nice!!
Looks like a perfect cat with the hard to find front valance.
Do you have some interior shots? Think I see a deluxe steering wheel in there. Post some engine shots too and I'll send you a nice list.

On the codes:
Sched: scheduled build date: February 6th 1959
No: 3056, not figured out yet
Model: MP2H: M, 59 / P, Plymouth / 2, V8 / H, model code for Fury
BT: Body Type, 263 = Fury V8, 4dr sedan
PT: Paint, XX, iceberg white top and iceberg white body (so the car has been repainted for sure)
Tr, trim. This is the interior color. 324, grey seats with red bolsters.
Sp, special orders. Not seen very much. Also on this car no special orders

The VIN:
M, model 1959
2, Plymouth V8
6, Fury
4, build in L.A
1, sequential number
05576, 5576th Fury build in the L.A plant

Stock tire size was 7.50x14 and optional were the 8.00x14 tires.
Did some research and the 8.00x14 is 215/75-14. I believe the correct wide wall should be 2 1/4.
Your rims should be the color argent, just like your front valance.
Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Matt; Thanks for the info,I know the car must have been white because that is the color of the jambs[still white],I purchased the car near ann arbor michigan but my research say's it spent most of it's life and original purchase[Desert Motors] in las vegas NV.I think in 1999 it went to Idaho for 11 yrs.then Michigan that is when it was painted red.The original owners names are on a decal still on the inside glove box door.[Dudley,Violet Pollard lasvegas NV.] Will try to post inside pics[it needs work].Is the "valance" what is under the front bumper? The steering wheel is "toast" the horn ring is gone,will need a recast. Motor has 113,000 mi.has a rear main leak but is fairly sound,I am toying the idea of doing the motor and tranny.My car has a radio but no antennae,maybe puttied over the hole?Where were they located? Does the 318 engine have any chronic problems? Or a reliable one,how good are torqueflite tranny's ? Thanks Mark
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!
Matthew Keij

Post by Matthew Keij »

It's good to know the history of a car.

The valance is indeed the part under the front bumper. While parking these were used to see how far you could pull up to the curb. A lot of them are missing or banged up.

If you have a deluxe steering wheel the horn ring can probably be found at BigM. Maybe someone has an extra.
The standard horn rings pop up every now and then.

The 318 is a strong engine and was used for many years. The changed some stuff but the engine pretty much stayed the same.
Rick can tell you a lot more about these engines and torqueflites.

The antenna hole was probably in the passenger side front fender. The optional dual antennas were located between the rear window and trunk lid.
Dick Koch

Post by Dick Koch »

Hi Mark - Welcome to the site. You may have a hidden radio antenna, check to see if there is an antenna wire in the radio and where it leads to?????.
Probable the most reliable engines ever made were the Chrysler 318 and slant 6, bar none.
Dick.
Life is Beautiful! Sex, Beer & Mopars.
rogerh

Post by rogerh »

the dual rear antennas are fetching a big price, so maybe the paint shop "lost" them.
You probably had a front passenger side antenna, and since the original tube radio, if it hasnt been restored or updated, doesnt work, the owner ordered the antenna removed.
318's were indeed great engines, subject mostly to valve stem wear, and leaky valve cover gaskets. The torqueflites are bulletproof, so I've been told.
Bernie B.

Post by Bernie B. »

Good looking car - if you would like to trace it's history via Chrysler Historical Services, follow this link: http://wpchryslermuseum.org/page.aspx?pid=400

Cost is $45 and you must prove you own the car, details on their site. Will tell you where it was delivered new, all options, etc., to the best of their ability to read the microfilm records.

You were given good info by Matthew except for build date. He's in Europe and they refer to dates in the opposite fashion of how we do in the states, so "0602" means a scheduled assembly date of June 2, 1959, not February 6th. Sorry Matthew, but this side of the pond got off to a bad start a few hundred years ago, I guess.

Good luck and enjoy the car.

Bernie
Denver 59 Fin Convert

All great answers! The 318 Poly Head motor was made up to and thru the 1966 Model year. Then it was replaced in 1967 by the 318 LA motor (318, 340 and 360) So plenty of parts are around to re-build them.

The Golden Commando Motor, 361 Cu. In. is the same B block as the later on 383 motors of the late 60's and later (in 1971) to become the 400 cu. in. motor that went thru the Smog engine era. Again, ton's of parts to rebuild them. The 318 Poly head motor is a strong dependable power plant to run with. Put the dual 4 bbl intake on it and it screams!

Very few, if any, of the engine parts interchange from the Poly motor to the later LA small block.

John Q.
John Quinn
Arvada, Colo
(NW suburb of Denver)

Mark Merritt

Post by Mark Merritt »

Hello;I started to pull the motor and tranny,it runs,don;t knock or smoke,has a rear main leak,but 113,000mi. she is a little tired.Grabbing the tranny also and have it done.I'am looking for a motor builder and want the same components to go back to the car.It is a little more than I bargained for but when done it will be a driver.While it is out I'am going over the front steering[motor gone Ican 'camp out ' in there].Alot of the rubber is toast,probably replace the control arm bushings,ball joints etc.Iam sure I will be doing the car justice,the interior will have to wait,plus it will give me something to do this winter!! I sent some pics of what I have going on,including a bonus,my Buick. QUESTION Were the all dashes padded? Mine is not.Thanks for your input,i give them alot of wieght,I don't know as much about 59 plymouths as i do about 55 buicks but I do know the plymouth is easier to work on!! Thanks Mark
IMG_0006_1.JPG
IMG_0004_1.JPG
IMG_0005_1.JPG
IMG_0002_1.JPG
IMG_0001_1.JPG
ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!